Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Woman Found Guilty in Fatal Motorcycle Crash  (Read 1279 times)

fxr3joe

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock N Rollin'
Woman Found Guilty in Fatal Motorcycle Crash
« on: May 07, 2010, 01:56:31 PM »

Many of you may recall that a Chicago area female rider was stopped at a light, rear ended and killed by a woman that was polishing her finger nails.  She was found guilty yesterday and is awaiting sentencing.  Here is a link to the story.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=7427352

Ride Safe

joe

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Woman Found Guilty in Fatal Motorcycle Crash
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 02:03:32 PM »

Anita lived about 3 miles from me and this has been a big story ever since.  I have to say this Hunt womans attorney is really working the PR trying to make her out to be a saint or something. The reality is, even as outragious as this story sounds, and that she's dead to rights guilty, being a first major offense, it will be a miracle if she gets any time. Chances are, she's get a long probation and a hefty fine.  The whole thing sucks.  They should take her license away for life in addition a couple of years to think about it!
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 02:21:21 PM »

I agree that the suspect probably won't serve much time unfortunately many people still consider it an "accident" and could happen to anybody.
I hope the victim's family takes this to civil court also and sues for wrongful death. I know a suit will not bring the victim back but it could send an important message if a large settlement is reached.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 02:24:16 PM »

Stronger language and radical driving to endanger and reckless driving laws with minimum mandatories need to be drafted...This is bull...Mother Teresa could kill someone with "distracted" driving and should do 6 months at least. Specially since she croaked. ???

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 02:28:36 PM »

Anita lived about 3 miles from me and this has been a big story ever since.  I have to say this Hunt womans attorney is really working the PR trying to make her out to be a saint or something. The reality is, even as outragious as this story sounds, and that she's dead to rights guilty, being a first major offense, it will be a miracle if she gets any time. Chances are, she's get a long probation and a hefty fine.  The whole thing sucks.  They should take her license away for life in addition a couple of years to think about it!

:2vrolijk_21:    This woman's attorney is a real piece of work, and obviously thinks most of us are really gullible and really stupid.  One of my favorites of his many wacko comments was something to the effect that painting her nails while cruising down the highway wasn't negligent, any more than a mother being distracted by her kids in the back seat would be.  EXCUSE ME?  

Did she premeditate the demise of her victim?  Most likely not, and that is probably why the charge was negligent homicide and not first degree murder.  I am somewhat surprised that the correct verdict was reached, and was reached quickly (approximately 3 hours).  All to often these days juries give negligent people a free ride, and I'm so happy they didn't fall for the BS in this case.  Now I want to see a meaningful sentence, and not just some slap on the wrist.  This woman should serve some actual time, followed by parole probation, and should never ever be allowed the privilege of driving again for the rest of her life.

BTW, I feel exactly the same way about all the clowns riding around talking or texting, applying makeup, reading the newspaper, etc.  Driving is serious business, not a friggin' lark.

Jerry
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:36:38 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

fxr3joe

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock N Rollin'
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 02:49:52 PM »

Anita lived about 3 miles from me and this has been a big story ever since.  I have to say this Hunt womans attorney is really working the PR trying to make her out to be a saint or something. The reality is, even as outragious as this story sounds, and that she's dead to rights guilty, being a first major offense, it will be a miracle if she gets any time. Chances are, she's get a long probation and a hefty fine.  The whole thing sucks.  They should take her license away for life in addition a couple of years to think about it!

Mr Magloo,

Do you know anything about how Anitas family is holding up?  I have a cover band that is playing CC's Grove biker bar in Willow Springs IL, on Sunday August 1.  It's always well attended and I'd be willing to take up a collection if that would help.

Let me know,

Joe

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 04:41:45 PM »

Now I want to see a meaningful sentence, and not just some slap on the wrist.  This woman should serve some actual time, followed by parole, and should never ever be allowed the privilege of driving again for the rest of her life.

BTW, I feel exactly the same way about all the clowns riding around talking or texting, applying makeup, reading the newspaper, etc.  Driving is serious business, not a friggin' lark.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 04:44:59 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:    This woman's attorney is a real piece of work, and obviously thinks most of us are really gullible and really stupid.  One of my favorites of his many wacko comments was something to the effect that painting her nails while cruising down the highway wasn't negligent, any more than a mother being distracted by her kids in the back seat would be.  EXCUSE ME? 

