Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Road Stripe Paint..............  (Read 6476 times)

REGGAB

Road Stripe Paint..............
« on: June 16, 2007, 11:39:18 PM »

mist is on my fairing, windshield, and likely on my lowers and forks.  Road crew was painting lines at exit 298 off I-70 when I was on my way back to the hotel in Manhattan, KS Thursday night after getting a new back tire.  I was in the opposite lane.  I have no idea how it got on there.  There isn't much, but I can see a "speck" here and there.  Shawn (Scooterhair) and Cary (Hobo) saw it too.  Gonna wash her down REAL GOOD in the morning and look at her hard.  So, how do I get that chit off my scooter?  Glare Micro followed by Spider, followed by a new rubbed in coat of Pro polish?  HELP!!!!!!! :verfsmile: :bigcry: :stars: :sauer005: :sauer005: :sauer005:  This will drive me insane!!! :veryangry2: :sweatdrop: :furious2: :idea3: :knife:  :wall: :bomb: :veryangry:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Road Stripe Paint..............
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 12:57:17 AM »

mist is on my fairing, windshield, and likely on my lowers and forks.  Road crew was painting lines at exit 298 off I-70 when I was on my way back to the hotel in Manhattan, KS Thursday night after getting a new back tire.  I was in the opposite lane.  I have no idea how it got on there.  There isn't much, but I can see a "speck" here and there.  Shawn (Scooterhair) and Cary (Hobo) saw it too.  Gonna wash her down REAL GOOD in the morning and look at her hard.  So, how do I get that chit off my scooter?  Glare Micro followed by Spider, followed by a new rubbed in coat of Pro polish?  HELP!!!!!!! :verfsmile: :bigcry: :stars: :sauer005: :sauer005: :sauer005:  This will drive me insane!!! :veryangry2: :sweatdrop: :furious2: :idea3: :knife:  :wall: :bomb: :veryangry:

I've used kerosene on rag to get it or road tar off painted surfaces.  It is some stout paint.

joez28ss

• Senior CVO Member
  • BOXERS RULE!!!!!!

• CVO1: FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Gray
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 10:08:13 AM »

REGGAB

I run a road stripe crew and i hate to say it  but that paint is their to stay.

:bananarock: :bananarock:
   joez28ss
LIFE SHOULD BE LIVED SO THAT WHEN WE DIE WE WILL BE MISSED.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 12:06:05 PM »

REGGAB

joez28ss
In that case, REGGAB, after trying the glare/spider/etc. that you mentioned w/ some relatively non-abrasive clay/grit, and with no success; I'd take it to my friendly professional paint shop and have them wet sand the stuff off and repolish the clear and be done w/ it.  The longer it stays on there the better the bond, not to mention the more aggrevated you're gonna get.  Good luck and let us hear how it goes.   :2vrolijk_21:har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

REGGAB

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 03:56:01 PM »

REGGAB

joez28ss

Well, doggone it.............I'm hosed then.  It's been on there since Thursday.  I know it is there.  It looks like...............well.....................a couple specks about the size of a pin point every two inches or so.  Still there.  CHIT!

REGGAB

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 03:59:22 PM »

In that case, REGGAB, after trying the glare/spider/etc. that you mentioned w/ some relatively non-abrasive clay/grit, and with no success; I'd take it to my friendly professional paint shop and have them wet sand the stuff off and repolish the clear and be done w/ it.  The longer it stays on there the better the bond, not to mention the more aggrevated you're gonna get.  Good luck and let us hear how it goes.   :2vrolijk_21:har!  spyder

See post above.  Been on there for four days.  Didn't budge this AM, and I don't want to make it any worse than it already is.  Now, if and when I get to Hot Springs, everyone will be eyeballing my fairing looking for it..............and likely call me a picky little chit and say it aint that bad.  Well........in passing, you won't see it.  Get within a foot of it, and its there.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 04:24:54 PM »

See post above.  Been on there for four days.  Didn't budge this AM, and I don't want to make it any worse than it already is.  Now, if and when I get to Hot Springs, everyone will be eyeballing my fairing looking for it..............and likely call me a picky little chit and say it aint that bad.  Well........in passing, you won't see it.  Get within a foot of it, and its there.
well, at least you won't just worry about the rock chips on the fairing as much now. I came real close to spending the $$$$ for another outer fairing due to one humongous rock chip just below the windscreen.  But, I may just wait for a few more and make the transition to 'rat-bike' status.   :-\ aaaarrgh.  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

REGGAB

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 06:12:32 PM »

Hey.............now there's an idea!  RATBIKE CVO!  Not!   ;D  Once it bothers me long enough i'll either plunk down the bucks for a new fairing, or get the whole damn thing repainted.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 06:55:17 PM »

Henry, have you tried tar remover?  I got some of this chit on a new car a few years ago.  Tar remover and a LOT of elbow grease did get it off.  Good luck.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

REGGAB

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 10:18:33 PM »

Henry, have you tried tar remover?  I got some of this chit on a new car a few years ago.  Tar remover and a LOT of elbow grease did get it off.  Good luck.

