Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: How do you stop?  (Read 5155 times)

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
How do you stop?
« on: September 07, 2008, 10:19:02 PM »

My wife (who's just starting to ride again) and I had a long discussion today about stopping at stop signs. We've been riding together quite a bit over the past 6 weeks since she took the 2 1/2 day riders course and find ourselves approaching stop signs with the intent of keeping our feet on the pegs, looking both ways and keep moving. I have stopped a few times and put my feet down only to cause her to brake hard to stop. She says if she see me move into the intersection, she assumes it is safe for her and keeps rolling.

Our discussion today was on the discipline of stopping at EVERY sign and putting our feet down, then looking for oncoming traffic. I find if I am approaching an intersection with the intent of keeping my feet up, I'm looking both ways but my mind is actively trying to keep the bike balanced and I am distracted. I usually look right, then left, then right again to confirm but if I am trying to keep from putting a foot down, I may not look right a second time. If I am riding alone, I am more confident of pulling off a feet-up near stop but if I am riding with my wife I am thinking about whether or not there is room for two bikes to safely make the turn. All this overloads my tiny little mind.

My wife said in the training school they did not require that you put feet down at stop signs. Not sure if it is the law but I am wondering what you experienced riders do. Do you do the same thing at each stop sign? Do you do the same thing when leading another rider? following another rider?

Looking for some experienced counsel.

Thanks in advance for your views!

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: How do you stop?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 10:28:15 PM »

Except on rare occasions it's both feet on the ground at the stop sign. Hard to believe any school would coach anything other than that. The notion of blindly following another rider through a stop sign is a recipe for eventual disaster.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 10:30:14 PM »

I seldom put my feet down, unless there is a tremendous amount of traffic.
The more you ride the better your balance gets......we have a few riders that can stay on there bike at a full stop what seems like forever.
I cannot do that......but dragging the rear brake only does help stabilize the bike.....I do not use the front brake at all during normal stops at signs.....just easier for balance

I will plan to put my foot down if the line of sight requires you to look over your shoulder......very hard to keep balance moving real slow with your head swiveled all of the way around
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

comfortablynumb

• Senior CVO Member
  • u can chek out any time u like,but ucan nver leave

• CVO1: 2008 SEUC3 SuperTrapp SE slip ons SE Stage 1 A/C SE Super Tuner Kury LED Brake & Turn Kury Zombie Shift Linkage & Cover Clearview 9.5 recurve Tru Track
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 10:31:39 PM »

Stop means stop. All you need is two vehicles rolling and that could be a mistake that you can't get back. That being said, visibility and lack thereof will have a lot to do with what you actually do. On a ride thru upstate New York, a friend rolled thru a stop sign then continued across the intersection only to get pulled over by a Trooper on the other side. As I pulled up I could overhear my friend telling the Trooper that no one was coming and he did slow down. The Trooper told him that the sign says STOP not slowdown. Again my friend, louder this time,(as if he was going to change the Officer's mind), "but I slowed down!!" Now the Trooper took out his ticket book and as he began to write the ticket, my buddy took a very misguided step towards the Trooper almost screaming,"but I f**ing slowed down!!" As my friend's foot barely touched the ground, the Trooper dropped the ticket book, pulled out and extended his baton and proceeded to pummel my buddy and say,"well asshole,would you like me to stop or slow down?" Point is you are responsible for your decisions.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 10:37:37 PM »

Except on rare occasions it's both feet on the ground at the stop sign. Hard to believe any school would coach anything other than that. The notion of blindly following another rider through a stop sign is a recipe for eventual disaster.

Exactly

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

JoMo

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 08 black & chrome soft tail custom
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »

I agree I try to STOP at all stop signs, feet down.
I admit I've slowed down and went through not really a good decision,but for the most part
full stop. Back break to slow down front break feet down final stop

Jo Mo NYC  :coolblue:

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 11:10:37 PM »

I seldom put both feet down. Sometimes i try to do a balancing act to see how long i can hold it without feet.. Jesh sometime I surprise the hell of me, I think i got a 10 seconder one time.  :2vrolijk_21: Here i Calif you are required to stop with both feet, but never seen it enforced.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 11:12:09 PM »

I agree I try to STOP at all stop signs, feet down.
I admit I've slowed down and went through not really a good decision,but for the most part
full stop. Back break to slow down front break feet down final stop

Jo Mo NYC  :coolblue:

Hate to stop, except for STOP signs.  Left foot down, front brake last, (to make Ol' Maudie rock up and down), look both ways, and proceed, if clear.  ;) There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBARD  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

UglyJohn

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 11:29:06 PM »

Do what ever makes ya feel good and how much money you have in your wallet. Here in Oregon, Stop means to stop with at least one foot down. If you come to a stop without placing the foot down and then take off, you have two tickets. One for running a stop sign and the other is for reckless driving if the front tire wiggle any at all! (hint: you can argue with a cop all you want, guess who the judge is going to believe} No need to get back on me on this one. Trust me on this one .  .  . OK!  :-X  Not to mention that the insurance will be all over this one with surcharges for three years!
UglyJohn
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 12:36:03 AM »

Here in Oregon the law says at least one foot down or get a ticket.  I find myself when I stop putting my left foot down sometimes and many times at a stop signs balancing for a quick stop and no feet down.  No tickets yet.
2014 CVO Ultra Limited
2003 Heritage Springer Classic

T MAC

• Elite CVO Member
  • FREEDOM

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 - B/O
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 12:54:34 AM »

I try to always come to a complete stop with both feet down. 

