Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 51/4 inch speakers  (Read 1837 times)

judgie

• FLHRSEI.ORG
51/4 inch speakers
« on: January 01, 2007, 07:07:46 PM »

hey guys beside hawg wired and hog tune speakers can you use any kind of 51/4 speakers ? do they have to be water proof or something special or a certian size magnent ? how much power dose a stock radio have in a 98 classic? i looked at the stock speakers  for the first time and the magnent is real small,looks like it came out of a old transitor radio ha ha.anyway  can you help ? found some 51/4 on a clearence table pioneers  [smiley=nervous.gif]oh yeh, what is the color of the hot wire coming out of the radio harness? i'm thinking orange with black stripe.what is the ground ? black ? i want to hot wire the power to my xm sat. so it is under the fairing
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 08:13:46 PM by judgie »

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: 51/4 inch speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 02:46:17 PM »

I did not want to jump in on this right away since my opinion is biased being a Hawg-Wired Dealer. Since no one else has answered i will give you my opinion.

For the Pre-06 bikes sound wise you can do much better than the stock speakers that come in the bikes from the factory. (The stock Harmon Kardon speakers in the 06 and later bikes are greatly improved) Pioneer, Alpine, Hog-Tunes, Hawg-Wired etc, etc...are all better than the stockers. The big difference that sets the hawg-wired speakers apart is that the are sealed. If you look at most aftermarket speakers the voice coil is exposed. Any amount of moisture or dust and debris that gets into the voice coil will eventually destroy it.

The magnet size can be deceiving as well. For Example the new speakers from Harmon Kardon use a neodymium (sp) magnet that ounce for ounce if much much stronger than a standard magnet.

The color codes for your speakers are:
Left + White / Orange
Left - Light Green / White
Right + Gray / Red
Right - Light Green / Black

For Power to your XM you can use the Orange wire on the back of you cigarette lighter....
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 02:47:18 PM by hd-dude »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 05:32:16 PM »

I did not want to jump in on this right away since my opinion is biased being a Hawg-Wired Dealer. Since no one else has answered i will give you my opinion.

Hadn't seen this one Jim.  In a slightly different spin on answering the same question it might be suggested to consider the following:

Unless you're speaking of the component speaker set from HawgWired then the "good" speakers from HawgWired (or HogTunes) don't cost but just a little bit more than other "good" aftermarket upgrades.  The other aftermarket upgrades, however, are generally not built with our duty environments in mind.  So whether or not one believes they will give a problem one has to accept that it's more likely they might.  

All that being so then; why reinvent the wheel?  We've got something out there that we know works and works well.  The price isn't onerous.  Hardly seems worth the trouble to experiment.

judgie

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 10:03:07 PM »

well ,That pretty much makes up my mindon the speakers it looks like it comes down to two kinds.As for the wiring,thanks for the help on the colors.You helped me out alot on everything.judgie
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 10:06:09 PM by judgie »

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 22 queries.