Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Apple Car Play problems  (Read 8217 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Apple Car Play problems
« on: March 01, 2020, 05:46:36 PM »

On my new 2020 Tri Glide I can't get Car Play to initialize or if it does to work consistently.  I've tried it several times in my garage with ignition on accessory and it works perfectly . . . as would be expected, duh!  But when I head out on the road for some reason (bests the heck out of me) it won't work. 

So here's the lowdown on my  setup and settings.  I have the latest Boom!Box software as of last week . . . and the latest Apple iPhone software.  Boom!Box has Projection set to On as required.  iPhone X shows Boom!Box as connected and to allow CarPlay when the screen is locked.  I use a wired J&M headset as a mic is required.

Heading out for a ride today.  Backed it out to the drive and after we mounted and started out CarPlay was not active.  After several miles it suddenly became active and worked.  After a gas stop it worked for a while then disappeared never to return the entire 75 miles or so of the ride.  Got back home, fired it up in the garage and it worked fine.

Anyone have any idea of what the problem might be.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: Apple Car Play problems
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 07:25:54 PM »

have you tried deleting all your pairings and re-pairing everything?  i had some weird issues with mine and had to do that and it seems to be working fine now.

I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 10:19:34 PM »

have you tried deleting all your pairings and re-pairing everything?  i had some weird issues with mine and had to do that and it seems to be working fine now.
I did but thanks for the suggestion.   :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2007 Buell XB12SCg, 2000 FXSTD Deuce
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 12:08:10 AM »

I had a similar issue. Turned out the USB cable between phone and bike had an intermittent failure. Changed the cable and all worked fine.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 12:31:14 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm going to try another USB / lightening cable - an 'official' Apple cable and see if that makes a difference.

Also, i spoke to H-D customer care today about this and he asked if I used a wired or wireless headset.  I said wired and its a J&M.  He did not know specifically but did say he sort of remembered hearing that some headsets didn't work properly in that CarPlay didn't recognize that a headset was plugged in.  Going to speak to J&M about this and found that there is a work around to disable the need for a headset / mic to be plugged in for CarPlay to activate.  May try that also.

IBA member # 45520

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 08:13:24 AM »

For some reason CarPlay can be flakey.  I have had ac few times when I start the bike and car play does not start.  I usually just unplug phone and plug it back in and it works.  I have done all the pair and unpairing.  I have tried with HD brand Sena 20s and HD brand Sena 30K.

Yesterday was a first, rode 150 miles with all working fine.  Then took a turn off the interstate and it quit. 

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

load97

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide Red Pepper & Magnetic Grey With Black Hole
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 09:10:24 AM »

I've had issues as well. Even when I have Carplay to work when locked sometimes it still will require me to unlock the screen anyway. That same behavior there is present in my 2019 Jeep, but hasn't really been present with my 2015 Ram that has a 2018 factory infotainment retro fitted in. I can't even use the front USB in my Jeep with my iPhone 11 Pro. The USB stops working. But the rear will work pretty much most of the time. Now my wife still has the iPhone X and hers works fine in either port of the Jeep. She's had very few issues. I don't think this is strictly an HD issue or Jeep issue. I think Apple is partly to blame. I even installed a USB tool that plugs into the Jeep USB first then the cord in to it. Then the phone to the cord. It lets me know the voltage output, amps output & I think if data is moving (I'd have to verify that/haven't used it much). I've had it where the USB would be completely dead and nothing happen on the phone, but I also had it where the outlet was showing power being transmitted, but the phone not showing it's even charging. Jeep even replaced the front USB about year ago. The previous USB even my wife's iPhone X stopped working twice I think. I even made a youtube video of the Jeep deal.
2019 CVO Road Glide Red Pepper & Magnetic Grey With Black Hole
2017 CVO Street Glide Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black *Traded*

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 12:28:47 AM »

I have a brand new car and honestly have more issues with the Apple Play on it then on my bike. I regularly have to start the car and wait for it to connect and then shut the car off and re cycle everything to get it to work. Havent had to do that in the 15000 miles on my bike (yet..)
Alan

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 04:40:46 PM »

Today I tried something that may help with the CarPlay issues.  I learned from one of John Maxwell's videos there are settings for the Apple CarPlay mic.  A mic is required to be able speak to Siri and it seems to me that the mic may be part of the problem.  And I don't talk to that little b**** anyway.

