Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alabama Cracking Down on Speeding  (Read 1560 times)

REGGAB

Alabama Cracking Down on Speeding
« on: July 26, 2007, 10:20:25 AM »

This came across the Redstone Arsenal domain this morning.  Good info to have.  Please be aware of this if you happen to travel in our Great State 13-18 AUG 2007.

To: AOC Staff
Subject: Take Our Roads Back Campaign

FYI.  I have been told that this is from the head of the Alabama Court
System warning about a "zero tolerance" speeding ticket week starting 13 Aug

Dear Staff: 

During the Judges Conference last week, a representative of the
Department of Public Safety spoke concerning an upcoming event I thought you
would be interested in learning about.  During the week of August 13-18,
2007, the Alabama Department of Public Safety will have every supervisor and
eligible staff person in uniform and on the roads.
This will add approximately 150 more troopers to the highways during this
week. 

It is my understanding that they will be maintaining a "zero
tolerance" rule on speeding and other violations, meaning that if you are 1
mile over the speed limit, you will be ticketed. They will also be looking
for other traffic violations, such as not wearing seat belts and reckless
driving.

The purpose of this campaign is to emphasize public safety on
the roads and hopefully save lives.  While I hope you will always drive
safely, please be aware of the special emphasis on road safety during this
week.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Alabama Cracking Down on Speeding
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 10:24:13 AM »

This came across the Redstone Arsenal domain this morning.  Good info to have.  Please be aware of this if you happen to travel in our Great State 13-18 AUG 2007.

To: AOC Staff
Subject: Take Our Roads Back Campaign

FYI.  I have been told that this is from the head of the Alabama Court
System warning about a "zero tolerance" speeding ticket week starting 13 Aug

Dear Staff: 

During the Judges Conference last week, a representative of the
Department of Public Safety spoke concerning an upcoming event I thought you
would be interested in learning about.  During the week of August 13-18,
2007, the Alabama Department of Public Safety will have every supervisor and
eligible staff person in uniform and on the roads.
This will add approximately 150 more troopers to the highways during this
week. 

It is my understanding that they will be maintaining a "zero
tolerance" rule on speeding and other violations, meaning that if you are 1
mile over the speed limit, you will be ticketed. They will also be looking
for other traffic violations, such as not wearing seat belts and reckless
driving.

The purpose of this campaign is to emphasize public safety on
the roads and hopefully save lives.  While I hope you will always drive
safely, please be aware of the special emphasis on road safety during this
week.

There goes another state to avoid! ::) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 12:16:26 PM »

Our government has become oppressive.  Even the most law abiding citizens feel threatened when they even see a cop car.  I am personally aware of several instances where my friends have been stopped for no good reason.  When they ask why they were stopped the cop makes up a lie.  Didn't come to a complete stop, went over the fog line, etc.  When my band would leave a night club at 2am, I've had cops do u turns on the highway, rush up behind me to try and intimidate me -get me to swerve or whatever, and follow me home.  Although I hadn't had any alcohol, they assume anyone out at that hour leaving a bar is an easy mark.  If they can't fund their departments through enough DUIs, they simply start roadblocks -which IMHO is a violation of our constitutional rights- to get a few more.  I am one Vietnam vet who believes our country's best days are long behind us. 
  Enjoy riding your air cooled Harleys as long as you can, the EPA is about to take them away from us.  -Retail Steve
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 01:14:17 PM »

I never care a bit about a cop doing his job.  Even if he's doing it to me.  But some do go overboard though.  They forget who works for who.  Just last month at just before 1:00 AM, stone sober and doing nothing but driving, I got pulled over for "swerving within my lane."  Yes, within.

Second sentence out of the cop's mouth was "do you mind if I look inside the car."  First sentence was "we may have to do a field test."  He assumed people would jump at the latter to avoid the former. What a tool. 

It was my turn to speak for the next 90 seconds or so.  My last sentence was "are we waiting for your shift commander in your car or here on the side of the road?"  The boy got in his car and drove away.

Hobo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 03:57:25 PM »

Don,
   What else did you tell the officer? I sure wish I'd been there to hear that conversation. Good job standing up for your rights.

Hobo :2vrolijk_21:
2001 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide (FLTRSEI2)

harleydiva

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 04:43:03 PM »

If you are driving through Birmingham and the speed limit is 60, drive 60, if it is 55, drive 55.  Fairly recent changes in the limit, and yesterday I saw several folks pulled over.   :(

harleydiva

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 04:43:57 PM »

By the way, they were all pulled over by cops who were driving Harley's. 

