Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: How do you stop?  (Read 5154 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: How do you stop?
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2008, 09:35:53 AM »

I find using the brakes seems to be the best way to stop....I 'm just saying...

Ya mean not the ole Fred Flintstone stop? :nixweiss: ;D

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2008, 09:39:45 AM »

If there is something better, let me know....The flip flpos don't last long doin the freddy...I can't throw an anchor, even though the oldster it'd prolly help....So far the brakes seem to work best for stopping...  :nixweiss:

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2008, 10:09:58 AM »

I do a rolling stop w/o putting my feet down every chance I get.

If a semi truck is coming down the highway, I'll stop. If I stop, I put my feet down, I'll continue to do so until the day I'm riding a trike.

If I'm following someone, and they pull out in front of said semi truck, I'll stop. I'll put my feet down in this scenario also. I'll also put it in neutral and let out the cluth so I can call 911 on my cell phone, because there's gonna be one hell of a wreck.

It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

pokerpig

• CVO1: 2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2008, 01:40:17 PM »

My wife (who's just starting to ride again) and I had a long discussion today about stopping at stop signs. We've been riding together quite a bit over the past 6 weeks since she took the 2 1/2 day riders course and find ourselves approaching stop signs with the intent of keeping our feet on the pegs, looking both ways and keep moving. I have stopped a few times and put my feet down only to cause her to brake hard to stop. She says if she see me move into the intersection, she assumes it is safe for her and keeps rolling.

Our discussion today was on the discipline of stopping at EVERY sign and putting our feet down, then looking for oncoming traffic. I find if I am approaching an intersection with the intent of keeping my feet up, I'm looking both ways but my mind is actively trying to keep the bike balanced and I am distracted. I usually look right, then left, then right again to confirm but if I am trying to keep from putting a foot down, I may not look right a second time. If I am riding alone, I am more confident of pulling off a feet-up near stop but if I am riding with my wife I am thinking about whether or not there is room for two bikes to safely make the turn. All this overloads my tiny little mind.

My wife said in the training school they did not require that you put feet down at stop signs. Not sure if it is the law but I am wondering what you experienced riders do. Do you do the same thing at each stop sign? Do you do the same thing when leading another rider? following another rider?

Looking for some experienced counsel.

Thanks in advance for your views!

I infer from this that your wife is following you when riding. The rule I always follow is that the less experienced rider goes first. In groups of 3 or more the less experienced riders go in the middle.

One of the most dangerous things about riding behind someone is the tendency to follow them instead of the road. Inexperienced riders especially. . Also, A lot of accidents are caused by a less experienced rider trying to keep up with a more experienced one.

Comments?

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2008, 01:50:01 PM »

I'm definitely a "pause and go" stopper.  I know it's a lazy bad habit but I've gotten quite good at it.  I could likely get a ticket.  You're right, it's distracting trying to keep your feet up when the right thing to do is to stop with both feet down to get a better look.  I do that with my daughter on the bike.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2008, 01:51:08 PM »

The old saying, "Do as I say - Not as I do" could apply here.

Most of the time I can come to a complete stop at a stop sign and set there for several seconds (probably up to 10 seconds pretty often) without putting a foot down (good practice for the Slow Race).  Most often I will stop without putting a foot down, unless there is traffic.

Now, if I was teaching someone, I would have to tell them to come to a complete stop and put both feet down and look right - left - right before proceeding.  Like I said, "Do as I say, Not as I do"  ;)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2008, 02:06:20 PM »

Resisting urge to start a thread titled "How do you start?" 

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »

Start by ignoring the thread.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2008, 02:07:49 PM »

Maybe I should start a thread titled "Ignore this thread" instead?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2008, 02:09:47 PM »

We couldn't do that if we tried Mike!!! ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2008, 02:11:18 PM »

You already did once, but I ignored it anyway...Try again.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2008, 02:31:07 PM »

Ok then, I will go back & look at my old "Poll" thread instead.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2008, 02:46:54 PM »

When leading a small group, 3-4 bikes. I always put my feet down, look to make sure everyone is together and stopped, then I look to see if we can all get out together, then proceed. What they do after me is up to them, but I'd never blindly pull out into an intersection without making sure for myself that the coast is clear. Now when riding alone, I usually keep my feet on the boards unless heavy traffic.

UglyJohn

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2008, 04:58:42 PM »

I just want to add a note from my first post. Many cops here will pull you over if you place BOTH feet down if it's late at night or the first few hours of the morning (1 to 3am), especially if it's friday/saturday night or Sunday morning. They assume riders are placing both feet down because they have been drinking. The logic is that by placing both feet down it helps to keep balance. Yeah a bit lame, but I've been pulled over for that. Cop was nice enough, apparently didn't have much else to do on a very early saturday morning. Luckily, I don't drink until the bike is locked up for the night.
UJ
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2008, 07:50:09 PM »

How about starting a thread of who wears flip flops riding motorcycles?
I find if you get the shifter between your foot and the flip flop it works best.....those shifters are just murder on your bare toes...........

or better yet.....who rides barefoot?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 07:52:14 PM by FLHTCUSE3 »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 20 queries.