Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Decisions, decisions.....  (Read 1570 times)

Gordito

• Full CVO Member
  • I know Jack Sh*t
Decisions, decisions.....
« on: May 24, 2006, 01:42:49 PM »

I need help fellas.
I'm considering changing out my stock cams for gear drives in my 06 FLHTCUSE. If I use the cams recommended, I also have to change the springs. Not really a big deal, but my question is this: does the benefit outweigh the cost? Since I'm in CA, and we get a stepped down bike compared to the rest of you, I'm wondering if the changes just bring me up to your numbers or if I'm going to notice a dramatic change compared to the ride I had this AM? Can any of you Cali riders provide me a little insight?

When I had the SERT installed, the dealer didn't run it on the dyno because I was under 500 miles. Am considering just dialing it in and riding her until I need to change my cams.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 01:59:59 PM by gordito »
2006 FLHTCUSE
Red Shift 575 gear drive cams
Heads ported & polished
Zippers hi flow air filter
Bassani True Duals
Bassani Megaphones
race tuner

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Decisions, decisions.....
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 02:00:57 PM »

Hi Gordito,
I would have to know what is your main reason for going to a gear drive cam? Performance or dependability?
If the gear drive setup has simmular timing as stock you will not get a performance gain but it will be more dependable than the stock setup with the chain and tensioner at the expense of a slight increase of engine noise.
If you go with a different valve timing with the new gear drive cam setup you can increase performance some but probably not very much until you open up the intake and exhaust systems with better air cleaner and a free flowing exhaust.
You would probably do best with a complete package from Freedom or Zipper's etc.That will give you a balanced  package and cut down on the dyno tuning time and troubleshooting trying to dial in your setup.
But since you are in California you may have trouble passing inspections with any mods too?

sanjoseduke

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 02:02:43 PM »

I need help fellas.
I'm considering changing out my stock cams for gear drives in my 06 FLHTCUSE. If I use the cams recommended, I also have to change the springs. Not really a big deal, but my question is this: does the benefit outweigh the cost? Since I'm in CA, and we get stepped down bike compared to the rest of you, I'm wondering if the changes just bring me up to your numbers or if I'm going to notice a dramatic change compared to the ride I had this AM? Can any of you Cali riders provide me a little insight?

When I had the SERT installed, the dealer didn't run it on the dyno because I was under 500 miles. Am considering just dialing it in and riding her until I need to change my cams.

Thanks in advance

I just got my 06-CUSE back from Freedom cycle and can't believe the difference. You can check the dyno numbers at http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1147927973. I had them do the entire Freedom package (pipes, PC, Air) as well as the cams. This bike is like a rocket. Best money I spent on it so far. The torque really helps with the HD 6 speed. I can cruise in the 70 MPH range in 6'th and don't have to downshift to pass.

SanJoseDuke
13 FLHTCUSE8

Retired & Loving it!

Gordito

• Full CVO Member
  • I know Jack Sh*t
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 02:35:45 PM »

Hi Gordito,
I would have to know what is your main reason for going to a gear drive cam? Performance or dependability?
If the gear drive setup has simmular timing as stock you will not get a performance gain but it will be more dependable than the stock setup with the chain and tensioner at the expense of a slight increase of engine noise.
If you go with a different valve timing with the new gear drive cam setup you can increase performance some but probably not very much until you open up the intake and exhaust systems with better air cleaner and a free flowing exhaust.
You would probably do best with a complete package from Freedom or Zipper's etc.That will give you a balanced  package and cut down on the dyno tuning time and troubleshooting trying to dial in your setup.
But since you are in California you may have trouble passing inspections with any mods too?

I'm thinking performance.
I've already installed the SE race tuner, air cleaner and Bassani true duals. Since the engine isn't truly broken in (approx 1600 mi), I may just have it dyno'ed and ride her for awhile and get the heads done when I finally change the cams. Too many choices..... 8-)
2006 FLHTCUSE
Heads ported & polished
Bassani True Duals
Bassani Megaphones
race tuner

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 05:40:25 PM »

What's the deal with these FCC9 cams.  Are they gear drive??Do I have to change springs???Port Heads???Talk to me boyz.
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 06:05:55 PM »

What's the deal with these FCC9 cams.  Are they gear drive??Do I have to change springs???Port Heads???Talk to me boyz.

These are a bolt in cam, no head work is required. Yes they are gear drive. The "kit" they offer has the S&S gear set, bearings, push rod tubes, and push rods.

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 06:31:51 PM »

Anyone have the spec's on the Freedom Cams? Result's look good.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 06:47:10 PM »

Anyone have the spec's on the Freedom Cams? Result's look good.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Ahh the specs.......Freedom Cycles does not feel the need to publish the specs on their cams. They feel that they "don't want to train the competition" [smiley=nixweiss.gif]. Its an odd stance to take given the fact that every other cam grinder out there publishes the data. I think that all of us here feel that they should give up the info but they won't. I struggled with the decision between these cams and the Zippers 575's for a time waiting to see results. Based on the early Dyno's of the 575's and the Freedom Cams i decided to go with the Freedom's. I have used Freedom's products in the past and have trust in what they tell me. The thing that made me very happy with my choice was the results of the Dyno that I had done by a third party. I think that either cam you choose will do as its advertised and make you very happy.

Gordito

• Full CVO Member
  • I know Jack Sh*t
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 10:50:48 AM »

Ahh the specs.......Freedom Cycles does not feel the need to publish the specs on their cams. They feel that they "don't want to train the competition" [smiley=nixweiss.gif]. Its an odd stance to take given the fact that every other cam grinder out there publishes the data. I think that all of us here feel that they should give up the info but they won't. I struggled with the decision between these cams and the Zippers 575's for a time waiting to see results. Based on the early Dyno's of the 575's and the Freedom Cams i decided to go with the Freedom's. I have used Freedom's products in the past and have trust in what they tell me. The thing that made me very happy with my choice was the results of the Dyno that I had done by a third party. I think that either cam you choose will do as its advertised and make you very happy.

What pipes are you running? Anyone running Bassanis with either Zippers or Freedom cams??
2006 FLHTCUSE
Heads ported & polished
Bassani True Duals
Bassani Megaphones
race tuner

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 10:52:35 AM »

What pipes are you running? Anyone running Bassanis with either Zippers or Freedom cams??

I am running the Freedom Exhaust system which is very similiar to the Rienharts.

Page created in 0.988 seconds with 24 queries.