Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Heartland Blasted by Ice  (Read 5276 times)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: Heartland Blasted by Ice
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 11:06:50 AM »

3PH 480V?  Delta or Wye?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 11:11:19 AM »

Ice suxs!!!!! Unless you're pouring bourbon over it in a glass. :) We were supposed to have some of the same weather but got more sleet then anything. I would much rather have several feet of snow then ice, it causes much less damage.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 11:24:50 AM »

Had seen that your area was likely hit Ken.  Sorry to see you're getting so much tree damage.  We've had the damned ice storms once or twice a year each of the last two years.  Got a little here again right now.  Enough to make roads slick again.  But not really too bad today.  And all our trees have been so "pruned" the last couple years there's not much weak stuff left to fall.  Stay safe man.  Don't worry about being good though.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2009, 11:48:01 AM »

Mike, my dad must have bought his at the same time as you. Hasn't had a need since. He got one at auction, a pull trailer type.

Ken, is there anything you need? Anything I can do for you? Is your cell charged?

Appreciate it AJ..We're doing fine though. I'm fortunate enough to have access to a generator. Cell phone is charged, but cell service comes and goes. It's more go than come. PC is running off generator right now. I was shocked to find DSL is still working.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2009, 02:26:13 PM »

Ken,
You shouldn't need more than a 16KW generator looking at the pictures of the house. I have a 15KW and 4000sf.
This puts out 70 amps at 240v. on propane. These units are air cooled and a good bit less than the 20KW wich are water cooled. Mine is a Generac Gardian.
Theu are not hard to install. The gas is the hard part. I used to do installs ( electricaly ) up until year and a half ago.
Let me know if I can Help.
Stay warm.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2009, 02:55:11 PM »

Ken,
You shouldn't need more than a 16KW generator looking at the pictures of the house. I have a 15KW and 4000sf.
This puts out 70 amps at 240v. on propane. These units are air cooled and a good bit less than the 20KW wich are water cooled. Mine is a Generac Gardian.
Theu are not hard to install. The gas is the hard part. I used to do installs ( electricaly ) up until year and a half ago.
Let me know if I can Help.
Stay warm.
Mike
 :drink:

:2vrolijk_21:

I'll do it.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2009, 02:57:20 PM »

I've been out and about checking on some elderly and helpless people. This place is a disaster zone. The local power grid is 100% down. The main transmission lines that feed this area are also down. I'm betting they will be 3-4 weeks getting most of us back on. I'll probably start seeing what I can do tomorrow about getting the office running by generator.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2009, 03:06:34 PM »

I've been out and about checking on some elderly and helpless people. This place is a disaster zone. The local power grid is 100% down. The main transmission lines that feed this area are also down. I'm betting they will be 3-4 weeks getting most of us back on. I'll probably start seeing what I can do tomorrow about getting the office running by generator.
If youze need anything UPS is right down the road here  :2vrolijk_21: Don't be shy!!  ;)

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2009, 03:09:16 PM »

Ice suxs!!!!! Unless you're pouring bourbon over it in a glass. :) We were supposed to have some of the same weather but got more sleet then anything. I would much rather have several feet of snow then ice, it causes much less damage.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Rodger that Dood, we had a ice storm here not too long ago. Took out a few railings on my back deck, landed on top of the hot tub cracked it and damaged my fence and roof of the house. Hang in there Ken. Stay warm...............................Fuzz  
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2009, 10:15:39 PM »

Ken,

That's the storm that got us here on Oklahoma on Monday.  We didn't get as much ice - only about a quarter of an inch of ice on Monday.  Then we got about four inches of sleet on that on Tuesday.  Up to 34 degrees today... main roads are mostly clear now.

We had a bad ice storm December 2007... over an inch of ice on everything.  Destroyed trees, which took down power lines.  The little town where I live was without power for eight days.  We stayed out in my shop in our RV (with 6500 watt Onan)  Only problem was that with no electricity, we had no water since we have a well.  I had to carry water to fill the fresh water tank so we could take showers.
Took about two months to clean up all the damaged trees within sight of the house.

Ice storms ain't no fun

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2009, 07:53:11 AM »

Sounds like our storm here. It's much worse than I originally thought. I drove through a stretch yesterday about 4 miles long where the power lines were running beside the road. EVERY single pole was snapped off. We're getting by here at home by running this generator. Power has been off since Monday night. The guys that work for me will be needing cash to get by. Even if I could make payroll, the banks aren't open. Stores that are open accept cash only. I'm thinking of going off to a neighboring town and try and get a check cashed to pay my guys in cash. If I can get in touch with them. Cell service is out mostly. If I KNEW we'd be without power for a week...2 weeks, or whatever, I'd act accordingly. Who knows.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2009, 11:05:33 AM »

Sounds like our storm here. It's much worse than I originally thought. I drove through a stretch yesterday about 4 miles long where the power lines were running beside the road. EVERY single pole was snapped off. We're getting by here at home by running this generator. Power has been off since Monday night. The guys that work for me will be needing cash to get by. Even if I could make payroll, the banks aren't open. Stores that are open accept cash only. I'm thinking of going off to a neighboring town and try and get a check cashed to pay my guys in cash. If I can get in touch with them. Cell service is out mostly. If I KNEW we'd be without power for a week...2 weeks, or whatever, I'd act accordingly. Who knows.

