Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  (Read 15222 times)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
« on: January 08, 2015, 08:58:01 AM »

:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 08:59:40 AM »

You guys a really getting hammered this winter.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 09:10:16 AM »

I'm a bit north of natraim and it was minus 13 degrees when I went to work this morning. A bit chilly indeed... It's cold now but around Christmas it was surprising warm for that time of year with some days in the 30's. Thankfully the forum allows us cold weather residents to think about riding during 'mod season'. :2vrolijk_21:

TXGator

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: "JUSTICE" 2014 Jupiter Blue CVO Limited V&H Power Duals, 4.5" Hi Output Slipons SERT
    • CVO2: Non CVO 2015 Heritage Classic... Freedom Performance Racing True Duals, SERT
    • CVO3: My 16YO's first Harley... 2005 Sporty 883, Cobra Slash Cuts
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 09:13:38 AM »

That's crazy cold..  My son leaves Monday for boot camp at Great Lakes IL.  I am hoping it eases up a bit before he gets there.  6'3" and 145lbs (yes I feed him), so he has no insulation.  Wish that was the problem I had.. 

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 10:22:20 AM »

:nixweiss:

ultrarider123

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 10:25:30 AM »

It was 2 degrees on the house thermometer when I left for work this morning....that's not "normal" for East Tennessee....still, it was dry and no salt on the road so ride in I did.  Funny, I didn't see any other bikes on the road.....hmmmm

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 10:34:14 AM »

2 Degrees I guess you wound not see any bike  ;D ;D Hope you had the heat on high on that SG.
DND

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 10:40:47 AM »

Hope you had the heat on high on that SG.

Only external heat I have is that 110 a'runnin......

Heated grips would be a nice addition down the road, however.........
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 02:21:53 PM by Haird »

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 02:07:02 PM »

Us southern boys don't need all that fancy heated stuff. That's because we're tuff!
Ya know the old Redneck/ Southern motto, "  If ya gunna be stupid, ya gotta be tuff! "
Just got back from a ride myself, 23 degrees when I left 28 degrees when I returned. Leather jacket, bluejeans, wool socks, swat boots, 3/4 helmet, and gloves. That's all we need, oh and close the lower fairing vents.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 02:20:10 PM »

- 6 is my coldest ride on record for me... while the temperatures were not comfortable, there wasn't any snow or ice yet, and I had to get in those last 50 miles before putting up the Wide Glide for the Winter.  The coldest ride for the CVO was a balmy + 21.

Sad thing is the Lower 48 isn't always ready for these cold temps...

I woke up to -35 yesterday morning, and this morning's - 18 felt really nice.    8)

"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

ultrarider123

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 02:29:09 PM »

I woke up to -35 yesterday morning, and this morning's - 18 felt really nice.    8)

Now THAT'S cold......

Met some folks from our company meeting this past November in Houston that were from Fairbanks, AK.  We were discussing riding and they stated there was one of their crew that rode all year round up there to work.  He had about 20 miles to ride, rode an older Evo, had chains on his tires and bundled up like the kid from "A Christmas Story".  -30 was the coldest they knew he had riden into work....that just might be just a bit too cold for this ol southern boy to attemp (tuff, stupid or otherwise.....)

Mikey, I'm with ya, brother.  I prefer cool/cold to hot/humid anyday. 

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 02:44:09 PM »

Us southern boys don't need all that fancy heated stuff. That's because we're tuff!
Ya know the old Redneck/ Southern motto, "  If ya gunna be stupid, ya gotta be tuff! "
Just got back from a ride myself, 23 degrees when I left 28 degrees when I returned. Leather jacket, bluejeans, wool socks, swat boots, 3/4 helmet, and gloves. That's all we need, oh and close the lower fairing vents roll the windows up on the truck.
Mike
Yo Unc... I fixed your post (in red above). :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

T-Hawk

• Senior CVO Member
    • AK

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 02:45:38 PM »

Yeah, "Hook" used to ride his old 40's something bike he had outfitted with skis from an old snowmachine to his rear axel all Winter.  Had a big wool blanket fashioned into an engine cover and wore full up military extreme cold parka top and bottoms.

I've heard, but haven't witnessed, that some of the folks in Anchorage still ride their 3-Wheelers with studded tires down there, but then they don't get the extreme cold temps up here in the Fairbanks area.

I'm a die-hard rider... but a Man's got to know his Limitations.  I prefer anything above + 40 with clear roads... there may be snow on the shoulders and in the ditches, but the pavements are kept clean by all the cars and trucks.  Ice on the road is my cuttoff, but I've been known to ride that stuff too.  Lucky I guess.
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 03:11:40 PM »

That is some hard core ridding at those temps. Coldest I ever did was -21, but that was a lifetime ago and it won't happen ever again if I can help it.