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 04:54:52 PM »

I just hope the cop bikes didn't have a 5th gear whine, or that their engines weren't running too hot!  -I hope they know about Amsoil.  :orange: -Retail& Steve
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 04:56:17 PM »

Don,
   What else did you tell the officer? I sure wish I'd been there to hear that conversation. Good job standing up for your rights.

Hobo :2vrolijk_21:

I'm with Hobo.
I want to hear the story also.
I might want to use the line.

Or,
Mr. Officer I know this guy named Don and here's his # and he wants to talk to you.
While your conversing with him I'm going to get on my bike and leave. Have a great day officer!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 05:18:09 PM »

I'm with Hobo.
I want to hear the story also.
I might want to use the line.

Or,
Mr. Officer I know this guy named Don and here's his # and he wants to talk to you.
While your conversing with him I'm going to get on my bike and leave. Have a great day officer!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That particular officer might have known when to go search for another target.  Path of least resistance and all that.  It's not always worked that way.  One night I'm pretty sure I learned the exactly wrong thing to say to a highway patrolman.

Was in the old 57 vette outside of town an hour or so.  About 2:00 AM.  Going down this dark, straight, well known stretch of road doing .... miles per hour or so in a 55 zone.  Then suddenly out of the darkness a 1/4 miles back are cherries pulling out of a corn field.

This was not a happy trooper.  Bad night.  No girlfriend.  Something.  But he was not in a good mood.  So after all the preamble is done he tells me to to come back and sit in the cruiser while he's writing me up. 

I'm toast, hosed, earned it; it's all good.  Not in a bad mood at all.  As he hands me the ticket to sign I (for some stupid reason) say "gee man, both guys last week just gave me a warning."

Oh my god.....  ???  It didn't get cloudy over Pompeii quicker than this guy started raining all over me.  And I just never ever ever ever NEVER should have laughed.

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 08:59:50 AM »

I never care a bit about a cop doing his job.  Even if he's doing it to me.  But some do go overboard though.  They forget who works for who.  Just last month at just before 1:00 AM, stone sober and doing nothing but driving, I got pulled over for "swerving within my lane."  Yes, within.

Second sentence out of the cop's mouth was "do you mind if I look inside the car."  First sentence was "we may have to do a field test."  He assumed people would jump at the latter to avoid the former. What a tool. 

It was my turn to speak for the next 90 seconds or so.  My last sentence was "are we waiting for your shift commander in your car or here on the side of the road?"  The boy got in his car and drove away.

Same thing happened to me a while back while I was stationed in CA.  I was the DD driving a friends pickup and it was windy as all get out.  The cop pulled me over for weaving IN MY LANE.  I told him that it was windy, he asked if I had been drinking and I said that I was the DD.  He had an attitude from the start and started giving me the riot.  I kept calm and when he was finished  I said "sir I am an officer in the US military, I have not been drinking I have been abiding by the rules and I have been respectful which is more than I can say for you, now if you utter one more disrespectful thing we are going down to YOUR station and I am going to speak with your Sgt then your Capt"  He asked me to get out of the truck and apologized profusely to me.

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 01:13:18 PM »

Same thing happened to me a while back while I was stationed in CA.  I was the DD driving a friends pickup and it was windy as all get out.  The cop pulled me over for weaving IN MY LANE.  I told him that it was windy, he asked if I had been drinking and I said that I was the DD.  He had an attitude from the start and started giving me the riot.  I kept calm and when he was finished  I said "sir I am an officer in the US military, I have not been drinking I have been abiding by the rules and I have been respectful which is more than I can say for you, now if you utter one more disrespectful thing we are going down to YOUR station and I am going to speak with your Sgt then your Capt"  He asked me to get out of the truck and apologized profusely to me.

Seegarz

Much the same with my little chat.  It is ok to remind civil servants that "civil" is part of the title when they need it.  You just have to be willing to step up the chain of command if they are preternatural assholes rather than merely ones of the moment.

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 04:53:55 PM »

Much the same with my little chat.  It is ok to remind civil servants that "civil" is part of the title when they need it.  You just have to be willing to step up the chain of command if they are preternatural assholes rather than merely ones of the moment.
Well said, Two.

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 22 queries.