Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 CVO RG Ultra - Looking for help on Head Unit / Amp replacement  (Read 1144 times)

ramseyusmc

• Retired Jarhead
    • VA

I have a 2015 RG Ultra CVO.

I am looking at replacing the head unit with: Sony 7000 from FatHeadCycles (https://fatheadcycles.com/collections/harley-davidson-audio/products/sony-7000)

It says it is not compatible with the Boom Amp system.

I am considering replacing the Amp as well... I heard there are some amps that allow me to use the existing wiring, so I do not have to run new wires all the way to the speakers.. but cannot find them.

Bottom line, I am looking to get Android Auto capability without buying the $1,900 upgrade from Harley.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: 2015 CVO RG Ultra - Looking for help on Head Unit / Amp replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 01:53:05 PM »

by the time it's all said and done, you'll probably have spent close to that amount anyway.  but you will have a better sounding system   :bananarock:

the flip side to that is, android auto is not a 'hatched egg' yet.  supposed to be released  this spring/summer, but you know with hd it's better to not hold your breath.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 05:19:55 PM »

Don't get caught in the rain with that head unit and be real careful washing your bike.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

ramseyusmc

• Retired Jarhead
    • VA

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 10:16:05 PM »

Don't get caught in the rain with that head unit and be real careful washing your bike.

What's your basis?  Do you know anyone who has had problems?  Stories you're aware of?

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 12:27:50 AM »

What's your basis?  Do you know anyone who has had problems?  Stories you're aware of?
I heard it was the 5000 that would have problems, I just saw a post some where about it and the 7000 was to be waterproof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 05:51:16 AM »

Lots of info on the Facebook forums. Guys have gotten it wet and it fogs up but clears off within a few hours.

I heard it was the 5000 that would have problems, I just saw a post some where about it and the 7000 was to be waterproof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Water sealed buttons. Says right on their paperwork that it's weather resistant. Nothing about waterproof.

Not my money. Just passing along the info.

ramseyusmc

• Retired Jarhead
    • VA

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 07:01:30 PM »

Thanks for the gouge.

Anyone know which amps is the one that uses Harley wiring?

ramseyusmc

• Retired Jarhead
    • VA

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 09:41:04 AM »

Anyone know which amps use the Factory wiring on a Harley?  Or are easy to install?

Glenncarp

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 09:54:17 AM »

Anyone know which amps use the Factory wiring on a Harley?  Or are easy to install?

J&M is plug and play with the HD junk, but be aware you are taking 2 OHM for HD and 99.9% or real radio world is 4 OHM, there are many threads on here regarding this issue. If you are changing head unit, then I'd look at Rockford-Fosgate https://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/selector/motorcycle-kits/. If you want to stay simple and just change amp and speakers, J&M is cheapest and easiest with decent sound. If you want full on kick ass, Pete and Custom Soundz rocks, you would just have to find him at a large rally and have $2,500 to $4,000 to spend, but workmanship and sound quality is unsurpassed and customer service is beyond expected

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 02:12:59 PM »

Do you realize that if you have speakers in your tour pak that you have 3 amps in 3 different places with speaker wires leaving each amp to its own 2 speakers respectively.  So unless your going to buy 3 amps & a head unit....you get my drift.  Optimally you would buy a head unit and 1 nice amp to power  all the speakers but because of location you would have to run new wires to the bags & tour park, and then deal with splicing into wires to get through your oem quick disconnects or adding new ones. 

P.S.:  I added the HD Speaker amp kit awhile ago to my lowers cause I didn't want to cut up the bike even though I known better sound would result by sh_t canning the stock system, and the one thing I don't like is when adding the new amp to the side bag the new HD quick disconnects are a pain in the ass to disconnect as opposed to the stock ones when cleaning / servicing the bike.  Hope this info helps
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 04:10:10 PM by RivRaptor »
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 06:23:48 PM »

Do you realize that if you have speakers in your tour pak that you have 3 amps in 3 different places with speaker wires leaving each amp to its own 2 speakers respectively.  So unless your going to buy 3 amps & a head unit....you get my drift.  Optimally you would buy a head unit and 1 nice amp to power  all the speakers but because of location you would have to run new wires to the bags & tour park, and then deal with splicing into wires to get through your oem quick disconnects or adding new ones. 

P.S.:  I added the HD Speaker amp kit awhile ago to my lowers cause I didn't want to cut up the bike even though I known better sound would result by sh_t canning the stock system, and the one thing I don't like is when adding the new amp to the side bag the new HD quick disconnects are a pain in the ass to disconnect as opposed to the stock ones when cleaning / servicing the bike.  Hope this info helps
If the OP has the stock system in His bike, He has one amp in the fairing and just the 4 speakers common on the Ultras. He has the same bike I do and that's the stock setup.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 07:18:32 PM »

I have a 16 rgu ultra. If I were thinking about changing the head unit, I would go with the new HD unit that comes in 19 and newer models. As far as amps and speakers, I would look at soundz customz in Holly Hill FL.  I have their stuff in 2bikes. You won't go wrong.       He's really good at Mc audio.     Stuart.

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 08:52:00 PM »

Yea what Cvostu said!
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 03:54:46 AM »

X3 on soundz 👍🏽
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 03:48:27 PM »

"If the OP has the stock system in His bike, He has one amp in the fairing and just the 4 speakers common on the Ultras. He has the same bike I do and that's the stock setup."

Sorry didn't realize that the CVO SG that year looks like the only multi amp (2) set-up and not until 18' did the CVO SG get a (3) amp 6 speaker set-up.  I added the (3rd) HD amp set-up to my 17'.
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 24 queries.