Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Getting the goo off yer pipes  (Read 9301 times)

neanderpaul

• Full CVO Member
  • Green Bikes = Bad Luck? Give 'Em All To Me!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FXR3
    • Neanderpaul Dot Com
Getting the goo off yer pipes
« on: June 11, 2005, 06:12:43 PM »

So, My wife...bless her heart...is riding with me these days.

I bought her a nice set of Harley boots for her and everything.

You can see where this is going...

How does one remove boot goo from the pipes?

I got most of it, but am trying to find the best way for the future...assuming she ever gets on again.
'99 FXR3
'05 15th Ann. LE Fat Boy
'19 RAM Rebel

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Getting the goo off yer pipes
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 06:29:08 PM »

My answer to this question is:  "very carefully!"   Depending if it is melted plastic mixed in w/ polish or just rubber or what?  I usually try to take it off in layers and as I get closer to the shiny stuff, use less abrasive medium ....  ie:  Gasoline, or some other highly flamatory, evaporative chemical that won't harm the chrome.  Have used those plastic 'fast-food' knives to carefully scrape the big stuff off and then  acetone, thinner, gas, or whatever is available........be sure to finish up with a good chrome cleaner/polish.  Semi-chrome is good for any discoloration that might have jumped on there along the way........good luck!  [smiley=laugh.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 06:41:08 PM »

Easy-off oven cleaner
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 09:12:52 AM »

I end up doing this once a week on average... this works well for me... get the pipes nice and HOT, then heavily apply any decent chrome polish and work it in.  With a little patience, and re-application, it'll be gone in a few minutes.  Use a thick rag folded over, because that rag's gonna get real hot it you're doing it right.  Seems to work no matter how thick the leftover boot is.   [smiley=beerchug.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 09:17:20 AM »

DJW.......now WHO would you be riding that would leave marks on your pipes???  Am I gonna have to 'baby-sit' again?   [smiley=confused5.gif]   Har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 09:22:23 AM »

[smiley=laugh.gif] yeah Spyder, I think so!  No matter how many times I point it out, it still happens.  And I don't really know what's going on back there  [smiley=confused5.gif] It gets in places that those boots shouldn't even be able to reach!  I don't get it! [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

[smiley=beerchug.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 09:30:48 AM »

could be the ole 'milwalkee-vibes'  .......   Har!  [smiley=shocked2.gif]  spyder

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 12:34:06 PM »

Like WFP says - Oven cleaner, spray it on a very thick old rag and whipe your pipes when the pipes are very hot, usually does the trick.  Then use very very very fine, I forgot the number, steel wool to get the last of it. Then chrome polish.  
Bless your heart for being so kind and understanding. It may just be a girl thing, but I have to do this a lot ----  my own boots on my own bike - so it is kinda like what you do immediately upon arriving in the garage after a ride and it only takes a couple of seconds.  Maybe your sweetie could be taught to do this herself and then she may ------ may learn not to do it so much.  Just a thought.  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

dickie

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 12:39:32 PM »

I have tried all the secrets and the one that works the best... 0000 steel wool and aerosol brake cleaner and follow up with a good quality metal polish. works great every time!!!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 12:45:03 PM by dickie »

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 11:40:04 AM »

I avoid the polish and the abrasives like the plague on this one, guys....  The reason being is that it happens over and over, and after a few polishes, your through the chrome, and into the nickel, and then the gold colored stuff and it's all gone to hell in  a hand basket...  

I adhere to the hot pipe/oven cleaner theory, or, if it's already cooled down, I use Goo-Gone or brake cleaner and a soft rag,turned frequently, and I try not to get too anal about the last microscopic spots that would require polishing.  (The way I got around that is I grab one of the girls and say "look at my pipe there where so and so got boot stuck to it...is it clean?" ) If they say so, then voila!  it's clean! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 11:13:38 AM »

Acetone....plus it makes a lovey cocktail 8)
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 09:45:06 AM »

I swear by NEVR-DULL.  http://www.nevrdull.com/

Its sort of a cloth wadding material that works like a charm for removing shoes from chrome pipes....

Guys around here also use it for keeping the chrome on the shrimp & crab fishing boats shiny.
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 12:34:03 PM »

So, My wife...bless her heart...is riding with me these days.

I bought her a nice set of Harley boots for her and everything.

You can see where this is going...

