Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Motorcycle Consumer News.......  (Read 2447 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Motorcycle Consumer News.......
« on: December 26, 2006, 05:49:23 PM »

Reading the latest issue last week........I was surprised to read about all the Goldwing riders that are unhappy with the quality of their motorcycles.  Some even mention how happy Harley owners are, in comparrison.

Hell, one guy is switching to a Harley Ultra Classic because it has more "stock" features and the fit and finish is so much better.  I laugh to myself and wonder.......have they not been lurking on some of the Harley web sites.

I also wonder........is there just a certain percentage of people that are unhappy with all manufacturers (including motorcycle manufacturers)? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  I've been on a number of boat forums, too and see that it doesn't matter the make or model......there are still going to be complaints from a percentage of the owners.

Just some thoughts.........you guys and girls can post yours......
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: Motorcycle Consumer News.......
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 06:03:11 PM »

JC,

I think you hit the nail on the head.

As PT Barnum once said, "you can please all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

There will be among most any group those peole who are not satisfied, for whatever reason.  I doubt this to be a bad thing, without people voicing there opinion there would be no reason for a manufacturer to improve.  Most likely there are Harley riders riding Hondas that wish they had their Harley and vice versa, and some who haven't ridien the other brand hat want to.

PT Barnum also said, "there's an ass for very seat."  Take that as you will, but sometimes you may be the last ass for a particular seat, this becomes a problem when you are trying to sell/get rid of your last ride and can't find a buyer.  In the car business it is usually a poor paint combo or high price that causes the condition.  With bikes it can be all kinds of things.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 06:27:35 PM »

JC...I am of the mind that some people just look at everything through a negative filter, so you couldn't make them happy if you gave them a job as a taster in a pie factory.

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 07:12:40 PM »

I have seen in the last couple of years people who rode "japs" and made bad critics about Harley and now they are riding products from MoCo [smiley=apple.gif] [smiley=cucumber.gif] [smiley=mango.gif] [smiley=pepper.gif]

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 07:57:19 PM »

JC...I am of the mind that some people just look at everything through a negative filter, so you couldn't make them happy if you gave them a job as a taster in a pie factory.

WHAT KIND OF PIE?    [smiley=nixweiss.gif] ;D [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 08:14:05 PM »

... [highlight]you couldn't make them happy if you gave them a job as a taster in a pie factory.[/highlight]

How about fitting room attendant at Victoria's Secret?

[size=9](That's the new job I have planned after I retire.)[/size]

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 08:15:09 PM »

Hi JCZ,
I have noticed the same on some truck websites too. I think it comes from the fact that the majority of car,truck,boat or bike owners just use the vehicle as transportation and don't get passionate about the ride no matter of what brand. So we never hear from the vast majority of owners.
Then you have the passionate few who search out owner websites to learn or network together, many times it is due to a problem that they want to learn how to deal with. That causes the issue where the only posts made are by the folks having problems.
As an example if you look at an area such as transmissions how many threads begin with questioins or complaints such as "I have this noise" or "It has no power or it broke,etc."
You very seldom see "It's working great".
I think in order to get a fair sampling you need to have polls that ask a netrual question such as "Have you had this transmission problem yes or no" and try to get everyone possible to respond to get a larger sampling. Maybe breaking it down by model year or type.
Also maybe a poll asking "If knowing what you know now would you buy that product again?" it would encourage a balanced response and a better idea if it is truly a problem or is it just a small percentage of very vocal owners. (Compairing number of problems vs. number of vehicles of that type made.)
Personnally I would love to see J.D. Powers or somebody independant do a survey of vehicles not at the one year mark where everyone feels like they need to justify their purchase and they are still in the "honeymoon phase" but maybe 3 or 4 years after buying to get a better picture of the good or bad points.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 08:23:38 PM »

How about [highlight]fitting room attendant at Victoria's Secret[/highlight]?

[size=9](That's the new job I have planned after I retire.)[/size]

Jerry
Where do I send my application? [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif]

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 08:51:42 PM »

WHAT KIND OF PIE?    [smiley=nixweiss.gif] ;D [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]

Dammit!  I was gonna ask that 'til I saw you beat me to it! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 09:21:57 PM »

JC,

I think you hit the nail on the head.

As PT Barnum once said, "you can [highlight]please[/highlight] all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time but you can't [highlight]please[/highlight] all of the people all of the time."

