Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Preride spray for fairing and lowers  (Read 11079 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Preride spray for fairing and lowers
« on: August 18, 2009, 07:05:55 PM »

Does anyone spray their fairing and lowers with any product to stop bugs from sticking prior to riding? I am thinking of trying some kind of non stick cooking spray so the bugs won't be able to stick to the fairing so much. cahdbiker

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010flhxse
Re: Preride spray for fairing and lowers
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 09:35:14 PM »

Try a good leather conditioner and dont try to rub it around, just spray it on and when you get to where your going then wash. got this from a hot rodder. I tried it on a 2000 mi vacation thru Idaho, Wyoming, and Colorado, Leave the bugs on till you cant stand to look at the bike any longer . The guy sprayed it on till it was running down the side of the bike, put it on the windshield to. It was almost to good to be tru, but it worked, and didnt bother the paint at all.
TJ
TJ

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 02:17:26 AM »

Try a good leather conditioner and dont try to rub it around, just spray it on and when you get to where your going then wash. got this from a hot rodder. I tried it on a 2000 mi vacation thru Idaho, Wyoming, and Colorado, Leave the bugs on till you cant stand to look at the bike any longer . The guy sprayed it on till it was running down the side of the bike, put it on the windshield to. It was almost to good to be tru, but it worked, and didnt bother the paint at all.
TJ
Thanks for the tip I will try it on my next trip.CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 03:51:07 AM »

So let me get this straight.  We now use Pledge to shine our bikes, oven cleaner to clean the exhaust, Draino to clean the inside of the ends of the mufflers, and now I need to keep a can of Pam in the garage to spray the front of my bike before riding.  Hmmm!  Has anyone tried Maxi-Pads to clean their spokes or hair conditioner to dress the sides of their tires?

Sorry, I just had to toss this out there.  It's getting more and more difficult to explain the things in my garage to my neighbors.

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 09:03:57 AM »

Don't forget the glass cleaner for the chrome. Maybe the maxi pad dry the bike with.
 :D   
TJ

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 09:15:58 AM »

we have tampons in the A/C
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 11:05:07 AM »

Just make sure to finish your trips with a 20 minute ride through a rain storm.  The water will dissolve the bugs and rinse them right off.  One downside is it tends to fill all the nooks and crannies with dirty water, but who said life is fair?

BTW, the Pam thing works pretty good on the underside of your lawnmower too.  So if someone questions that can of Pam, just tell them it's for the lawnmower.  ::)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 11:40:05 AM »

So let me get this straight.  We now use Pledge to shine our bikes, oven cleaner to clean the exhaust, Draino to clean the inside of the ends of the mufflers, and now I need to keep a can of Pam in the garage to spray the front of my bike before riding.  Hmmm!  Has anyone tried Maxi-Pads to clean their spokes or hair conditioner to dress the sides of their tires?

Sorry, I just had to toss this out there.  It's getting more and more difficult to explain the things in my garage to my neighbors.

Thats funny!

I will tell you I trick I just learned about.  Soak a towel with water lay it on the bugs/windshield/fairing and leave it for 30 minutes come back pull it off.  Hit it with a little quick detailer and you are on your way.  I have only tried this once but it worked really good.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 11:47:02 AM »

Thats funny!

I will tell you I trick I just learned about.  Soak a towel with water lay it on the bugs/windshield/fairing and leave it for 30 minutes come back pull it off.  Hit it with a little quick detailer and you are on your way.  I have only tried this once but it worked really good.

Nice old trick that one.  I've trashed a lot of hotel towels over the years in the early AM before heading out to start out if not clean at least not caked with the prior day's bugs.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 07:58:17 PM »

Thats funny!

Just wet a towel and keep it in a plastic bag in your saddlebag.  You don't need to leave it on the bugs for 1/2 an hour.  If it's wet enough, they'll wipe right off in a minute.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 09:57:27 AM »

Don't forget the glass cleaner for the chrome. Maybe the maxi pad dry the bike with.
 :D   

It's for the head gasket leaks.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 07:03:38 AM »

Just wet a towel and keep it in a plastic bag in your saddlebag.  You don't need to leave it on the bugs for 1/2 an hour.  If it's wet enough, they'll wipe right off in a minute.
ya, and when you get home, open the bag, whew, talk about stink

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 12:06:46 AM »

Getting the bugs off the front of your bike is actually pretty easy. Just take a towel and saturate with steaming hot water from the faucet. Wring most of the water out. Lay the towel across the area covered with bugs. Go crack a beer. Enjoy for a few minutes. When you come back, just wipe the area with the wet towel.

Wring out towel. Saturate again with hot faucet water. Lay hot wet towel over new area that needs to be cleaned. Go back to beer. Enjoy. Return to towel and wipe dirty area with towel. Continue till all areas are clean. Front of bike will be spotless in 15 minutes and no chemicals used on the bike.

Fiestabill

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • DE

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 09:16:07 AM »

I have been using "Ivory" dish washing liquid diluted and sprayed on before washing. Works better than HD`s bug remover and it is cheap.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 02:07:02 PM »

I have been using "Ivory" dish washing liquid diluted and sprayed on before washing. Works better than HD`s bug remover and it is cheap.

