Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Helmets, Helmets, Helmets???  (Read 6370 times)

Hondo2doc

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
Helmets, Helmets, Helmets???
« on: August 27, 2018, 05:24:06 PM »

Ok so I have been on the search for the perfect helmet for seems like forever. I can’t believe in 2018 not one helmet manufacturer makes say a 3/4 helmet with a retractable full face shield. I have searched every where for said beast and no luck. Yes, I’m sure it would take some creative design. I’m surprised there isn’t a demand for this type of helmet that you can cover up on the fly.

Additionally in doing lots of research it looks like the DOT helmet rating might not mean squat. Outdated standard with no oversight. Where as Snell or the ECE rating is far superior, from what I read. I really don’t have any first hand facts. From some study I read something about motorcyclists leading with their face in crashes. But again I really don’t know the validity of that.

Now full face helmets. I’m considering one. Only from a safest helmet point of view. They seem to offer the best protection. I have never worn one, not even tried one on. They appear to be large and bulky. Additionally I live in south Florida, that’s the 80 degrees at 6 AM in the summer South Florida. So full face looks hot from the outside.
I don’t see a lot of Harley riders with full face. Seems like most sport bike riders only wear a full face. I have read that even high end full face helmets with great ventilation doesn’t work that well behind a fairing and windshield.

I currently wear a Nexx helmet and I like it. The external face shield really hugs the helmet so up to about say 60 I can ride comfortably with it up. After 60 gotta drop it to avoid the wind smacking me around.

So does anyone know of any company that makes a retractable full face shield? And I would greatly appreciate hearing from any one that has made the half or 3/4 transition to full face. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Helmets, Helmets, Helmets???
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 06:36:11 PM »

Always wore full face, since my first Bell Star in 1972. Bought a new Shoei 3/4 when I started riding in central Florida in '99 due to the heat, but soon figured out it was not any cooler than a full face modular with shield open and a whole lot less safe. I went down on my face a long time ago, still remember it, had it not been for old full face helmet I would have been a mess, actually wore the helmet chin bar thru while sliding down the road.
Currently we wear Shoei Modular with the integral sun shield  and pinlok anti-fog insert and wouldn't consider anything else. Also I ride a bike with fairing/windshield and I see no problem with a full face behind the fairing. And when it starts to rain, I can ride on, no problem

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 06:50:32 PM »

Ok so I have been on the search for the perfect helmet for seems like forever. I can’t believe in 2018 not one helmet manufacturer makes say a 3/4 helmet with a retractable full face shield. I have searched every where for said beast and no luck. Yes, I’m sure it would take some creative design. I’m surprised there isn’t a demand for this type of helmet that you can cover up on the fly.

Additionally in doing lots of research it looks like the DOT helmet rating might not mean squat. Outdated standard with no oversight. Where as Snell or the ECE rating is far superior, from what I read. I really don’t have any first hand facts. From some study I read something about motorcyclists leading with their face in crashes. But again I really don’t know the validity of that.

Now full face helmets. I’m considering one. Only from a safest helmet point of view. They seem to offer the best protection. I have never worn one, not even tried one on. They appear to be large and bulky. Additionally I live in south Florida, that’s the 80 degrees at 6 AM in the summer South Florida. So full face looks hot from the outside.
I don’t see a lot of Harley riders with full face. Seems like most sport bike riders only wear a full face. I have read that even high end full face helmets with great ventilation doesn’t work that well behind a fairing and windshield.

I currently wear a Nexx helmet and I like it. The external face shield really hugs the helmet so up to about say 60 I can ride comfortably with it up. After 60 gotta drop it to avoid the wind smacking me around.

So does anyone know of any company that makes a retractable full face shield? And I would greatly appreciate hearing from any one that has made the half or 3/4 transition to full face. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you looked at the Nolan N44?    It's a 3/4 helmet with a removable chin bar.

Factory web site....   http://www.nolan-usa.com/products/n44e-solids.html

And a YouTube video from RevZilla....

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 11:39:16 PM »

Check out the Shark Evoline 3, "the ball and chain" and I love them...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

GKroadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: CVO Road King 2014 (FLHRSE6) sold
    • CVO2: CVO Street Glide 2021 (FLHXSE)
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 04:02:53 AM »

I did go with the French Roof Boxxer V8 since 5 years now and upgrade soon to its new Boxxer Carbon.

