Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Contribution request for a friend who needs a hand  (Read 11753 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Contribution request for a friend who needs a hand
« on: November 01, 2007, 03:49:05 PM »

Writing this with reservation.  Not because I mind being out front assisting a good friend but because the friend won't like that he's seen to be needing a hand.

An old and dear friend here is a single dad.  Has been for seven years. 

Three years ago his daughter, who was then five, is far braver than I am and an absolute doll, was diagnosed with cancer.  Other complications since.

What was hoped to have been remission wasn't.  The disease is present with a vengeance.  They've gone through insurance, sold car, boat, bikes and anything else of any real value except the home.  Tapped out equity on it and anything else though.  Added a 2nd on the house so even if it sold they wouldn't pocket anything.

They've got some travel ahead soon.  Minnesota for three weeks out of four potentially each of the next three months.

I'm not suggesting anyone give until it hurts.  Or even until it stings.  I've already started a small fund with enough to cover a month's mortgage, travel and meal costs.  Will bump it myself if not able to score more elsewhere.

Only hoping to collect enough in small bits so that he can go for a quarter without having mortgage hanging over his head and meal money without having to spend more on credit cards.  In three months at most they'll be home one way or the other.  He'll be back at work again and continue what life will have to offer at that time. 

Just trying to help him get to that point without losing the home.  He's very close to that now.  The bank has already been as flexible as it will so he is literally without options any longer.

Not just hitting the crowd here.  Working a few other venues as well.  Even the corporate side though they're not geared toward assisting the individual.  If something scores well though rest assured I'll tell everyone here to stop and would return what had been sent in.

Until that might happen though I'm asking anyone that wouldn't mind to help a rider who has already sold his bikes for a greater good. A night's restaurant money or the cost of movie tickets; something like that. 

Send any contribution to:

Don Carey
2829 N. Chandler
Joplin, MO  64801

I'll bundle it all together and get it where it will do some good.  Thanks very much for taking the time to read through this.  Any help is appreciated.

NB: Anyone who'd read this post before, or who reads later in the thread, will see or remember reference to Paypal.  The Paypal account I set up for this purpose was FUBAR.  Never did get it straightened out.  After too much time and too many hassles bailed on using them on 12 November.  Issued refunds to everyone who had contributed through the Paypal account and requested they use snail mail instead.  My apologies for all the unnecessary hassle and my thanks again to everyone who chipped in.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 12:03:14 AM by Twolanerider »

JesterDecor

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Contribution request for a friend who needs a hand
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 04:09:02 PM »

My heart goes out to your friend Don. His daughter is a lucky little girl to have him for a daddy! And the Dad is a very lucky guy to have you for a friend!

Ken and I will gladly make a donation to such a worthy cause. It's especially poignant to me with Thanksgiving and other Holidays coming up around the corner to remember how very lucky and blessed we are by sharing with others less fortunate.

Everyone needs help every now and then. That's why family and friends are the biggest blessing in our lives. CVOHarley.com is both and for that I'm thankful.

I'll be sending out positive thoughts and prayers as a bonus!  ;)

I like shiny stuff!

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 04:22:09 PM »

It would be an honor to help, our prayers are with this family. Please keep us up to date. Rocky is on her way to the mailbox now. God Bless!!

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 04:40:03 PM »

Don-

Is the Paypal account a new one as it said not verified.  I've sent you money for decals/patches but I don't remember Paypal being in the American Road address.

Thanks, Bob

Binx

• Hoist's BSR
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 04:50:58 PM »

It would be our pleasure!  :-*
Binx & Hoist
wut?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 04:59:45 PM »

Something funky with that address. All I got was an email addressed to the recipient.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 05:04:10 PM »

Is this on the up & up? Is the snail mail address ok?

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 05:06:16 PM »

Hey Don, recheck that Pay Pal link.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

JesterDecor

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 05:21:21 PM »

Is this on the up & up? Is the snail mail address ok?

Hey "other Howie"!  :P

Don is a stand up guy so no worried about the veracity of this request!

I just called Ken to have him call Don to let him know about the problem with that paypal account. Hopefully he'll be able to check in right away and fix whatever the problem is!

I know Don is thankful to everyone for their generosity!!
I like shiny stuff!

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 05:25:11 PM »

Hey "other Howie"!  :P

Don is a stand up guy so no worried about the veracity of this request!

I just called Ken to have him call Don to let him know about the problem with that paypal account. Hopefully he'll be able to check in right away and fix whatever the problem is!

I know Don is thankful to everyone for their generosity!!

Just the FNG trying to get to know everyone hope I didn't come off the wrong way. As I said earlier, Raquel and I are honored to help. Thanks for the heads up.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 06:00:04 PM »

Touched by the immediate interest from so many.  Thanks to everyone.

Not sure what might have been the problem with the Paypal account.  It was a new account I'd just set up for this purpose.  In case the accountant got cranky later it's easier to keep something that is separate entirely separate.

Have just looked at the account at Paypal.  It seems to be working now.  Donations have already shown up in the account.  I double checked the account's status and settings and it should be functional. 

A note for any newer members who might see this.  Don't hesitate to ask.  There's enough weird stuff on the net that it's never a bad idea to question.  If you're unsure please don't contribute.  No harm and no foul.  Just because many here know me and have shared meals or roads doesn't mean everyone does.  Don't feel at all bad about being cautious.

Thanks again,
Don
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 12:03:55 AM by Twolanerider »

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 06:07:06 PM »

Touched by the immediate interest from so many.  Thanks to everyone.

Not sure what might have been the problem with the Paypal account.  It was a new account I'd just set up for this purpose.  In case the accountant got cranky later it's easier to keep something that is separate entirely separate.

Have just looked at the account at Paypal.  It seems to be working now.  Donations have already shown up in the account.  I double checked the account's status and settings and it should be functional. 

For any hassle this caused anyone I apologize.  Please try again.  The address to use will be: 

paypal@theamericanroad.us

A note for any newer members who might see this.  Don't hesitate to ask.  There's enough weird stuff on the net that it's never a bad idea to question.  If you're unsure please don't contribute.  No harm and no foul.  Just because many here know me and have shared meals or roads doesn't mean everyone does.  Don't feel at all bad about being cautious.

Thanks again,
Don

Thanks for your patience Don, I hope snail mail is not too much of a hassle!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 06:10:01 PM »

Thanks for your patience Don, I hope snail mail is not too much of a hassle!

There is no hassle of any kind with any of it FNG.  I'll bundle whatever arrives no matter how it gets here.  Already liberated a few of his deposit slips and he'll magically have some money later to help out with that he didn't expect.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 06:46:19 PM »

Don, glad to be able to help out.

Wish them well and I'll shoot a prayer out for them as well.

Damn shame to get into the position health costs force you to in these situations.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 07:49:28 PM »

Don,

Sheila and I are very happy to be able to help out your friend just a bit.  We hope things work out...

Your friend is fortunate to have you as a friend... :2vrolijk_21:

later...Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.