T-Hawk I lived in the North Pole for a couple of years and then went west and a touch north to Fairbanks, lol

Now in Phoenix and yesterday it was 81, hell of it is I have not been able to ride for a touch over three months. I can hear my RG crying! Had to have a portion of three vertebra removed from the lower back, hope to be out there soon - real soon.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 03:50:25 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 03:53:58 PM »

It was 2 degrees on the house thermometer when I left for work this morning....that's not "normal" for East Tennessee....still, it was dry and no salt on the road so ride in I did.  Funny, I didn't see any other bikes on the road.....hmmmm

You rode the motorcycle???? WHY?

I mentioned riding last night to the wife as a joke but we agreed that it would not only be uncomfortable but possibly dangerous. Hypothermia with hands and feet that are numb or not working properly is not something I am going to risk. Motorcycling is a hobby and done for pleasure when it ain't I don't.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 03:56:22 PM »

i have only ridden below freezing once. it was for a PGR mission i never would have ridden that day otherwise.

even with heated jacket and gloves, a heated seat and chaps..... it was F*%*in cold
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 05:43:39 PM »

Now THAT'S cold......

Met some folks from our company meeting this past November in Houston that were from Fairbanks, AK.  We were discussing riding and they stated there was one of their crew that rode all year round up there to work.  He had about 20 miles to ride, rode an older Evo, had chains on his tires and bundled up like the kid from "A Christmas Story".  -30 was the coldest they knew he had riden into work....that just might be just a bit too cold for this ol southern boy to attemp (tuff, stupid or otherwise.....)

Mikey, I'm with ya, brother.  I prefer cool/cold to hot/humid anyday.
Haird he will need Apes since he can't put those arms down ...  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 07:27:23 PM »

:nixweiss:
I've ridden in the teens/twenties.........degree temps.  It's a fast lesson in beginning to understand "wind chill" and how to deal with it.

Do you go faster........to get to your destination quicker and thus (warm up).........or do you go slower as to "mimimize" the chilling aspect (although you will experience it longer..........) :-\

From my perspective,  one only rides in those conditions cause they really have no other real alternative.. :drink:   

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 08:09:17 PM »

Just got back from a ride myself, 23 degrees when I left 28 degrees when I returned. Leather jacket, bluejeans, wool socks, swat boots, 3/4 helmet, and gloves. That's all we need, oh and close the lower fairing vents.
Mike

How much Berry Juice??? That's the question  :nixweiss:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Firewalker

• Firewalker.
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide
    • CVO2: 2007 non-CVO Road King Classic
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 08:29:21 PM »

Gentlemen... it was -28 F this morn in Limestone, ME. I cannot get on enough clothes.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 09:13:19 PM »

Gentlemen... it was -28 F this morn in Limestone, ME. I cannot get on enough clothes.

Ha-ha, I thought you going to tell us you fired up the scoot Firewalker... It's cold enough in Portland - going north from there is just plain brutal. Think spring!  :2vrolijk_21:

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 09:27:51 PM »

I was going to brag about my ride in the 70's from Jax, Fl (11 leaving) to Fort Mill, SC (3 arriving) instead I think I'll jus shut up!!!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 09:29:53 PM »

That's crazy cold..  My son leaves Monday for boot camp at Great Lakes IL.  I am hoping it eases up a bit before he gets there.  6'3" and 145lbs (yes I feed him), so he has no insulation.  Wish that was the problem I had..
Even them new Squids is tuff
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 09:34:32 PM »

Yea, cold in San Diego today, too.  Only reached 67F.....have to wear a jacket just to go for a ride.   :(
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 09:42:12 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Thanks Gary but, I have and will ride the bike in colder temps but then I add longjohns and chaps.

From DickW

How much Berry Juice??? That's the question  :nixweiss:
Sorry none, didn't need it. Remember tuff and stupid! Berryjuice when I got back home.
Sometimes you just got to see if you still have it!
Mike

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 11:44:04 PM »

Sorry none, didn't need it. Remember tuff and stupid! Berryjuice when I got back home.
Sometimes you just got to see if you still have it!
Mike

Of course I meant after......Mama didn't raise no fool  :confused5:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

ultrarider123

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2015, 08:07:18 AM »

I mentioned riding last night to the wife as a joke but we agreed that it would not only be uncomfortable but possibly dangerous. Hypothermia with hands and feet that are numb or not working properly is not something I am going to risk. Motorcycling is a hobby and done for pleasure when it ain't I don't.