In any case the Apple CarPlay mic settings are wired, wireless and disable.  I had my dealer flash the BoomBox to disable the mic.  Figured it would take out at least one variable.  Anyway it worked coming home and after I stopped for gas.  Am I confident the problem(s) is/are solved.   :nixweiss: You gotta be kidding, right!   :D  No I'm not confident but perhaps it will be good enough that I can get it to work most of the time and that would be a huge improvement.  :)

Time will tell.  I'll keep you posted. 

IBA member # 45520

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 08:03:10 AM »

I was just in the car, the 18 Chevy.  Only CarPlay issue is you must unlock the phone, no matter the if its set to play when locked.  17 Truck has no issues that I have found with CarPlay.

I do use the WHIM that came with the bike and the 20S or 30K head set.  It usually connects CarPlay fine if headset is on.  However occasionally I have to shut bike down and wait two minutes and try again.  Talk to text with siri works, getting directions through siri works, using the iPhone as an iPod works.

The phone will make a call, it will connect but the person your calling can not hear you, and you cant hear them.  Same with receiving a call it will connect but you cant hear them and they cant hear you.

Seems the iPhone 11 should work for a call, its the most basic and most important reason for a phone.

That said if not using car play, not in projection mode.  The iPhone 11 still cant be used for a phone call, as volume is so low you cant hear them and they cant hear you.

So I am not sure its a CarPlay issue as phone does not work with the boom either way.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 07:40:11 AM »

I have called Harley Customer Service again about this issue.  They keep saying its apple or Sena.  I believe its Harley.

I did some testing yesterday with a Harley Brand 20's.  I paired my iPhone 11 Pro to the 20's, not the bike.  The music was very loud in the helmet speakers.  I mean it was louder at 1/3 volume in the helmet speakers than when the 20's is paired to the Road Glide Boom and the boom volume is max.

Then I had my wife call me.  I had no issue answering the phone.  She was very loud, had to turn volume down to half.  I was also able to call her using seri.  Again no issues hearing her, was only at half volume.

So the iPhone 11 works just fine with the Sena, if paired to the sena.

softer music volume when paired to the Boom, and no phone volume at all when pair to boom tells me its Harley.

Glenncarp

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 07:42:19 PM »

On my new 2020 Tri Glide I can't get Car Play to initialize or if it does to work consistently.  I've tried it several times in my garage with ignition on accessory and it works perfectly . . . as would be expected, duh!  But when I head out on the road for some reason (bests the heck out of me) it won't work. 

So here's the lowdown on my  setup and settings.  I have the latest Boom!Box software as of last week . . . and the latest Apple iPhone software.  Boom!Box has Projection set to On as required.  iPhone X shows Boom!Box as connected and to allow CarPlay when the screen is locked.  I use a wired J&M headset as a mic is required.

Heading out for a ride today.  Backed it out to the drive and after we mounted and started out CarPlay was not active.  After several miles it suddenly became active and worked.  After a gas stop it worked for a while then disappeared never to return the entire 75 miles or so of the ride.  Got back home, fired it up in the garage and it worked fine.

Anyone have any idea of what the problem might be.

Best advice is: Find a lake and chuck all Apple products as far as you can, then wait until this summer for the HD upgrade as Android auto is coming to HD!!!! Wait, hold onto that Iphone, can't wait to see what technical snafu's there are with the Android Auto/HD marriage!

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 07:48:28 PM »

Best advice is: Find a lake and chuck all Apple products as far as you can, then wait until this summer for the HD upgrade as Android auto is coming to HD!!!! Wait, hold onto that Iphone, can't wait to see what technical snafu's there are with the Android Auto/HD marriage!

I hear you.  So true, so true, lol.

IBA member # 45520

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2020, 06:50:41 AM »

One can only hope that Harley does a better job integrating Android Auto than they did CarPlay.  I seriously doubt they will.  Harley has not been know for getting their software right.  They have also not been know for fixing it in a timely matter.

The GT6.5 came out in 2104.  It was still used on my 2018, and harley was still trying to get software issues corrected.  The GTS came out in 19 and still has lots of issues.

My truck nor car have software issues, neither has ever required an update.

I switched to apple for computer in 09.  Switched to the iPhone in 15.  Much happier with apple than I was with windows and android.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 04:48:53 PM »

Apple has come out with ios13.4 with some “improvements” including CarPlay.
Has anyone downloaded the latest version on their phone to see if there are any improvements to the gts units on 2019 and up?

My system “kinda” works most of the time but not as seamless as on the car.
 :nixweiss:
HOGMIKE
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 24 queries.