Like the functionality/usability as of a Jet-Helmet and Full-Face  8)

CVO Street Glide 2021
FLHXSE
Sunset Orange & Sunset Black Fade
Jekill & Hyde Exhaust
http://jekillandhyde.com/en_US/our-technique
131cui

bigC

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE gone
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHXSE sold
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 11:12:44 AM »

x2 on the Nolan N44. I ride with a N44 helmet now and it's my favorite helmet of all time. I normally just use the chin bar on the interstate or when it gets cold out, and only put the shield on when raining. I like the way the chin bar/shield is angled down. That downward angle helps keep rain out of your neck area of your rain suit. I have replaced the liner once. My current helmet is a few years old. When I replace it, I plan on getting another N44. The newest version is the N44E.
Maggie Valley 2016     MITM ES 2017   WV GTG 2018 
Maggie valley 2017     MITM ES 2018   WV GTG 2021
Maggie Valley 2018     MITM ES 2019   OH GTG 2022
Maggie Valley 2019
Maggie Valley 2022
Maggie Valley 2023

TraumaSlave

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 08:33:04 PM »

I am an HJC fan. I like a little more room between my face and the chin/shield. I really like my modular.
http://www.hjchelmets.com/modular/#.W4svDikpA0M
A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer.

old_bikes

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 09:05:44 AM »

Check out the LS2 Valiant.  The chin bar goes all the way back like the Shark or Boxer.  It's been comfortable for me on long rides.  I typically ride with it open but like that I can drop the chin bar and visor if there is rain or I get tired of killing bugs with my face.  I had to modify the foam inner liner to fit Sena speakers, but got it to work.  It has the jet fighter shade, and is not too noisy.

https://www.ls2helmets.us/modular/valiant

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 10:16:41 AM »

If you're looking for a 3/4 helmet with a face shield that retracts all the way INSIDE the helmet, like a fighter pilot sun visor, the answer is no. All the motorcycle approved helmets that I know of that have full face visors all "flip up" and do not retract in.

I was using the Arai XJC, 3/4 with flip up shield till I grew out of it (loss weight). Now I am back to just a regular Arai 3/4 with a snap on visor for the sun, and a snap on bubble for rain. At night I use goggles with the straps over the helmet.

I think design and weight are what limit motorcycle helmet manufacturers from making a full face shield that retracts all the way inside the helmet.

But I could be wrong.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 07:08:35 PM »

Shoei neotec II   modular.. Can ride with open so it's like a 3/4 and a full face.  Quiet when closed up. Only used a year so far but much better than the Bell revolver it replaced
Will

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 10:56:15 PM »

For the nolan 44, any preferred vendor?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

lyn.husen

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 07:12:36 AM »

Check out the Schuberth M1 helmet, the shield is removable which turns it into a 3/4 and it still has the short aviator half shield that drops down. I have been wearing one for a couple years now. Keep the removable shield in the saddlebag in case I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigC

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE gone
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHXSE sold
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 07:39:15 AM »

For the nolan 44, any preferred vendor?

Nolan has discountiuned the N44. So if you can find one, it might be marked down. The N44 is being replaced by the new N70-GT. You can preorder the new helmet from Nolan or also at Revzilla, haven't tried anywhere else yet. Both sites are showing it at $329.00, which is about $60.00 cheaper than the N44. I have been talking to Nolan about this helmet and was told the new helmet should be shipping in early April.

Maggie Valley 2016     MITM ES 2017   WV GTG 2018 
Maggie valley 2017     MITM ES 2018   WV GTG 2021
Maggie Valley 2018     MITM ES 2019   OH GTG 2022
Maggie Valley 2019
Maggie Valley 2022
Maggie Valley 2023

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 05:07:58 PM »

Try the Helmet Shop in Daytona Beach. I have bought all mine from them for the last 20 years. Never been asked to pay retail. Went in last week and bought new cheek pads for my Shoei that is almost 4 years old and they were able to get them and ship to my home in 3 days. Good guys, also do a big online/internet/Amazon business.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 05:42:44 PM »

Try the Helmet Shop in Daytona Beach. I have bought all mine from them for the last 20 years. Never been asked to pay retail. Went in last week and bought new cheek pads for my Shoei that is almost 4 years old and they were able to get them and ship to my home in 3 days. Good guys, also do a big online/internet/Amazon business.

X2 for Helmet Shop in Daytona.  Have done business with them for years - helpful, reliable, good discounts.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 25 queries.