Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: U-Haul trailer and SERGU  (Read 8317 times)

Glenncarp

U-Haul trailer and SERGU
« on: March 19, 2018, 07:37:09 PM »

OK folks, have searched the form and read for a while. Most posts deal with trailering a Road Glide with your own trailer.

I am moving and have NEVER owned a trailer, but I am renting a U-Haul utility trailer to take bike to the new location. I cannot install a chock (no time left and cant drill holes in rental) so I am thinking of using straps (bought set from HD with tie down loops) and attaching to cross member on frame at front. Only issue I see it that the attach point is pretty low on the bike, so I would like something higher up. Handle bars are out as the RG fairing is in the way. Anyone have experience or ideas to mount the bike on a rental trailer for a 600+ mile move?

Thanks in advance

CVCVORG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE BLUE
Re: U-Haul trailer and SERGU
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 07:53:15 PM »

Moved my 12 CVO RG with U-Haul trailer (double axle with wheel chock).

Same situation - never owned trailer.  Had to move 500 miles.

Used loops on front crash bar - placed them inside fairing / turn signals and frame down tubes.

Be sure to tighten the straps after compressing the front suspension at least 50%.
Then I ran another strap through back wheel from 1 side of trailer to other.

Remember to turn off alarm or your theft alarm will drain battery.

I stopped after first 30 and 60 minutes to check strap location and tension.

The service manger can show you at dealership too.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 07:55:09 PM by CVCVORG »

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 08:00:47 PM »

Moved my 12 CVO RG with U-Haul trailer (double axle with wheel chock).

Same situation - never owned trailer.  Had to move 500 miles.

Used loops on front crash bar - placed them inside fairing / turn signals and frame down tubes.

Be sure to tighten the straps after compressing the front suspension at least 50%.
Then I ran another strap through back wheel from 1 side of trailer to other.

Remember to turn off alarm or your theft alarm will drain battery.

I stopped after first 30 and 60 minutes to check strap location and tension.

The service manger can show you at dealership too.

Something that I do in addition to that or maybe a little different is I block under the frame with a 4×4, 2×4, and or 1×4 depending on the height of your bike and then tight the bike down on the blocks so as not to load the suspension
Most great stores start with a bad decision

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 08:06:20 PM »

U-Haul has a motorcycle trailer that has a built in chock of sorts that's really a great trailer.  It has full size tires/wheels (so that you don't overheat the bearings on the freeway), tailgate is a very sturdy ramp and it was easy for me to load and unload by myself.

I towed my CVO Ultra Classic from San Diego to Jim's shop at Metal Dragon.....500 miles one way!

https://www.uhaul.com/Videos/Trailer-Videos/How-To-Load-A-Motorcycle-Onto-A-Motorcycle-Trailer/
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 08:14:49 PM »

The Uhaul motorcycle trailer has the D rings at the bottom of the trailer but you will need the tie down straps.  Get the heavy duty straps.....not those little cheap Harbor Freight Tools type straps.

500 miles of freeway driving and all the way through the middle of Los Angeles....no issues!
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 09:42:27 PM »

The Uhaul motorcycle trailer has the D rings at the bottom of the trailer but you will need the tie down straps.  Get the heavy duty straps.....not those little cheap Harbor Freight Tools type straps.

500 miles of freeway driving and all the way through the middle of Los Angeles....no issues!

I agree with JZ that U-Haul is absolutely the best motorcycle trailer for hauling 1 bike bar none!!

I wanted to find out where the old ones went so I could buy one.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:48:39 PM by CVOStreetglide »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 07:29:37 AM »

I agree with JZ that U-Haul is absolutely the best motorcycle trailer for hauling 1 bike bar none!!

I told Jim and Andy the same thing.....these trailers tow so great, solid, easy to use that I'm surprised that people aren't buying up their older trailers and pressure washing the "Uhaul" labels off of them.  I believe they will, once these newer motorcycle trailers are old enough for U-haul to sale them.  They're pretty solid built, it's going to have to be the suspension that wears out on them.

West Coast GTG   

Glenncarp

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 08:30:23 AM »

OK folks, have searched the form and read for a while. Most posts deal with trailering a Road Glide with your own trailer.

