Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aftermarket Horns With Lowers  (Read 1557 times)

Buffy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Big Ugly Fat Friggin' Yankee

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 - Scarlett Red Wide Glide
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR - Orange & Black
Aftermarket Horns With Lowers
« on: March 08, 2009, 08:45:15 PM »

Don't know how to ask this without sounding crazy, but I'll try. 

Because I plan on riding more long trips, I added lowers to my Road Glide and I love how they work.   :2vrolijk_21:

That being said, I am disappointed with the performance of the stock horn.  Throw in the lowers and you can see it doesn't get much volume to the front of the bike. I have looked at Howard's Horns, or Mini-Beast, but it still seems that the lowers will drastically impede any horn that I choose.   
:soapbox:

Any ideas on how I can enhance my horn to get past my lowers?
  :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 08:47:10 PM by Buffy »
John & his 2001 Screamin' Eagle FXDWG2               and              2007 FLTR "Ultra" Road Glide
------------------------------------------------------
It\'s Never Too Late To Have A Happy Childhood

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Aftermarket Horns With Lowers
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 11:15:23 PM »

I personally did not want any horn that faced forward and would be blasting into the lowers on my FLHTCUSE and reflected back to me, so I went with the Mini - Beast horn. That horn is very loud and it blasts the sound straight out to the side yet it gets out to the front with NO problem. I have woke up many inattentive drivers in front of me with the Mini - Beast.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 08:34:07 AM »

Relatively low frequency sound waves, such as those produced by the typical horn, are not directional in nature.  In other words, the horn doesn't need to be aimed at those you wish to alert. 

Think of it in terms of a speaker system.  The woofer (low frequencies) can be located anywhere and be aimed at the floor or a wall, but the tweeters (high frequencies) need to be "aimed" at the listener.  The types of horns used on cars and bikes are of lower frequencies and therefore non-directional. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 08:45:28 AM »

I bought Rivco's Magnum Electric Horns (http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=114&cat=260&page=1).

I bought a steel bar at Home Depot that was pre-drilled with 1/2" holes spaced about 1" to 1-1/4" apart. From this, I fashioned two L-shaped brackets. I mounted these inside the fairing on my '07 FLTR. One end of each bar was bolted down using the top inner fairing bolt that attached the inner fairing to the frame bracket. These bolts are in the middle of the inner fairing just below the radio.

The brackets went from the bolt straight out to either side about 6-8", then made a 90-degree bend towards the back of the bike. The horns were mounted to the very end of the bracket facing forward.

Of course, I had to install the wiring harness for the horns which required some modification (lengthening of wires) because the manufacturer suggests strapping these horns to the right side of the swingarm. Ultimately, these horns were wired into the horn switch using a relay. The stock horn was not disabled.

While true air horns are louder, these horns were plenty loud (118db) and required no air compressor. The only downside is that the horns are only good for about a 30-second sustained blast before the sound starts to degrade. This should not be an issue in most situations.

Yes, I know  that :worthless: However, I just traded the bike and I don't have pictures from the fabrication/assembly...

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 10:15:18 AM »

I have the mini-beast and the lowers won't be an issue of anyone hearing the horn.

Not sure on the new miniII styling but the horns at 130db are very effective and again the lowers don't impede the horn from reaching out with the horns warning IMO.

Buffy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Big Ugly Fat Friggin' Yankee

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 - Scarlett Red Wide Glide
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR - Orange & Black
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 07:03:53 PM »

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.   :morningcoffee:

I have a better feel for which way I will be heading (Mini-Beast) by the fact of no compressor needed and it's omni-directional.   :xyxthumbs:

Again, thanks a lot!

John & his 2001 Screamin' Eagle FXDWG2               and              2007 FLTR "Ultra" Road Glide
------------------------------------------------------
It\'s Never Too Late To Have A Happy Childhood

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.