Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: H-D buys U.S. rights to XR1200 trademark  (Read 810 times)

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
H-D buys U.S. rights to XR1200 trademark
« on: July 21, 2008, 07:40:36 PM »

By Motorcycle.Com Staff, Jun. 18, 2008

In a move that will set the rumor mill in motion, Harley-Davidson has reportedly purchased the U.S. trademark rights to “XR1200”. The Motor Company reached an agreement with Storz Performance, Inc. of Ventura Calif. for the rights to the name. Harley-Davidson, of course, recently released its XR1200 as a European-exclusive model. No plans have been announced for a North American release for the bike, disappointing many motorcycle enthusiasts including us here at Motorcycle.com.

Now that Harley-Davidson owns the U.S. rights to the trademark, rumors are sure to start flying again. With the US trademark rights to the name, is The Motor Company laying the groundwork for bringing the XR1200 Stateside? Could Euro-only bike be headed for American streets? :nixweiss:

Storz Performance filed the trademark (U.S. Trademark application No.77/048680) in 2006 for use as a Sportster dirt track conversion kit. Storz Performance founder Steve Storz started the company in 1980 after spending three years as a racing mechanic for The Motor Company’s factory dirt track team, working on the Harley-Davidson XR750 which provided the inspiration for the new XR1200. Storz founded his new company to specialize in building XR750 motors but it later expanded to producing other custom parts. In 2006, Storz Performance introduced the XR 1200 conversion kit which features a custom Storz/Ceriani inverted fork, BUB exhaust, and a hand-formed alloy gas tank.

2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

rubaga

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
    • CVO2: 08 SERK Anniversary
Re: H-D buys U.S. rights to XR1200 trademark
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 08:11:21 PM »

Interesting. I guess we will know in a few hours what the purchase is all about....

Dirkenstien

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 11:47:33 AM »

With their departure from Buell I wouldn't be surprised if Harley used the XR 1200 to fill in the market void. Seems like it would have some success and would beef up the Sporty series a little more which can only be a good thing with the gas price conscious craze going on.

I'm not too sure I like it all that much, though. I guess I'd have to see one in person and take it for a spin before passing judgement.

rubaga

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
    • CVO2: 08 SERK Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 08:01:09 PM »

Seen it today at the dealers. Looks very nice. Very narrow - would be good if you have to drive in towns with heavy traffic. Did not get a chance to drive it. But hopefully soon.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 22 queries.