Good question....don't really have a good answer except I really enjoy the cool/cold weather riding.  Yes 2 is a bit on the cold side but I've ridden in cold weather most of my adult life and know how to dress for it....it's the only time of year I can ride and NOT sweat....also, no heated gear.
I headed to Florida one February for a conference in Orlando so rode the scooter.  Left East TN and 28 degrees.  When I hit Valdosta, GA, it finally got above freezing.  For me, that's great riding weather.

PinkE

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2015, 08:41:24 AM »

Pretty nipply here in Indiana, yesterday it was -12 when we got up, hard keeping the chickens water thawed in that weather, we had to add another heater to the water bucket, hoping this morning it isn't froze, it's up to 7 degrees today...The wind chill last night was -30's  enough already....I've only ridden snowmobiles in this weather, and with the proper gear you really don't get cold, I can remember riding all day up in the Adirondack mountains of NY and sweating, snowmobile jackets have little vents you can unzip to get some cool air inside, boy I miss those days...Keep warm everyone.... :nervous: :nervous:
MY Broom is an `04 FLHTCUI Lehman Trike and I Love flyin on it!!!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2015, 08:50:36 AM »

Only -3 this morning...  That's an improvement over yesterday's -12...

Today's 20 mph gusty winds are a downer though...  Drifting snow and black ice all everywhere...   ???
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

TXGator

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: "JUSTICE" 2014 Jupiter Blue CVO Limited V&H Power Duals, 4.5" Hi Output Slipons SERT
    • CVO2: Non CVO 2015 Heritage Classic... Freedom Performance Racing True Duals, SERT
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2015, 09:11:28 AM »

Only -3 this morning...  That's an improvement over yesterday's -12...

Today's 20 mph gusty winds are a downer though...  Drifting snow and black ice all everywhere...   ???

My kid is heading up that way on Tuesday to start boot camp..  Could you turn up the heater please? ;)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2015, 09:32:36 AM »

My kid is heading up that way on Tuesday to start boot camp..  Could you turn up the heater please? ;)

My family is originally from Wilmette, IL, just south of Great Lakes Naval Base.  For years and years on Thanksgiving, they would host a half dozen or so Naval recruits at their home to share Thanksgiving dinner.  Very special for all...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »

yeah, this weather is funky this year.  i'm in south louisiana, winter is typically for a day or two and then we get back to summer.  i know for you northern boys, this aint much, but 20* is just too dang cold for this boy to ride in.

it was a bunch of years ago, but i did boot in new jersey this time of year.  nothing like a double arm interval walking across a field to do police call in snow up to your waist.  and if you didn't come back with any 'trash', then you had to do it again!  we quickly learned to put a cig butt or piece of paper in your pocket for just such an occasion  :2vrolijk_21:
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2015, 12:08:23 PM »

With all due respect..... some of you guys are f****g crazy!!!!! Or maybe I'm just not a man!  :o
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

TXGator

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2015, 04:12:11 PM »

My family is originally from Wilmette, IL, just south of Great Lakes Naval Base.  For years and years on Thanksgiving, they would host a half dozen or so Naval recruits at their home to share Thanksgiving dinner.  Very special for all...   :2vrolijk_21:
We will be coming up mid March for graduation.  Will have to fly up and back but I will shoot you the dates and if available would love to meet for dinner or something.  If it's the same as when I went in the Army they only give us 6 - 8 hours on grad day with our kids, before and after that we will just be hanging out in the area.

T-Hawk

• Senior CVO Member
    • AK

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2015, 05:17:21 PM »

The real crazy thing is... it's +18 here in North Pole and Fairbanks today and people are running around in short sleeves (me included).

No riding again though until April...
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2015, 07:09:13 PM »

Yeah there are some sick pups on this topic. The coldest I have ever rode is maybe the high thirties. How cold does it have to be to see your breath? Did that cold maybe twice. Yeah I know...I'm such a girl...

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »

:cherry:
T Hawk.........

"1st Alaska Season (6,452 mi): 05/07 - 10/14/11
2nd Alaska Season (19,360 mi): 04/13 - 10/12/12
3rd Alaska Season (23,608 mi): 04/25 - 10/18/13
4th Alaska Season (26,705 mi): 04/22 - 09/26/14"

If I did the math correctly,  I clocked it that you had ridden (on average) around 113 miles per day (assuming you rode every day during those time spans). :2vrolijk_21:

T-Hawk

• Senior CVO Member
    • AK

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2015, 02:59:37 AM »

If I did the math correctly,  I clocked it that you had ridden (on average) around 113 miles per day (assuming you rode every day during those time spans). :2vrolijk_21:

Well, my logs I keep for all my vehicles tell a much different story.  I wish I could ride the CVO 100 miles every day, but my actual daily average only amounts to about 42 miles a day.