Not nearly specific enough to provide you much information but this was on the AP wire earlier this morning Ken:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – More than a million homes and businesses left in the cold without power Thursday in the wake of an icy winter storm could face a lengthy wait for electricity to come back, even as federal help was promised to two states hit hardest by the blast.

Late Wednesday, President Barack Obama signed requests from Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear and Arkansas Gov. Mike Beebe for federal emergency declarations. Crews — even the National Guard in Kentucky — worked around the clock to resurrect power lines downed by thick ice in both states. Officials in states from Oklahoma to West Virginia fought to do the same.

Utility officials estimated more than 1.3 million homes and businesses across a wide swath of states were powerless early Thursday, and warned it could be mid-February before some customers had power.

The storm has been blamed for at least 23 deaths so far. Kentucky officials Thursday added two that they called weather-related: A woman who died while an ambulance on the way to her was blocked by impassable roads and a woman who fell on her basement stairs while she was retrieving a kerosene heater.

But officials said a third Kentucky death initially reported as storm related was not. Montgomery County Coroner Wallace Johnson said a man who used home oxygen died after his power went out, but that it was not related to the outage.

Many flocked to shelters, while others huddled next to wood-burning fires and portable heaters to fend off the frigid night air. Some who stayed put relied on gas stoves to cook food. Meanwhile, emergency officials feared the crisis could escalate as temperatures plunged.

"I'm so worried that we're going to have a death due to hypothermia or carbon monoxide," said John Robinson, the severe weather coordinator for the National Weather Service at North Little Rock, Ark. Space heaters, if improperly used, can generate dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.

Other communities urged people to conserve water because the outages could limit supplies.

Tony Cipolla managed to keep warm by building a fire at his powerless home near Seneca Park in Louisville, cooking a pot of soup over a gas stove. But there wasn't a long-term plan for Cipolla and his two children, ages 5 and 9, if electricity wasn't soon restored.

"If it'll be a couple days, then we'll be in trouble," Cipolla told The Courier-Journal in Louisville, where temperatures dipped into the 20s overnight.

More than a half-million were without power in Kentucky, where the power outages produced by the ice storm were outdone only by the remnants of Hurricane Ike, which lashed the state with fierce winds last year, leaving about 600,000 customers without power.

"We've got lots of counties that do not have any communication, any heat, any power," Beshear, the state's governor, said Wednesday.

Tree limbs and power lines crackled like gunfire as they snapped, crashing onto now-impassable roads that hampered recovery efforts from the Southern Plains to the East Coast.

Kyle Brashears' family rode out the storm in their Mountain Home, Ark., home before fleeing to relatives after half an ice-caked oak tree fell into their home.

"It caved the roof in and ripped the gutter off, although it didn't penetrate inside," he said. "I was walking around outside until about 1 a.m. and it was just a nonstop medley of tree limbs cracking off."

Crews in Indiana had restored power to thousands of customers by early Thursday morning — but about 89,000 remained in the dark there. Power lines had buckled under three-fourths of an inch of ice. Parts of central Indiana were still digging out from more than a foot of snow.

Various charities opened shelters across the region, but with the power out nearly everywhere — including at some radio stations — it was difficult to spread the word. Some deputies went door to door and offered to drive the elderly to safety.

Since the storm began building Monday, the weather has been blamed for at least six deaths in Texas, four in Arkansas, three in Virginia, six in Missouri, two in Oklahoma, and one each in Indiana and Ohio. Some parts of New England were expected to see well over a foot of snow as the storm kept moving northeast, but because it turned to snow, ice-related power failures weren't as big of a concern.

That didn't mean a trouble-free Wednesday for commuters. Delays or cancellations were reported at airports including those serving Columbus, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, New York and Boston. Commuters on highways encountered a slushy mess.

Tracey Ramey of Waynesville, Ohio, a village about 20 miles southeast of Dayton, said her husband left for his job as a plow operator late Monday with an overnight bag and hasn't been able to return. He did call her Wednesday morning to caution her not to go to her data-entry job.

"He said, 'There's 2 inches of ice on the road and there's no way you're going to make it to work,'" she said.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2009, 11:15:38 AM »

Have you seen any FedEx trucks on the road? Are they able to make deliveries yet?

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2009, 01:47:53 PM »

Very seriously, if you or anyone you know needs something we can send your way, please let us know.

Keep warm.  Looks ghastly.

:o

hogasm

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2009, 04:31:06 PM »

I can probably get you a good deal on one of these! Detroit Diesel with a 230 KW generator. The only problem is it a 2 stroke diesel, many areas won't let you move them in, once moved they are usually scrap! But it's turbo, and super charged! We're pulling them out or giving them to the landlords as we close old sites.

What is the story on these generators?

With a family farm we have to look at every source for equipment to keep things up and running :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 21 queries.