Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Radio died. Suggestions for new?  (Read 1627 times)

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
Radio died. Suggestions for new?
« on: April 28, 2008, 12:21:36 AM »

Okay... My radio died this afternoon while riding.  no clock. no light. no sound. no nothing.  I have power going in in at least 3 places on the connectors, and the fuse is good, so I don't think it's an external wiring issue, but...   whatever...   dammit.   With my luck, I prolly drowned it when I washed the bike last week... :nixweiss:

Is there a good plug and play replacement that keeps everything working right on the bar controls that anybody knows of? 
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Radio died. Suggestions for new?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 12:33:54 AM »

Shannon;

Hawg-wired makes a kit that will adapt any remote ready Sony radio to work with the handlebar controls. Also their mounting kit is second to none. Others availible out there are cheap plastic. HW's is a steel cage and a billet aluminum faceplate.

2lane did a review and install on one here:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=22292.0

Let me know if interested.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 12:40:32 AM »

Okay... My radio died this afternoon while riding.  no clock. no light. no sound. no nothing.  I have power going in in at least 3 places on the connectors, and the fuse is good, so I don't think it's an external wiring issue, but...   whatever...   dammit.   With my luck, I prolly drowned it when I washed the bike last week... :nixweiss:

Is there a good plug and play replacement that keeps everything working right on the bar controls that anybody knows of? 

This kit makes most Sony head units a plug and play installation.  It really does make it a very simple install.  Dude sells it discounted.

http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.php?products_id=36

Along with it I used this Sony marine radio. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360038006525

It lights up in red as a very good match to our other instruments (not all Sony's do that).  It's a marine unit for the potential benefits that might provide.  And it's a got an Ipod adaptor for those who do that.

EGlideGoodies sells separately a smoke colored plexi face shielf that will cover the radio hole in the inner to protect the radio even more during heavy rains or bike washes.  That part was about $20 if I remember right.

All tolled all this was a LOT cheaper than a new Harley branded radio. 

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 04:46:33 PM »

Oh fer cryin' out loud...   

So I get an appointment with a dealer in a far away town, finally.  (my dealer's a jack-ass and I won't darken thier doorway. period.  and it's mutual)

So, Sunday I get up early,  gear up,  KU at 0800, and wife's on board  :-* even though it's rainy and high 30's, and off we go. 

80 miles up the road the damned radio comes on,  :o and seems to be working just fine.  WTF!  (Is it afraid of the new dealers service team?)   ugh....

My theory is....   musta been wet?  cold?  pms?     damend thing.  It's just like my ex-wife.  except it started working again.  I never did teach HER that trick!   :P
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 09:49:03 AM »

Do  you have the Radio Sound or Harmon version? Radio Sound has a flat fee, i think $250, to fix their radios. Not sure but i think Harmon has a similiar program. Radio Sound and Harmon Tech support can be found with google search.

I also think Radio Sound has an exchange program but don't know any detais how that works.

But it sounds like she is working again so hopefully your o.k.

Good luck!

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 10:36:08 AM »

Call RadioSound in Louisville Kentucky with the #'s off the back of your radio, describe the problem, and they will give you the price to repair.  If the price is ok, give them a credit card#, ship radio to them with the return # on the box, and they ship back the next day after they receive it.

www.radiosound.com

They charged me $125 to repair the cd changer.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 10:55:31 AM by Boatman »

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 22 queries.