First -Safety is the issue and I am not sure the other person is going to stop or roll on through the stop sign  they may look in my direction but not see me and decide to go.

Second I have my wife or another family member on the bike and even if I want to be reckless with my life I should not put them in danger. 

Third-  It is always good practice - I never know when I am going to need to stop - we have ALOT OF DEER and CRAZY DRIVERS when they see deer (or even if they don't).  Deer are very unpredictable and though I always slow down when I see them sometimes I have to stop, also cars stop sometimes for the deer.  Then there are all the other reasons when we ride we have to stop - construction, bridge closed, someone turning etc. so the way I see it the more times I stop the more comfortable I am which allows me to handle these situations when they arise.

I like to ride hard and feel the wind in my hair I just want to make sure that I do everything I can to enjoy it as much tomorrow as I do today. :2vrolijk_21:
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 01:20:18 AM »

My wife (who's just starting to ride again) and I had a long discussion today about stopping at stop signs. We've been riding together quite a bit over the past 6 weeks since she took the 2 1/2 day riders course and find ourselves approaching stop signs with the intent of keeping our feet on the pegs, looking both ways and keep moving. I have stopped a few times and put my feet down only to cause her to brake hard to stop. She says if she see me move into the intersection, she assumes it is safe for her and keeps rolling.
Our discussion today was on the discipline of stopping at EVERY sign and putting our feet down, then looking for oncoming traffic. I find if I am approaching an intersection with the intent of keeping my feet up, I'm looking both ways but my mind is actively trying to keep the bike balanced and I am distracted. I usually look right, then left, then right again to confirm but if I am trying to keep from putting a foot down, I may not look right a second time. If I am riding alone, I am more confident of pulling off a feet-up near stop but if I am riding with my wife I am thinking about whether or not there is room for two bikes to safely make the turn. All this overloads my tiny little mind.

My wife said in the training school they did not require that you put feet down at stop signs. Not sure if it is the law but I am wondering what you experienced riders do. Do you do the same thing at each stop sign? Do you do the same thing when leading another rider? following another rider?

Looking for some experienced counsel.

Thanks in advance for your views!

Hope you don't mind if I jump in with a couple of things.

One should NEVER assume that just because another rider has entered an intersection, it is safe to do so. She needs to perform her own checks and NOT be dependant on you. As a matter of fact, that rule could be applied to ALL aspects of riding.

If you are still working on slow riding balance, and know that your attention is distracted trying to keep balanced, then stop and put your foot down. Why risk it? The 2.5 seconds of time you saved rolling though the intersection is not worth dumping the bike, falling over, or getting hit. In the mean time, practice slow riding, "stop-n-go" and "pause-n-go".

You wife may have been referring to the "pause-n-go" which is NOT a substitue for a complete stop, but rather a way to learn better slow speed balance and control. The MSF does NOT advocate "rolling through stops" as it builds lazy and bad habits.

Having said all that, my stopping preferences are based on the indiviual situation. If all traffic is slowing, checking, and then rolling, then that is what I will probably do as not to hold up traffic. I usually do this if there is NO cross or turning traffic. However if I feel that cross traffic is NOT paying attention or may not stop, then I stop and put my foot down and wait until I feel safe enough to go.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 01:20:42 AM »

My wife use to follow me when I would proceed. Soon she learned that sometimes I do not make very good decisions. So a long time ago while she decided it is better to make her own decisions. i feel this is the right thing to do. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Brad
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 04:40:43 AM by hdbrad03 »
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

pado

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: Longhorn
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 06:31:50 AM »

I seldom put my feet down, unless there is a tremendous amount of traffic.
The more you ride the better your balance gets......we have a few riders that can stay on there bike at a full stop what seems like forever.
I cannot do that......but dragging the rear brake only does help stabilize the bike.....I do not use the front brake at all during normal stops at signs.....just easier for balance
I will plan to put my foot down if the line of sight requires you to look over your shoulder......very hard to keep balance moving real slow with your head swiveled all of the way around

I do the opposite.  I brake with  mostly the back brake until I can put my feet down and then it's front only.  Only on a country road with no traffic will I have a "rolling" stop.
Founding Member and Zen Master of Pondering, Hankering and Moseying Society with all accolades and privileges

Charter Member of CVO Critter Gawking Society

Master Bloody Mary Mixologist

hunter

• Elite CVO Member
  • Have rifle, will travel

• CVO1: 2008 SERK, Black & Silver with RH TD
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 08:14:02 AM »

In NJ, at the stop sign we have to stop for at least 3 seconds (complete stop) and proceed if and only if it is safe.  If a driver stops at a sign then proceed and gets into an accident, it is his fault.  Stopping alone is not enough, it has be safe to proceed.

It is also a scientific fact that when your eyes are moving, you can not focus and you'll not see everything and your brain does not process everything your eyes move over. 

I have tried that many many times on hunting trips when glassing.  I have looked through binoculars sweeping the filed and didn't see anything, went back right away with sweep and pause motion, and I found animals looking at me.

With all that being said, I don't follow same pattern at every intersection.  What I do at an intersection depends on the road condition, traffic condition, intersection (4 way or 2 way stop) and the direction of the turn (left or right turn).

Last word: When in doubt, hesitate.

:) ;) >:( :o :huepfenjump3:
Lack of money is the source of all evils.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 21 queries.