Dish washing liquid, from my understanding, is a taboo item.  I used to use it to wash my car, and then I was shown what I did to my paint surface.  Never again.  Car wash soap is apparently made for cars and dish washing soap for dishes, and not really interchangeable.  It really did destroy my paint surface over about a year.

Fiestabill

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • DE

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 05:30:56 PM »

Used it for over 4 years, Paint hasn`t fallen off yet. Make sure its IVORY. :-)

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 07:40:50 PM »

I use Dawn after I Clay Bar, removes all of the waxes. then build back up

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 07:56:07 PM »

I totally agree with the hot towel-drink a beer-wipe off technique.  The only thing I'd add is the good Glare polish before you start the ride and the bugs come off much easier.  Just don't get lazy and leave 'em on there any longer than possible.  They'll etch your clear coat if left on and much harder to remove once they start the 'bonding' process with the paint.  But, what a great way to kill those West Nile Infected mosquitos......with a CVO!  :drink:  har~  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

treeman

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 09:38:36 PM »

I learned about 'PLEXUS' from Diamond Shield (who applied a clear protective materiel to the front of my Motorhome) It stops some bugs from etching into the surface! and they definately come off easier and it repells dust ( anyway some forms of dust!)
 I since noticed some folks detailing their bikes, besides cleaning plexaglass with same.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 08:02:02 AM »

Leave them on there, or they come back.  >:(
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 08:41:40 AM »

That bike needs a wire brush a holt of it!
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 03:24:46 PM »

My 2003 softail has numerous paint chips on the tank.  I worry my fairing and bags on the FLHXSE will take a beating.  Has anyone found any aftermarket protective type of clear coat which proves to be strong against chips?  Thanks.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 04:03:20 PM »

Wut'd you do? Invite them to attack you?
"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 06:04:55 PM »

My 2003 softail has numerous paint chips on the tank.  I worry my fairing and bags on the FLHXSE will take a beating.  Has anyone found any aftermarket protective type of clear coat which proves to be strong against chips?  Thanks.

You could put that 3M Protective Clear Film  http://www.protectivefilmsolutions.biz/3M_paint_protection_film.htm, but I would think that would be quite difficult to put on the fairing with so many curves in it.  I think several people have used it on the saddlebags.  You can buy a bra for the fairing, but then you can't see the paint.

My take on it is that it's a simple fact that chips will happen.  If you do everything you can to prevent them, you might as well have purchased a bike with primer and no paint, since noone will be able to see the nice paint job you have.  On the flip side, when you go to sell it, there will be a lucky buyer out there that gets a really clean bike, although you probably won't get much more than one that's been unprotected, but kept clean and waxed regularly.

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 06:21:07 PM »

I just had my bike done. Package, fairing front fender, front and top of bags, front of side cover, and I had them do the back 3 in of the gas tank. Looks good, polishes right up. 500.00
Tj
TJ

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 06:25:25 PM »

I just had my bike done. Package, fairing front fender, front and top of bags, front of side cover, and I had them do the back 3 in of the gas tank. Looks good, polishes right up. 500.00
Tj

You had your bike done with what?  I'm guessing you are talking about the 3M Protective Clear Film, but you didn't say.  If so, where did you get it done?

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 09:31:36 PM »

You had your bike done with what?  I'm guessing you are talking about the 3M Protective Clear Film, but you didn't say.  If so, where did you get it done?
Yes,
3m
The outfit it called Chiprotect. The dealers here in the great NW offer this as an option when you buy a bike. I am sure you can get it done on any bike though. http://www.chiprotect.com/ I think its a good deal. It looks good. Best of all you don't have to cover the bag lids with leather, which usually scratches the pain anyway,in my experience.
TJ
TJ

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009, 09:37:53 PM »

Yes,
3m
The outfit it called Chiprotect. The dealers here in the great NW offer this as an option when you buy a bike. I am sure you can get it done on any bike though. http://www.chiprotect.com/ I think its a good deal. It looks good. Best of all you don't have to cover the bag lids with leather, which usually scratches the pain anyway,in my experience.
TJ
I know it's good protection, but it's kinda like putting seat covers on fine Corinthian leather seats.  These custom paint jobs are too pretty to mask.  JMHO.  har.  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Wanna ride

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 11:38:11 PM »

Dish soap is not good for paint, it removes wax. And WD-40 is great for removing bug juice, without hurting the paint.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 11:40:01 PM by Wanna ride »

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2009, 02:21:17 PM »

I use the wet towel trick a lot on trips.Just make sure to shower first or use your roommates towel.(unless you're traveling with your wife)
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2009, 02:38:56 PM »

I use the wet towel trick a lot on trips.Just make sure to shower first or use your roommates towel.(unless you're traveling with your wife)
:D Yep, all good advice.  har!   :drink: spyder

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2009, 05:58:44 PM »

Hmmm, the old world must be somehow different.

When we go for an extended ride, we are dirty in the evening - allready after the first hour on the open road actually -, our boots and leathers are dirty and the bikes of course are dirty. Bugs, pollution, road grime, you name it.