Nope!  Haven't tried that.  It's the LOT of elbow grease that worries me.............not that I'm incapable............it is what the surface will look like afterward...........you know:  dull, different from the rest of the fairing and bike.  BTW, didn't find any on the lowers or fork lowers.  I didn't really get after it too hard this morning.  I may just take it to an expert.  This whole paint thing with these fuggin' 06 bikes has become an even BIGGER PITA.  But now I'm  :beatdeadhorse:

REGGAB

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 11:50:16 PM »

Yep, the stuff aint comin' off.  It is on there GOOD!  Still shiney and pretty, but when I put a bright light on it, the mist clearly shows.  Oh well!  Chit happens!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 12:04:50 AM »

Yep, the stuff aint comin' off.  It is on there GOOD!  Still shiney and pretty, but when I put a bright light on it, the mist clearly shows.  Oh well!  Chit happens!

You try peanut butter and Wesson oil?

REGGAB

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 12:06:32 AM »

Uh............No!  You ARE kidding, right Don?  :nixweiss:

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 12:07:25 AM »

2lane,

His bike got the paint, not his wife/GF!    :bananarock:

Mark

REGGAB

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 12:11:49 AM »

2lane,

His bike got the paint, not his wife/GF!    :bananarock:

Mark

:ROFLOL:  Now that is some funny chit right there.  Damn I'm SLOW!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 12:12:00 AM »

Uh............No!  You ARE kidding, right Don?  :nixweiss:

Yes, definitely kidding.  Once some many moons ago I overheard a caring and compassionate DI in almost whispered tones tell his bleacher full of new troops that peanut butter and Wesson oil was the "secret" to perfectly polishing their new boots.  God help them all when they fell out the next morning  ??? .

REGGAB

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 12:13:48 AM »

Bike is facing the garage door, so the morning sun will make it show.  I'll try to get a picture and post in the morning.  My fear is I'm not going to be able to look past this and get over it.  Fugging road crews.  ;D

REGGAB

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 12:28:09 AM »

Yes, definitely kidding.  Once some many moons ago I overheard a caring and compassionate DI in almost whispered tones tell his bleacher full of new troops that peanut butter and Wesson oil was the "secret" to perfectly polishing their new boots.  God help them all when they fell out the next morning  ??? .

Yeah, I'd think so...........that sounded like one of those Foxfire cure alls, like wrapping a strip od raw bacon around a bee sting.  You know, the bottom line is, these are damn beautiful bikes, and for most of us here, they spend more time on the highway than they do in the garage.  Definitely true in my case, as well as your's, Don.  Terry rides his bike everywhre.  Most of us do.  Chit happens.  They get scratched.  Someone mentioned rock chips earlier.  Sooner or later they get boogered up, no matter how careful we are.  It is the nature of the beast.............of course you know I'm trying to rationalize my way into just accepting this misfortune as a product of hard riding.  My 02 Ultra had more scratches, dings, scuffs, wear marks, pitting and all sorts of vile crap; but she was still a beautiful scooter to me.  After the way my Melon performed on my 2200 mile round trip to Kansas, I love her just the same if not more.  The mist is a road souvenier from the trip.  Great scooter, but chit IS going to happen.............and I'm certain we all have our own blemishes on our scooters about which we fret at first, then somewhere along the way, we just say fug it.  She's still beautiful and runs awesome, so I love her just the same.  Good Girl!

Speaking of Good Girls, I gotta hop on Renea's computer an see if I can find that picture of her when I duct taped her to the tattoo artist's chair when she got her lower back tattoo.  Scooterhair was rolling over that story.  Oops..........straying off topic.  Mist or not, she is is still a pretty bike.

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 12:44:04 AM »

I'm beginning to think Roger's film solution would be the best preventative -- I'm gonna check his bike out in Nelson to see how it looks in person.

Mark

REGGAB

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 12:49:36 AM »

I'm beginning to think Roger's film solution would be the best preventative -- I'm gonna check his bike out in Nelson to see how it looks in person.

Mark

Probablt not a bad idea............sorta like a NASCAR tear away.  I've seem that tried in another venue and it didn't work so well, so use caution.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 24 queries.