How does one remove boot goo from the pipes?

I got most of it, but am trying to find the best way for the future...assuming she ever gets on again.

might try checking out this thread: http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=14222.msg225398#new
quick, easy, and can carry with you,  john
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

Bonehead

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Black/Orange CUSE
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 10:58:10 PM »

Definitely Never Dull. Works like a champ.... The wadding has just enough abrasive to slowly remove the boo boo without hurting the finish. I have never damaged anything using Never Dull.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 11:03:50 PM »

Hey, I'll stick my neck out again!! 0000 steel wool soaked in acetone, then soaked in polish wax works for me.

Black Label Mark

• Full CVO Member
  • 2008 SE Ultra & 2003 FXDXT
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 12:50:45 PM »

Easy Off oven cleaner.  I spray it on a rag then wipe the pipe...don't spray onto the pipe because the overspray is deadly to other finishes. I then wet down another rag with water to wipe off the oven cleaner.

screamn1

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 10:26:43 PM »

Ask the wife for some Iron Cleaner get pipes hot, Its the poop!

aushog

• 2008 Frosty
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 06:12:27 PM »

another vote for ez-off oven cleaner.

REGGAB

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 09:41:08 PM »

0000 steel wool (read:  SOS or Brillo pad)  followed by MAAS or Simichrome.

JackLINY48

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 10:57:21 PM »

A product called "Road Rub" works great.  It looks like a stick deodorant, very slight abrasive that makes no marks on the chrome.   Rub it on the pipes and the leather/plastic marks disappear.  As you rub...the stain starts to disappear, then finish with some chrome polish. I tried it after a friend recommended it....and its fabulous. Just search "Road Rub" and a few places sell it for $6.95.  IMHO, I think the results will be more than you could get with any other product.

REGGAB

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 06:07:10 AM »

A product called "Road Rub" works great.  It looks like a stick deodorant, very slight abrasive that makes no marks on the chrome.   Rub it on the pipes and the leather/plastic marks disappear.  As you rub...the stain starts to disappear, then finish with some chrome polish. I tried it after a friend recommended it....and its fabulous. Just search "Road Rub" and a few places sell it for $6.95.  IMHO, I think the results will be more than you could get with any other product.

I've heard of and seen that stuff.  I think.......memory fails occasionally........MJZ had some of that stuff when I was passing through Memphis year before last, and it did work well...........but if ya aint got it, don't know how or where to get it, and ya got goo on yer pipes..........Brillo works!

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 06:19:27 AM »

Nevr-dull and a popsicle stick
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 04:56:39 PM »

I'm tellin ya folks get this stuff called "Blue Job".  It's the schiz nits.  It's not cheap, but it works great and takes anything and everything off of chrome, including melted on micro-fiber towel, (I won't tell you how I know that), without scratching or damaging the chrome.  Great stuff!!! :2vrolijk_21:  http://www.blue-job.net/

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2008, 07:37:35 AM »

I just went through this 2 days in a row.  I melted my ski pants to my pipes.  The first time, I sprayed Plexus windshield cleaner on it, and then scraped it all off with my thumbnail.  It took a while.

The next day, as careful as I was, I did it again.  This time, I sprayed over cleaner on the hot pipes as soon as I pulled into the garage.  I let it sit until the next day.  I was amazed that most of it came off with my thumbnail in chunks in a minute or 2.  I then sprayed on the Plexus, let it sit for a minute, wiped it off, and used my thumbnail for the rest.  I had it all gone within 5 minutes this time and did not leave a mark.

The first time, with just the Plexus, I ended up leaving some very fine scratches on the chrome surface that I could see only when I put a flashlight directly on the area.  I haven't tried chrome polish yet, but hopefully it's something that will be gone after polishing.  I'm still having a hard time believing that my thumbnails could put any permanent marks in chrome, although not noticeable.

