Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: chirping noise during acceleration  (Read 14028 times)

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
Re: chirping noise during acceleration
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 09:32:35 AM »

Mine did the opposite! Chirping noise when I would down shift and let off the throttle. Pull the clutch in and it would stop. Problem? LOOSE BELT!!.......Good Luck!!

Exactly the same here, at first I thought it was my tire chirping every time I instantly accel/decel in all gears at most any speed or RPM.
I have come to the conclusion that it is not tire and compression (decel) or WOT (accel) but might be belt or the shock absorbing rubber goody in the wheel between it and the belt pulley??? I will check belt tension/ etc. but if it isn't the belt, how do U deal with the other area (rubber between pulley and rear wheel) that has the potential to chirp!.....
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

KennyC

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004SE E-Glide Org/Blk
    • CVO2: I Wish
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 10:37:39 AM »

Not sure what to do about those other areas if tightening the belt doesn't help. Ever time I get that chirping noise it has been my belt on the loose side. The looser the belt the more the chirp

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 12:38:22 PM »

Several FLH's around here "sqeek" or maybe "chirp". Most often it is the rubber mounting sleeve at the rear of the muffler hanger bracket. A drop or two of silicone spray stops it. Repeat as required. FWIW twinotter  ;)

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 12:47:25 PM »

I have a different chirping (squeaking) noise. It doesn't do it every day and it's only when I let off the throttle during the first mile or two of the ride. The noise seems to be coming from the right side of the handlebars but nothing moves over there. Could it be the speedometer or tachometer cable ?

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 03:18:49 PM »

this may or not be related or helpful.  I too had a chirping sound of some sort that was driving me insane.  right side, slow speed or high it was the same.  seemed to increase with vibration. I looked and looked.  I thought it was possibly the lifters.  rev'ed it in the garage and slowly put my ear near different areas.  I finally localized it to the front end. Checked headlight, turn signals etc. i grabbed the part where the turn signal is mounted into the fork area. it was a vibration that was plastic to metal making the sound.  I loosened and the tightened the bolts (one above turn signal and one below) and that was the issue.  Harmonic distortion.  maybe this will help.  good luck

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 09:53:21 PM »

HD sells a poly lube for the drive belt. Mine did the same thing. I coated the sides of the belt and it was gone. Good luck.
X2 on the poly lube. mine sounded like brake squeal...Face
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 22 queries.