The reason there's a big jump in number of miles for 2012, is that I rode down to Texas and back... 8,990 miles round trip.  Didn't get to add many additional miles while in Texas, but down and back was a dream come true.

It seems here lately, I haven't ridden near as much as I would like... that and we had the wettest summer on record this past summer, since Alaska starting keeping records way back when.

That's probably one of the main reasons I tend to ride whenever the roads are worthy... even if the temperatures don't really seem all that appealing.   8)
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2015, 07:25:27 AM »

Not quite that cold but yesterday it was 25 when Joe and I decided to go for a 304 mile ride.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2015, 07:33:38 AM »

Went for a 304 miles ride yesterday, was 25 when we left, and the temp was below freezing most the ride but the last 1.5 hours where it was a heat wave at 37.

I actually think it is much more dangerous to ride when its 95 or hotter.  You risk sevear dehydration and heat stroke.  My wife and I rode 500 miles in 100 degree heat.  Stopped every hour and drank 20 oz bottle of water each.  Did not pee but one time.

Yesterday in the 25 to 30 degree temps I was very comfotable.  Could ride several hours with out a stop.  Proper gear make it very pleasurable if the sun is out, and the roads do not have Ice on them.

So to answer you question why?   Because it was nice, fun, comfortable and we love to ride. 

I can dress properly for the cold, but only so much you can do to make miserable heat comfotable.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2015, 07:41:46 AM »

Yeah there are some sick pups on this topic. The coldest I have ever rode is maybe the high thirties. How cold does it have to be to see your breath? Did that cold maybe twice. Yeah I know...I'm such a girl...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news.....but if you click on this link and scroll down through the pics, you'll see three women on this ride.  Of course they're all from California, too. :huepfenlol2:   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=74330.msg1022304#msg1022304

I hope everybody knows I'm just funnin with ya.  I know that others here have got stuck in this kind of stuff......ya just do what ya have to do.  Especially when there's no underpass to hide under or not one hotel room in the two or three little hotels. :nixweiss:  It certainly wasn't by choice and neither was it by choice that I rode through that ice storm or 18F temps last week.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2015, 03:35:39 PM »

yikes....I've been working on a new Wireless system for the Kansas University's Football Stadium all week and it was -2 with the wind and liked to have froze my southern butt off; I've never been so cold in all my life.

:nervous:
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2015, 04:03:26 PM »

I was about 25' up a pole this morning working on the lines..... Next pix is a screen shot of the temps...
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2015, 04:04:15 PM »

Yeah, it was cold up there.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2015, 05:25:51 PM »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news.....but if you click on this link and scroll down through the pics, you'll see three women on this ride.  Of course they're all from California, too. :huepfenlol2:   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=74330.msg1022304#msg1022304

Hmmm...I guess that makes me less than a girl.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2015, 09:42:49 AM »

Well Haird and FLSTFIDave  you guys are cut from a different mold than I and that's all good. I see it may get to 50 on Sunday and I might get the bike out so it doesn't seize up solid.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2015, 05:31:58 PM »

Well Haird and FLSTFIDave  you guys are cut from a different mold than I and that's all good. I see it may get to 50 on Sunday and I might get the bike out so it doesn't seize up solid.
With the right gear, cold is not bad at all.  I with my Gerbing gear am more comfortable riding in 25~35 degree weather than I am when its over 95.  With out the right gear it's a whole different story.  Bought it to help us head south in Feb or march many years ago as I do not own a trailer.  Found out how comfortable I could be so no my wife and I ride year round if no salt or Ice on roads.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2015, 07:02:41 PM »

With the right gear, cold is not bad at all.  I with my Gerbing gear am more comfortable riding in 25~35 degree weather than I am when its over 95.  With out the right gear it's a whole different story.  Bought it to help us head south in Feb or march many years ago as I do not own a trailer.  Found out how comfortable I could be so no my wife and I ride year round if no salt or Ice on roads.

I'd have to agree 100%.  With Gerbing eXtreme Element pants, jacket, boot insoles and gloves 25F-35F is very comfortable.  At no time is anything 95F or above comfortable.  But I remember when I was younger, 110F didn't bother me.  It's hell gettin old.