I am moving and have NEVER owned a trailer, but I am renting a U-Haul utility trailer to take bike to the new location. I cannot install a chock (no time left and cant drill holes in rental) so I am thinking of using straps (bought set from HD with tie down loops) and attaching to cross member on frame at front. Only issue I see it that the attach point is pretty low on the bike, so I would like something higher up. Handle bars are out as the RG fairing is in the way. Anyone have experience or ideas to mount the bike on a rental trailer for a 600+ mile move?

Thanks in advance

Love this forum ! Just called local U-haul and cancelled utility trailer and rented MC trailer instead. Thanks for all the replies and great advice.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 09:08:21 AM »

Love this forum ! Just called local U-haul and cancelled utility trailer and rented MC trailer instead. Thanks for all the replies and great advice.

Glenn make sure it has full size tires and wheels.  I believer they're 14".  The first motorcycle trailers that uhaul had a few of had those little fat airplace looking tires....I believe they were 8" or 10".   Those tiny tires would turn way to fast for this kind of weight.  Those trailers are heavy, also.  Pick up the tongue on one...you'll see what I mean.  Galvanized steel, not aluminum....but I believe that's part of why they tow so well....just built really solid.

West Coast GTG   

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 10:19:32 AM »

No trailer expert here but just passing info along.  Trailered my RGU to MV last year with one set of straps on forks above fender mount and second set on rear bag guards.  I wanted another forward strap higher up and only good points I could find to avoid painted surfaces were either engine guard(still very low) or brace where fairing attaches to guard.  Its a fairly robust connection so used this without issue.  Did use the HD soft wraps on chrome connections.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:57:38 AM by TNCarters »
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 10:58:15 AM »

I strapped to the forward frame down tubes to keep it pulled forward into the built in chock.  Strapped to the frame on the rear just to keep it from bouncing side to side. 

A few years ago, I saw first hand what happens when you strap a heavy bagger to the rear crash bars......not good.

West Coast GTG   

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 02:21:06 PM »

I strap my RG with soft tries from the front cross brace and down tubes forward. I use a second set of straps from the passenger footboards forward. Then a third set of straps rearward from the passenger floorboards. All straps with soft ties at the bike end. Never lost or damaged one on the trailer yet.

Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 02:33:38 PM »

Through and around the back wheel with a microfibre towel as a softener to a point low at the back of the trailer......had to lock up the brakes for a twit that missed a stop sign.....and the bike didn't budge.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 04:38:40 PM »

Comments about running a tie down around the rear wheel to a point on the back of the trailer means if for some reason your front tie downs fail, that one around the rear wheel pulling to the rear will pull bike out of the front chock and bike will fall over.
All tie downs need to basically pull toward the chock, or front of the bike. Do not use the rear bag guards, they are hollow thin wall tubing and will bend pretty easy.
Couple of companies make bolt on tie-down brackets that remain on the bike and work excellent. If you tow much they are worth it if for no other reason you can hook up and go very quickly.

Glenncarp

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 11:01:26 AM »

Thanks in advance

Well hell, not sure about the rest of you, but here in good old FL, U-Haul only rents MC trailers for "in town use" which means they don't rent for one-way trips. So, I'm left with renting a utility trailer from them and have to deal with securing the bike without the front tire chock. Thought about going to Harbor freight and buying a chock but they're almost more trouble than they're worth as they are flimsy. May just have to put tire tight against front wall of utility trailer and strap her in. Local U-Haul manager did say they redesign the utility trailers with the rings in six spots for just this application. Guess we will see!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 11:03:00 AM by Glenncarp »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 11:48:04 AM »

Well hell, not sure about the rest of you, but here in good old FL, U-Haul only rents MC trailers for "in town use" which means they don't rent for one-way trips. So, I'm left with renting a utility trailer from them and have to deal with securing the bike without the front tire chock. Thought about going to Harbor freight and buying a chock but they're almost more trouble than they're worth as they are flimsy. May just have to put tire tight against front wall of utility trailer and strap her in. Local U-Haul manager did say they redesign the utility trailers with the rings in six spots for just this application. Guess we will see!

