Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weight Tape Removal  (Read 2228 times)

REGGAB

Weight Tape Removal
« on: June 01, 2007, 07:37:52 AM »

Anyone figured a way to get the weight tape residue off your wheels when you get a new tire?  I used Windex and my fingernails.................now my fingers are sore..........from that as well as all this typing.  Seriously, is it safe to use something more caustic to melt that crap off?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Weight Tape Removal
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 08:17:30 AM »

Anyone figured a way to get the weight tape residue off your wheels when you get a new tire?  I used Windex and my fingernails.................now my fingers are sore..........from that as well as all this typing.  Seriously, is it safe to use something more caustic to melt that crap off?
REGGAB,

Try WD40; that will usually remove most residues.  If for some reason it doesn't, acetone (nail polish remover) or something like Goo-Gone will definitely do the trick. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

REGGAB

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 09:11:23 AM »

REGGAB,

Try WD40; that will usually remove most residues.  If for some reason it doesn't, acetone (nail polish remover) or something like Goo-Gone will definitely do the trick. 

Jerry

Thanks Jerry.  I suppose if I do that I need to be careful not to get any WD40/acetone/Goo-Gone on the tire.......for less obvious reasons than compromising traction.  My concern is degradation of the new rubber with chemicals.  Then again, probably just me being the constant worrier that I am.

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 09:43:26 PM »

Why didn't the shop who took them off clean them?? That was part of there job.
Goo Gone will not hurt your tires, did you ever just think of how tough a tire is? And all the stuff it runs over/thru in its life? GooGone works on your hands. Tire should survive.

REGGAB

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 10:15:14 PM »

Why didn't the shop who took them off clean them?? That was part of there job.
Goo Gone will not hurt your tires, did you ever just think of how tough a tire is? And all the stuff it runs over/thru in its life? GooGone works on your hands. Tire should survive.

Hey DW (no pun intended in reference to the NASCAR great), pardon me if I sound like a smart a$$, but hey, I am, and you asked, so here goes:  To answer your first question, I have no idea.  My bad.  I should have checked and I didn't.  I was in a hurry to get back on the road and up to DC for Rolling Thunder, but that is absolutely no excuse for my failure to be responsible enough to check and make sure they completed the job.  To answer your second question, no, not really.  Never occured to me.  To answer your third question, no, not really.  Never occured to me.  As for the GooGone stuff, Dude, I don't even know what that stuff is, but now I do, and now I know, so I've banked that knowledge for the next time I have my cranial cavity in rectal defilade and forget to make sure the shop removes the residue.  That way I can run out to Wally World, pick up a can/tube/jar/whatever vessel it comes in and go to work without wearing out my fingernails.  But it is all moot at this point as I've worn out my fingernails and accomplished the mission!! :2vrolijk_21:  Oh, hey, do you know anything about what WD40 and acetone does to tires?  If you do, please enlighten me, so I can bank that knowledge as well.  Thanks Bro!

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 24 queries.