West Coast GTG   

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2015, 08:01:27 PM »

The women on the ride in the link are braver than the men, they are passengers.  If you've ever been a passenger you known what I mean.  :huepfenlol2:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2015, 08:22:32 PM »

I'd have to agree 100%.  With Gerbing eXtreme Element pants, jacket, boot insoles and gloves 25F-35F is very comfortable.  At no time is anything 95F or above comfortable.  But I remember when I was younger, 110F didn't bother me.  It's hell gettin old.
I also have to agree with that. Crazy that it gets colder when you get off the bike and have to unplug than "in the wind" in mid 20 degree weather. Anything over 90 degrees never feels good.
Alan

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2015, 08:26:48 PM »

I will say that I am in Detroit today and while driving down the road on the way back to the hotel tonight a guy on a MC passed me and a co worker of mine that knows I ride a bike asked me if I would ride in this weather and I said "absolutely not"! Whoever that was isa much better man than me! I can barely walk around in this town without falling on my butt.
Alan

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2015, 09:24:44 PM »

It was probably Roger and Chris still wonderin around.  :huepfenlol2:

West Coast GTG   

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2015, 09:27:48 PM »

It's supposed to be -19 here tonight, and my yard is full of snow pack and ice, I'm afraid we're stuck till it warms up a bit. I hope the wind doesn't blow tonight.
Supershooter

ultrarider123

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2015, 08:29:45 AM »

I'll second what Dave and a lot of others have already stated....it's the proper gear.  While I go the other route away from the electric/heated gear, what I wear and layer with keeps me as warm as I want to be.  I prefer to be cool when I ride.  I sweat enough the rest of the year.  As I get older, however, my hands are taking a beating.  I'll break down and end up getting heated grips at some point to combat that.  Tried the heated gloves once in a "demo"....didn't like 'em.  Grips will be my choice.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:35:07 PM by Haird »

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2015, 12:47:11 PM »

I can ride in the cold but don't much. I have the FXRG gear and when I combine that with my deer hunting underwear and wool middle layers I am not cold at 30 degrees. I am not satisfied with my glove system yet and the boot situation is not to bad. I just feel like the Michelin Man and over stuffed. Lord knows you can't get off the bike to go in and eat  or any other indoor activity without stripping down to the undies.

I hate the heat as bad as you all do and may not do a full day ride that include the afternoon on a day in to the mid 90's.

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2015, 08:36:57 PM »

Chilly this morn
Supershooter

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2015, 08:13:01 AM »

Chilly this morn
Supershooter
:confused5:
Supershooter.......Is that supposed to be actual temp you're showing there or "wind chill".  Having been born and raised in Omaha,  I keep tabs on weather back that way and while quite cold recently......I've not seen temps shown near that cold on recent weather reports for locations in and around that area. :nixweiss:

OlDog

• Full CVO Member
  • The Mistress 4
    • AB

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond crimson tags. Stage one with V&H slip on ovals. Rider backrest.
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2015, 10:13:55 AM »

normal for us here

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2015, 10:26:17 AM »

I don't care where you're from......that's funny right there!

I want to see that conversion table where it reaches the triple digits down here.  What are the Canadians doing? ;D

West Coast GTG   

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2015, 01:30:41 PM »

I actually did laugh out loud but only at the last one. :D

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2015, 10:18:51 PM »

:confused5:
Supershooter.......Is that supposed to be actual temp you're showing there or "wind chill".  Having been born and raised in Omaha,  I keep tabs on weather back that way and while quite cold recently......I've not seen temps shown near that cold on recent weather reports for locations in and around that area. :nixweiss:

That's the dash of my pickup, I was traveling to a meeting Tuesday morning when I snapped the pic. It's usually accurate within a few degrees. We had some abnormally cold temps in our neighborhood. This was about 15 miles south of where I live. I had some clients that showed temps in the -20 range, so I think it was a legit temp...Thank God we didn't have much wind that morning, it was cold enough that way it was.
Supershooter

J.Mart60

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHX non-CVO
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2015, 11:01:25 AM »

Well Guys I guess its all in what you're accustomed to, I love temps in the 90's and very rarely sweat. My wife stops riding with me in the summer months but she is from Virginia. I'm a native floridian and hate the cold. I do love that you northerners have created this amazing cold weather gear cause I start layering in on when it drops below 70. I have ridden when its in the teens, but like someone posted earlier I was looking and feeling like the Michelin Man. Of course we don't have to worry about ice and snow, if it drops below freezing its usually for only a couple of hours. Hope to see ya'll at Bikeweek.
If you want that pat on the back when you do well, you must also accept that kick in the ass when you screw up!
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 21 queries.