Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Riders Gather for Rolling Thunder Tribute to Veter  (Read 2027 times)

searay

• SeDeuce Me
Riders Gather for Rolling Thunder Tribute to Veter
« on: May 29, 2005, 10:01:46 PM »

I recieved this today from the American Forces Press Service thought some of you folks would like to read this. To all the vet's & those who have paid the most we say, THANK!

By K.L. Vantrtan
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, May 29, 2005  - The early morning sun glistened off the Vietnam veteran pins on Paul Sirks' blue denim jacket as he waited for the Metro at the New Carrollton, Md., station this morning.

The 20-year Army veteran, who served in Vietnam during 1965, 1966 and "a little bit of '67," and his friend Diana Plummer, who also sported a blue denim jacket with Vietnam pins and American flags, were on their way to support those riding in the "Rolling Thunder" tribute in Washington.

Sirks and Plummer are members of the Harley Owners Group Chapter in Annapolis, Md. Originally from Ohio, this is the third year Sirks and Plummer have participated in Rolling Thunder, which pays tribute to those killed in Vietnam and remembers those missing from all conflicts. They said they participated in last year's Rolling Thunder but opted to watch from the sidelines this year. Their chapter will have about 400 riding from the Pentagon across the Memorial Bridge to the National Mall's Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

"It feels good to be part of the ride," said Sirks, who voluntarily enlisted in the Army. "There's nothing like it. But, you don't get to see all the bikes."

Plummer said she sees the changes in her friend's face as the day progresses.

"He's lucky to be here," she said, referring to wounds that earned Sirks three Purple Heart medals.

Sirks' eyes teared as he talked about the friendships that combat creates.

"Some came back; some didn't. I'll see them today," he said as he wiped his eyes.

The Army veteran said patriotism is important and that the big story with Rolling Thunder is the people who travel across the country to participate. Each year since the rally was first held in 1988, the number of riders has grown. Last year, an estimated 400,000 motorcycles made the ride.

In preparation for his part in Rolling Thunder, Vietnam veteran Richard "Poncho" Pontious took his motor home from Las Vegas to Ohio and got a "couple of days rest" before heading to Ontario, Calif., to join up with a group that was riding from there. They started their journey May 18 and rode anywhere from 127 to 400 miles a day to reach the rallying point in the Pentagon's North Parking lot.

On days they didn't rack up the mileage, the bikers stopped at schools and told their stories to children. One such stop was in West Virginia. The children, said Pontious, had held events to raise money to pay for the bikers' lunches. "They put on a show (for us)," he added. "It was outstanding. I can't wait to do it again next year."

This year's ride took on a special significance for Pontious. Fellow rider and Vietnam veteran Tom "Ghost" Titus lost his son, Army Spc. Brandon T. Titus of the 10th Mountain Division, last August during Operation Iraqi Freedom.

This ride, said Pontious, was in memory of Brandon. "It's important to not let anyone forget all the men and women who give their lives for the freedoms in this country," added the Purple Heart recipient. "A lot of people paid the maximum and shouldn't be forgotten. There are people who will never know the cost.

"They just don't know," he said as talked about sharing a bunker with someone one minute and having that person gone the next. "We need to work our way to a war-free world," he added as he wiped tears from his eyes.

Although they're not veterans, Barb and Rich Smerkar of Greensburg, Pa., said they strongly support the efforts of Rolling Thunder and that's why they ride.

Barb said they normally don't take their bikes out when it's raining, but they braved a downpour at their home May 27 to get here on time to ride from the Pentagon to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. "It's just that important to us," she added.

"It's important to support the veterans and those serving today and appreciate what they do for us," said Rich. "We take a lot for granted."

"If not for them," added Barb, "we wouldn't be sitting here today."

Biography:

Gen. Richard B. Myers, USAF [http://www.defenselink.mil/bios/myers_bio.html]

searay

• SeDeuce Me
Re: Riders Gather for Rolling Thunder Tribute to V
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 06:21:47 PM »

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld thanked the thousands of riders in the 18th annual Rolling Thunder Ride for Freedom for their support of veterans issues and of today's troops.

The secretary addressed the crowd on the National Mall May 29.

Hundreds of thousands of Vietnam veterans and others rode their motorcycles into Washington to bring attention to the prisoner of war/missing in action issue.

Rolling Thunder, Inc., is a non-profit organization that aims to highlight the fact that many American servicemembers from past wars are still unaccounted for. Vietnam veterans Artie Muller and Ray Manzo founded Rolling Thunder in 1987.

"My goodness look at the crowd," Rumsfeld said. "I wish every one of you could stand up here and see what you all look like. You look fantastic!

"To the riders of Rolling Thunder, I want to thank you so very much for what you are doing for the veterans and the country -- patriots all," Rumsfeld said.

Rumsfeld stated that the United States has been blessed because of the countless men and women from every generation who have stepped forward to defend freedom.

"Many of those patriots are here today. Some did not return home. The members of Rolling Thunder have not forgotten a single one of them," he said.

He thanked the members of the organization for what they have done for America's veterans, including donating money to the families of veterans. He also thanked them for volunteering their time and for speaking to America's youth regarding the high price of freedom.

"But particularly I want to thank you for your support of the men and women in uniform who are fighting today on the front lines in Afghanistan and Iraq and other troubled spots around the globe," Rumsfeld said. "They are serving with great courage, skill, with confidence and professionalism, and they are doing truly noble work for our country."

He noted that today's armed forces have toppled two tyrannies and liberated 50 million people. "They are making our country safer and the world more free," he added.

Rumsfeld also spoke about how much the world has changed in the 18 years since Rolling Thunder began.

"Since the first Rolling Thunder in 1987 the world has been transformed. It's a world that has been transformed by the same freedoms for which you ride today," he said.

He noted that the late 1980s was a time of oppression and tyranny, in which entire families died trying to escape communism.

"And the dictator in Iraq was gassing the Iraqi people, killing tens of thousands, and piling them in mass graves that the free Iraqi people are finding today. Today Saddam Hussein is in prison, and the Berlin wall is in pieces," he said.

"The Afghan people are free and building a proud new country, having elected the first popularly elected president in 5000 years of its history," he continued.

Rumsfeld added that since Rolling Thunder was founded the number of free countries in the world has almost doubled.

"Victory wasn't always fast, and it wasn't ever easy," he said. "As has been said about the price of freedom: no price that's ever been asked for it is half the cost of being without it."

"You're here today because you know the price of freedom, and I thank you for your commitment to that cause. And I thank the millions who fought for that cause by your sides. We will never forget them," he said.

American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, May 30, 2005  -

Biography:

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld [http://www.dod.mil/bios/secdef_bio.html]

Related Articles:

Rolling Thunder Ride Focuses on POW/MIA Cause [http://www.defenselink.mil/news/May2005/20050530_1406.html]

Riders Gather for Rolling Thunder Tribute to Veterans [http://www.defenselink.mil/news/May2005/20050529_1400.html]

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.