Did she premeditate the demise of her victim?  Most likely not, and that is probably why the charge was negligent homicide and not first degree murder.  I am somewhat surprised that the correct verdict was reached, and was reached quickly (approximately 3 hours).  All to often these days juries give negligent people a free ride, and I'm so happy they didn't fall for the BS in this case.  Now I want to see a meaningful sentence, and not just some slap on the wrist.  This woman should serve some actual time, followed by parole, and should never ever be allowed the privilege of driving again for the rest of her life.

BTW, I feel exactly the same way about all the clowns riding around talking or texting, applying makeup, reading the newspaper, etc.  Driving is serious business, not a friggin' lark.

Jerry

My arguement to her attorney's crazy claim is, is it any less stupid for a bozo to be shooting guns in the air in an urban area? You know darned well, in that situation, the suspect would get staked to the cross if someone got hit and killed, so what's the difference between driving a lethal vehicle while doing a totally reckless act or doing the same with a lethal weapon, when the end result is the same. Sometimes you just want to bitch slap these frigging attorney's for even bringing up such insulting excuses.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 04:54:59 PM »

Mr Magloo,

Do you know anything about how Anitas family is holding up?  I have a cover band that is playing CC's Grove biker bar in Willow Springs IL, on Sunday August 1.  It's always well attended and I'd be willing to take up a collection if that would help.

Let me know,

Joe

Hi Joe,

Although I and a number of other local CVO Harley members went to the funeral last year, I did not know the family before hand. I believe the Son lived with the Mother, and that's about all I know. I did meet the son, and he is very dedicated to keeping distracted and reckless driving an issue, and increasing the penalties for such senseless acts.

Here's a link to the son's website:  http://www.blacknailbrigade.org/

ragtop13

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Amber/Citrus
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 05:04:47 PM »

My biggest fear is getting clobbered from behind while at a stop...followed by getting clobbered broadside be some moron going thru a red light...up here a red light means go faster to get thru the intersection so you don't have to stop.

I keep an eye in the mirror when stopped and keep one on the cross street at intersection.

"Sorry I hit you, I was being a moron" won't help my battered and/or broken body after the fact....
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering "What the hell happened!?!?"

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 06:23:43 PM »

She should do some time, to the other extreme I had a young man 19 at the time working for me, he ran a red light after having a few beers, killed to teenage boys who parents were pillars of the community.  He got to concurrent sentences of 20 to life.  Seems it depends on your attorney, your attitude and what part of the cpuntry you live in.  He is in his 8th year now.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

..Hawk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 11:03:08 PM »

I'm not convinced the States that issue Driving Licenses understand that driving is a privilege.  I believe they will give a License to anyone that can afford the cost of one.  Plus the more knuckleheads they licence the more opportunity's they have to ticket them.

I spend most of my time watching for distracted drivers for all the aforemention reasons.  

:soapbox:

Option 2 is anyone who injures another person due to reckless driving should never again be licenced to drive. Option 1 is the death penalty should be administered.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 11:09:48 PM by ..Hawk »

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 02:19:00 AM »

I posted in a different thread that I see this type of neglectful driving every time I glance in a vehicle next to me no matter where I am, I drive many miles a day and see it many times a day, it has just gone out of control to the extent that all police agencies need a special task force for this type of infraction and have a result of stiff penalties or this problem will get much worse.

Defensive driving is a must no matter what you are driving !  

Although when you are a sitting Duck you may not stand a chance !
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:06:04 AM by MAT »

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »

What we need is undercover motorcycle cops, who specifically target retarded cagers. I'm not talking about speeders or other more typical, less risky offenses.  Save those for the CHIP boys.

I'm talking about those who are truly reckless and are specific high risks to bikers. I'm sure every time we all ride, we run into a handful of assholes who get their jolly's out of tailgating, and otherwise being aggressive to bikers. Add to this, the bimbo behind you doing her make up or texting at 55 mph.  Then we have the rest of the bozo's who just don't pay attention while turning left from the right lane, etc. We see it almost nonstop.

Just on my 18 mile ride to work, I can count at least 5 people who really deserves a big upfront and personal shake up. With the kind of numbers of careless and downright aggressive cagers out there, I don't think it would be very had to cover an officers salary at least, and in fact, turn it into a self-sustaining profit center to support such a program.

Just think of the PR value of such a program. Take your chances messing with that biker - Might just be an undercover cop, and all offenses are double the costs!

HD Rider

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 11:26:27 AM »

Definitely need to consider this whole issue.  Holes and inconsistencies in the laws should be addressed by people with good, common sense.
HD Rider

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 21 queries.