The cheaper grey MC wheel chock from Harbor Freight is lousy, a piece of crap that bends, etc.  Have had good success with this one on several trailer trips of 1,000 miles or more, plus has been used to store the bike in the garage in the past several years.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-lb-capacity-motorcycle-standwheel-chock-61670.html
I used a couple of pieces of 1/2" plywood, one under the wheel & one on front of the rotating mechanism to make the wheel fit better.  It's sturdy & has given me good service.

Good luck, would use 6 straps to tie down with all forward pull and soft ties for each contact point on the bike. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Glenncarp

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 12:00:37 PM »

The cheaper grey MC wheel chock from Harbor Freight is lousy, a piece of crap that bends, etc.  Have had good success with this one on several trailer trips of 1,000 miles or more, plus has been used to store the bike in the garage in the past several years.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-lb-capacity-motorcycle-standwheel-chock-61670.html
I used a couple of pieces of 1/2" plywood, one under the wheel & one on front of the rotating mechanism to make the wheel fit better.  It's sturdy & has given me good service.

Good luck, would use 6 straps to tie down with all forward pull and soft ties for each contact point on the bike.

Yeah, I had bought the gray one from Harbor Freight a  few years ago and mounted to the motorcycle lift I purchased also from Harbor Freight. After about a year, open garage door and 2004 Road King was leaning over about to fall off stand. Grey chock was bent and twisted. Not garage proof, certainly not trailer proof. Going to see if local HF has one in link you sent. Thanks

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 12:08:11 PM »

Yeah, I had bought the gray one from Harbor Freight a  few years ago and mounted to the motorcycle lift I purchased also from Harbor Freight. After about a year, open garage door and 2004 Road King was leaning over about to fall off stand. Grey chock was bent and twisted. Not garage proof, certainly not trailer proof. Going to see if local HF has one in link you sent. Thanks

Welcome.  A couple of buddies were using the grey Harbor Freight chock, no problems.  After about a month mine bent.  Took it back to Harbor Freight, got money back, manager suggested the chock in the link.  Much better construction, left the bike in it in the garage unsupported, not strapped, for extended time periods when I was traveling too much for work to ride.  You may not need to add the plywood, mine worked ok without it but was smoother on/off with it.  Can use the 2 eyelets on the front as  tie down points, but always had it secured also by straps to the front of the trailer.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 12:20:38 PM »

Just so you are aware, U-Haul does not sell their trailers.  If you see a U-Haul trailer for sale, it was likely stolen or misappropriated at some point.  They build their own (or have them built under contract).  The only parts that wear out are the axles and those are easy to rebuild.  If/when it does reach the end of its time, they cut them up and scrap them.  I hauled my 2012 over 1,000mi from New England through Canada to the UP of Michigan on an extended trip one year.  The trailer was a beast, and that front notch/chock for the tire is a great thing!   
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

Glenncarp

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 12:32:15 PM »

Just so you are aware, U-Haul does not sell their trailers.  If you see a U-Haul trailer for sale, it was likely stolen or misappropriated at some point.  They build their own (or have them built under contract).  The only parts that wear out are the axles and those are easy to rebuild.  If/when it does reach the end of its time, they cut them up and scrap them.  I hauled my 2012 over 1,000mi from New England through Canada to the UP of Michigan on an extended trip one year.  The trailer was a beast, and that front notch/chock for the tire is a great thing!   

I wonder when U-Haul stopped renting the MC trailer for one-way trips? I spoke to corporate and they confirmed that their motorcycle trailers are only available for in town use, IE: round trip. I was originally guessing this was specific to the area I lived in but after talking to corporate U-Haul it appears that they no longer rent them for one-way trips. Disappointing because I thought that was the beauty of using U-Haul

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 02:18:04 PM »

The trailer was a beast, and that front notch/chock for the tire is a great thing!   
I'm thinking of getting a "notch" put on my 8' utility trailer so I can keep the gate/ramp installed with the bike in the trailer. I need about 5" to accommodate the chock and the pipes.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 24 queries.