Oh yeah, don't forget to clean the oven cleaner off with a wet towel before proceeding, and make sure you have a towel behind the pipe to make sure the oven cleaner doesn't get on any other surfaces.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 07:40:09 AM by 1abastarsmda »

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2008, 07:45:14 AM »

I'm tellin ya folks get this stuff called "Blue Job".  It's the schiz nits.  It's not cheap, but it works great and takes anything and everything off of chrome, including melted on micro-fiber towel, (I won't tell you how I know that), without scratching or damaging the chrome.  Great stuff!!! :2vrolijk_21:  http://www.blue-job.net/

:devil:

Now that's interesting!  I put my vest over my seat and the nylon liner melted to my rear header.  It set up real hard and oven cleaner did nothing.  I'm SO tempted to use an abrasive but I'd rather try this 1st, then a 000 SOS.  Thanks for the tips guys!
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2008, 08:06:58 AM »

Now that's interesting!  I put my vest over my seat and the nylon liner melted to my rear header.  It set up real hard and oven cleaner did nothing.  I'm SO tempted to use an abrasive but I'd rather try this 1st, then a 000 SOS.  Thanks for the tips guys!

I'd be tempted to try a heat gun to soften it up first, then use the cleaner of your choice...Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2008, 08:15:14 AM »

goof-off paint remover. "oops" paint remover works well also.   axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2008, 10:02:39 AM »

Do not use a razor blade as some auto mechanics will recommend for chrome bumpers. The blade will scratch your pipe, as I found  out.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2008, 07:36:33 AM »

I just had a thought, call me goofy as many do, but, keep off the pipes. Stop picking up chicks at bars with cheap shoes/boots. Ski pants on the bike??. I know its cold out but leathers work better. If you lay your heel on the pipe often, get one of those rails that keep it off.
How many times have you burnt your leg on the pipe? Me, Once. thats all it took for me to know, Don't throw a naked leg over the bike, even just to move it.  :P
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2008, 03:32:15 PM »

If you scratch the chrome, it can be polished out with Glare Polish. I couldn't find my semichrome and tried it and it worked !  Doc

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2008, 07:18:07 PM »

If you scratch the chrome, it can be polished out with Glare Polish. I couldn't find my semichrome and tried it and it worked !  Doc

Wrong. This was discussed in another thread.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2008, 08:54:57 AM »

Get it hot so the nylon starts cooking again, soak a cotton, real cotton) towel in water then quick wipe it a few times, it'll get most of the melty stuff off and make the ovenr cleaners job easier.  Do not spray oven cleaner directly or be prepared for the "Hogasm". 

Spray onto a cloth pointed away from the bike.

RK1679

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2008, 07:46:24 PM »

Got the "Road Rub" today.  Works great.  Easily removed weeks old GF's boot burn from the pipes.  $4.88 plus $5.95 shipping from Classic Motoring Accessories in Tampa, FL.  Great stuff!      :2vrolijk_21:

JasonDeezy

• Ride it 'til the wheels fall off...
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Orange you glad it's a CVO?...

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 O/B
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2008, 01:33:36 PM »

EZ Off oven cleaner. I did it with the pipes COLD and let it sit for 2 hours. Then take a wet rag and wipe down. It may take 1 or 2 times but it works.
King Tour Pack
Roland Sands Design Diesel Wheels 18"/21"
Klock Werks 21" Slicer Fender
Klock Werks 8" FLARE Black Windshield
Hawg Wired DCS/SX System
Cary Faas Racing (CFR) Slipons
Fullsac X-Pipe B
8" Yaffe OEM Monkey Bars & Power Mirrors
TTS Mastertune
Dakota Digital Gauges MCL-3006-R
Carl Brouhard Floorboards (Front & Rear)
   Brake Arm, Brake Pedal
   Heel & Toes Shifter (w/pegs), Shift Arm & Linkage
Kuryakyn License Plate Frame (#9182)
Arlen Ness Deep Cut Grips
Wheeldock EZ-Up Centerstand

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2008, 12:56:33 PM »

Wrong. This was discussed in another thread.

...worked for me, nice stuff to have around.  Doc

REGGAB

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2008, 10:31:16 PM »

Still...........0000steel wool.......SOS/Brillo pad.....followed with MAAS or Simichrome.  Easy Off only if you have to.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2009, 09:49:59 PM »

I got some stuff at Wal Mart called Rowenta Iron Cleaner.  This stuff works great.  It comes with the paste, a terry cloth towel to apply it, and a finer towel to buff it clean.  Ride the bike and get the pipes hot, then apply the cleaner with the terry towel and polish with the other towel.  Took off a bunch of baked on gunk in mere seconds, and without any abrasives or having to worry about caustic oven cleaner overspray, etc.  Polished up good as new, with no steel wool or abrasives. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 10:15:17 AM by fourstar »
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 21 queries.