Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: load equalizer/ load resister suggestions?  (Read 995 times)

joejoebobo

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
load equalizer/ load resister suggestions?
« on: February 03, 2020, 09:45:36 AM »

Looks like there is a lot out there for load equalizers (LE) and load resisters (LR) ... looking to see if there are any difference between the 2? What would you recommend? Some are plug and play and some require wire splicing.  Some get really hot while others could cause damage if you run your hazards. Is there any harm with not running LE/LR?

I have some nice bullet style front turn signal LEDs for my 2010 CVO SG and get hyper flashing every now and then (sometimes it's after 5 sec and sometimes after 30+sec). Yes, it bugs me... I paid @$40 for the LED turn signals and didn't realize to get rid of hyper flashing on '13 and older models, it'll require LE/LR up to $70. The rear turn signals include stock LEDs so I would only need the LE/LR for the front. Am I just being cheap or are their cheaper alternatives?

Also, not sure if it's related but I'm also running (2) LED H11 Headlight Bulbs. When running the LED headlight bulbs and the stock incandescent front turn signal bulbs, I'm pretty sure I never got hyper-flashing.
-Joe

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: load equalizer/ load resister suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 10:50:11 AM »

When I had my '09, I got load equalizers from Custom Dynamics, Kuryakyn and others. All worked fine.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 10:57:22 AM »

Used Custom Dynamics LE for the LEDs on my 2010. Worked great.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Glenncarp

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 05:09:28 PM »

Looks like there is a lot out there for load equalizers (LE) and load resisters (LR) ... looking to see if there are any difference between the 2? What would you recommend? Some are plug and play and some require wire splicing.  Some get really hot while others could cause damage if you run your hazards. Is there any harm with not running LE/LR?

I have some nice bullet style front turn signal LEDs for my 2010 CVO SG and get hyper flashing every now and then (sometimes it's after 5 sec and sometimes after 30+sec). Yes, it bugs me... I paid @$40 for the LED turn signals and didn't realize to get rid of hyper flashing on '13 and older models, it'll require LE/LR up to $70. The rear turn signals include stock LEDs so I would only need the LE/LR for the front. Am I just being cheap or are their cheaper alternatives?

Also, not sure if it's related but I'm also running (2) LED H11 Headlight Bulbs. When running the LED headlight bulbs and the stock incandescent front turn signal bulbs, I'm pretty sure I never got hyper-flashing.

I added Custom Dynamic from turn signals to Road Glide, no issues, few moths later added rear ( I have the bullet turn/brake lights in back) started getting quick flashing turn signals. Was at HD to have heated grips installed and asked them to also add load EQ's to correct issue. When bike was done Service guy told me all tech did was teak module and load EQ's are not needed any longer. Hmm, something for free from HD, so weird, but so far, I have had zero issues. Happy as a clam at that bit of info.

joejoebobo

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 08:55:50 AM »

Thanks everyone... I'll look into some further options...

Glenncarp - I've too have recently learned that on '14 and newer models, you can follow the custom dynamics turn signal sync procedure below and it will auto correct the hyper flashing... '14 and newer models come equipped with canbus/BCM electrical systems.

1. Turn Ignition on, but do not start the bike.
2. Turn on 4 way hazards by pressing the hazard button on the controls.
3. Turn the Ignition off letting hazards run. IF the bike has security they will flash 5 or 6 times and then pause. This is normal. They will go back to flashing normal hazard mode.
4. Let hazards run 1-2 minutes.
5. Turn Ignition back on.
6. Turn off hazards.
7. Turn Ignition off and then back on.
8. Check function of both turn signals.
-Joe

Glenncarp

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 08:58:33 AM »

Thanks everyone... I'll look into some further options...

Glenncarp - I've too have recently learned that on '14 and newer models, you can follow the custom dynamics turn signal sync procedure below and it will auto correct the hyper flashing... '14 and newer models come equipped with canbus/BCM electrical systems.

1. Turn Ignition on, but do not start the bike.
2. Turn on 4 way hazards by pressing the hazard button on the controls.
3. Turn the Ignition off letting hazards run. IF the bike has security they will flash 5 or 6 times and then pause. This is normal. They will go back to flashing normal hazard mode.
4. Let hazards run 1-2 minutes.
5. Turn Ignition back on.
6. Turn off hazards.
7. Turn Ignition off and then back on.
8. Check function of both turn signals.

Wow, good info, guess i should read the instructions before throwing them in trash. Lol, thanks for update.

joejoebobo

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 09:43:21 AM »

Haha - all good

For all reviewing: this procedure works for "any" brand of LED turn signals... not just Custom Dynamics... (Again, only on '14 or newer models)
-Joe

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 10:05:58 AM »

on my 2013, I used the custom dynamics signal stabilizer.  it worked great, and was not terribly expensive.  didn't get really hot like a load equalizer does, but does require wiring into the battery.  it's definitely worth it
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 12:11:27 PM »

on my 2013, I used the custom dynamics signal stabilizer.  it worked great, and was not terribly expensive.  didn't get really hot like a load equalizer does, but does require wiring into the battery.  it's definitely worth it

That is a good suggestion.  On another bike a Kury load equalizer would get very hot when the blinkers were on at a stop light. Finally stopped working, guess is it got too hot.

joejoebobo

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 12:38:00 PM »

Thanks! You wouldn't happen to have a link to the signal stabilizer? Or a picture? Looking on the CD site, I don't see anything that fits that description...
-Joe

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 01:01:15 PM »

Thanks! You wouldn't happen to have a link to the signal stabilizer? Or a picture? Looking on the CD site, I don't see anything that fits that description...

Give them a call, tell them what you are wanting to do.  CD has been very helpful for me on the phone & if the rep you are talking to is not sure of your needs, they will switch you over to a tech who will make sure.  Excellent company.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 05:52:40 PM »

this is the updated version of the one i used:  https://www.customdynamics.com/8-pin-slimline-smart-signal-stabilizer-load-equalizer-for-harley-davidson?cat=59
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

joejoebobo

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 08:11:42 AM »

this is the updated version of the one i used:  https://www.customdynamics.com/8-pin-slimline-smart-signal-stabilizer-load-equalizer-for-harley-davidson?cat=59

Yep, saw that one. thanks. Was a little more than I wanted to spend but - it is what it is.
-Joe

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.