Riders take a shower before dinner, but the next morning they put on the dirty boots and leathers again and ride the dirty bikes. What else? I will not clean a bike for two hours only to have it dirty again within 5 Minutes on the open road (except windshields of course).

Bikes and boots and leathers and the lot will be thoroughly cleaned when back home. Not earlier (except windshields of course). With lots of warm water, leather-soap and HD-sun-wash. After drying Ballistol will be applied generously on leathers, metallic and painted surfaces. Ready to go again or for storage  ;)

For windshields wich I do clean under way I use the soaked towel as decribed above in the morning and I keep a moist microfibre in a plastic bag (yes, it smells wonderfully indeed after the first day ;D) for the short cleaning under way (the more bugs are already in the microfibre the better it removes them ;) - but for use only on windshields as this definitely does cause scratches on paint of course).

One of our friends had his new bike "nano-cared" for some 300 Euro. At first he was just freaky about this - but after some month he found out it wasn't worth the money and he never had it reapplied.

It takes two hours/two people to seriously clean a touring-bike, two hours to dry and one hour to conserve it. That's a lot of time I do not invest when on tour. And I dislike jobs done only halfways  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2009, 06:07:37 PM »

Hmmm, the old world must be somehow different.

When we go for an extended ride, we are dirty in the evening - allready after the first hour on the open road actually -, our boots and leathers are dirty and the bikes of course are dirty. Bugs, pollution, road grime, you name it.

Riders take a shower before dinner, but the next morning they put on the dirty boots and leathers again and ride the dirty bikes. What else? I will not clean a bike for two hours only to have it dirty again within 5 Minutes on the open road (except windshields of course).

Bikes and boots and leathers and the lot will be thoroughly cleaned when back home. Not earlier (except windshields of course). With lots of warm water, leather-soap and HD-sun-wash. After drying Ballistol will be applied generously on leathers, metallic and painted surfaces. Ready to go again or for storage  ;)

For windshields wich I do clean under way I use the soaked towel as decribed above in the morning and I keep a moist microfibre in a plastic bag (yes, it smells wonderfully indeed after the first day ;D) for the short cleaning under way (the more bugs are already in the microfibre the better it removes them ;) - but for use only on windshields as this definitely does cause scratches on paint of course).

One of our friends had his new bike "nano-cared" for some 300 Euro. At first he was just freaky about this - but after some month he found out it wasn't worth the money and he never had it reapplied.

It takes two hours/two people to seriously clean a touring-bike, two hours to dry and one hour to conserve it. That's a lot of time I do not invest when on tour. And I dislike jobs done only halfways  ;)

There is a lot of truth to this.

But if I have the opportunity to wash in the evening on a trip and the Materials to do so.....I will.
Otherwise I wait.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2009, 08:22:17 PM »

I don't clean my bike very often on a trip except for the windshield & fairing.As stated by someone else dried bugs will etch the paint.Also if you collect a honey bee or 6 you'll attract  live bees every time you stop.That's why I soak the critters off every couple nights.
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2010, 09:46:49 AM »

I have used CEE Baileys aircraft windshield cleaner and polish on my fairing, front fender and lowers, seems to keep the bugs from sticky and gives a high luster.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2010, 06:16:58 PM »

For windshields wich I do clean under way I use the soaked towel as decribed above in the morning and I keep a moist microfibre in a plastic bag (yes, it smells wonderfully indeed after the first day ) for the short cleaning under way (the more bugs are already in the microfibre the better it removes them  - but for use only on windshields as this definitely does cause scratches on paint of course).(quote)
Thats what i do it works
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2010, 11:25:33 PM »

I carry a bottle of Eagle One Wipe & Shine detailer in a Ziploc.  End of day spray down the front end  real good.  Stand around and shoot the chit with the buds for 5-10 minutes.  Spray some more on a micro fiber rag and off they come. Works so good the others I ride with are starting to do the same thing.  Plus the Eagle One is good for wiping down the chrome as it does not streak,  works great on the windshield also.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:28:19 PM by dmnrdn »

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE RED STREET GLIDE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE SPICED RUM
    • CVO3: 2007 FLHRSE3 RAZOR RED
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2010, 11:58:52 PM »

Getting the bugs off the front of your bike is actually pretty easy. Just take a towel and saturate with steaming hot water from the faucet. Wring most of the water out. Lay the towel across the area covered with bugs. Go crack a beer. Enjoy for a few minutes. When you come back, just wipe the area with the wet towel.

Wring out towel. Saturate again with hot faucet water. Lay hot wet towel over new area that needs to be cleaned. Go back to beer. Enjoy. Return to towel and wipe dirty area with towel. Continue till all areas are clean. Front of bike will be spotless in 15 minutes and no chemicals used on the bike.
How about using a small washrag, that way I get to drink more beers. :huepfenjump3:

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2010, 04:21:59 AM »

Any of you guys heard of MER . dilute with water spray on leave it on for weeks if you want to just washes right off ,used on caravans rv`s whatever  even add a lttle to you final rinse & buff off when its dry. Polish on in usual way
buffs off good even in sunlight no hurry.go for lunch & finish when you return.
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 21 queries.