There will be among most any group those peole who are not satisfied, for whatever reason.  I doubt this to be a bad thing, without people voicing there opinion there would be no reason for a manufacturer to improve.  Most likely there are Harley riders riding Hondas that wish they had their Harley and vice versa, and some who haven't ridien the other brand hat want to.

PT Barnum also said, "there's an ass for very seat."  Take that as you will, but sometimes you may be the last ass for a particular seat, this becomes a problem when you are trying to sell/get rid of your last ride and can't find a buyer.  In the car business it is usually a poor paint combo or high price that causes the condition.  With bikes it can be all kinds of things.

Hey Rjob isn't that "fool" instead of please??

[smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 12:12:02 AM »

Hey Rjob isn't that "fool" instead of please??

[smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

The quote you speak of was given by Mr. Lincoln: You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time. But you cannot fool all people all of the time.
Abraham Lincoln  ( http://www.calumcoburn.co.uk/quotation/index.php )

I believe the "please some" quote was a Barnum rip-off of Mr. Lincoln.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 12:12:47 AM by Rjob749 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 01:59:14 AM »

The quote you speak of was given by Mr. Lincoln: You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time. But you cannot fool all people all of the time.
Abraham Lincoln  ( http://www.calumcoburn.co.uk/quotation/index.php )

I believe the "please some" quote was a Barnum rip-off of Mr. Lincoln.

Roger, I think that's a "probably-maybe" attribution.  That quote has traditionally been given to Lincoln from a Clinton, Illinois speech made in 1858.  To my knowledge no record has ever been found actually documenting it though.  

Many of his campaign speeches were actually quite good.  And he didn't back away at all from the glib or humorous little quip.  However.... the line isn't in a copy of the speech printed in the local newpaper the day after the speech in question.  The only historical citation to back it up has always been a couple of people who in 1910 claimed to remember hearing Lincoln saying it 52 years earlier.  

It's the kind of thing that sounds like Lincoln at the time.  But no one really knows for sure.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 03:16:35 AM »

Hi JCZ,
I have noticed the same on some truck websites too. I think it comes from the fact that the majority of car,truck,boat or bike owners just use the vehicle as transportation and don't get passionate about the ride no matter of what brand. So we never hear from the vast majority of owners.
Then you have the passionate few who search out owner websites to learn or network together, many times it is due to a problem that they want to learn how to deal with. That causes the issue where the only posts made are by the folks having problems.
As an example if you look at an area such as transmissions how many threads begin with questioins or complaints such as "I have this noise" or "It has no power or it broke,etc."
You very seldom see "It's working great".
I think in order to get a fair sampling you need to have polls that ask a netrual question such as "Have you had this transmission problem yes or no" and try to get everyone possible to respond to get a larger sampling. Maybe breaking it down by model year or type.
Also maybe a poll asking "If knowing what you know now would you buy that product again?" it would encourage a balanced response and a better idea if it is truly a problem or is it just a small percentage of very vocal owners. (Compairing number of problems vs. number of vehicles of that type made.)
Personnally I would love to see J.D. Powers or somebody independant do a survey of vehicles not at the one year mark where everyone feels like they need to justify their purchase and they are still in the "honeymoon phase" but maybe 3 or 4 years after buying to get a better picture of the good or bad points.

You make a good point.  A while back HD did send out a survey to CVO Owners (and I think they do to all model owners) however, we the consumer, doesn't get to see the results.  And now that I think about it, I got one for my 02 Harley F-150, after I had it for about a year, too.

And, to answer your question..........I ride an 04 Cobalt Blue and Starlight Black SEEG so yes, I'd buy the same model again! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 09:57:26 AM »

I just gotta say that if you know HD's from AMF days and before, you have to be ecstatic by HD quality today. I think they do an admirable job considering they pump out hundreds of thousands every year. I know they guy with the problem will never agree, but you've read the expression for that above. Overall, it's the best damn motorcycle in the world! (I'm not giving up my warranty though ;D )  ;)  Hoist!  8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 10:41:57 AM »

I just gotta say that if you know HD's from AMF days and before, you have to be ecstatic by HD quality today. I think they do an admirable job considering they pump out hundreds of thousands every year. I know they guy with the problem will never agree, but you've read the expression for that above. Overall, it's the best damn motorcycle in the world! ([highlight]I'm not giving up my warranty though [/highlight];D )  ;)  Hoist!  8-)

How long is that warranty anyway, I seem to have forgotten [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

[size=9](not)[/size]
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 10:42:28 AM by Rjob749 »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 21 queries.