Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Preride spray for fairing and lowers  (Read 11087 times)

Fiestabill

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • DE

Re: Preride spray for fairing and lowers
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 05:30:56 PM »

Used it for over 4 years, Paint hasn`t fallen off yet. Make sure its IVORY. :-)

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 07:40:50 PM »

I use Dawn after I Clay Bar, removes all of the waxes. then build back up
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 07:56:07 PM »

I totally agree with the hot towel-drink a beer-wipe off technique.  The only thing I'd add is the good Glare polish before you start the ride and the bugs come off much easier.  Just don't get lazy and leave 'em on there any longer than possible.  They'll etch your clear coat if left on and much harder to remove once they start the 'bonding' process with the paint.  But, what a great way to kill those West Nile Infected mosquitos......with a CVO!  :drink:  har~  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

treeman

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 09:38:36 PM »

I learned about 'PLEXUS' from Diamond Shield (who applied a clear protective materiel to the front of my Motorhome) It stops some bugs from etching into the surface! and they definately come off easier and it repells dust ( anyway some forms of dust!)
 I since noticed some folks detailing their bikes, besides cleaning plexaglass with same.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 08:02:02 AM »

Leave them on there, or they come back.  >:(
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 08:41:40 AM »

That bike needs a wire brush a holt of it!
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 03:24:46 PM »

My 2003 softail has numerous paint chips on the tank.  I worry my fairing and bags on the FLHXSE will take a beating.  Has anyone found any aftermarket protective type of clear coat which proves to be strong against chips?  Thanks.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 04:03:20 PM »

Wut'd you do? Invite them to attack you?
"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 06:04:55 PM »

My 2003 softail has numerous paint chips on the tank.  I worry my fairing and bags on the FLHXSE will take a beating.  Has anyone found any aftermarket protective type of clear coat which proves to be strong against chips?  Thanks.

You could put that 3M Protective Clear Film  http://www.protectivefilmsolutions.biz/3M_paint_protection_film.htm, but I would think that would be quite difficult to put on the fairing with so many curves in it.  I think several people have used it on the saddlebags.  You can buy a bra for the fairing, but then you can't see the paint.

My take on it is that it's a simple fact that chips will happen.  If you do everything you can to prevent them, you might as well have purchased a bike with primer and no paint, since noone will be able to see the nice paint job you have.  On the flip side, when you go to sell it, there will be a lucky buyer out there that gets a really clean bike, although you probably won't get much more than one that's been unprotected, but kept clean and waxed regularly.

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010flhxse
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 06:21:07 PM »

I just had my bike done. Package, fairing front fender, front and top of bags, front of side cover, and I had them do the back 3 in of the gas tank. Looks good, polishes right up. 500.00
Tj
TJ

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 06:25:25 PM »

I just had my bike done. Package, fairing front fender, front and top of bags, front of side cover, and I had them do the back 3 in of the gas tank. Looks good, polishes right up. 500.00
Tj

You had your bike done with what?  I'm guessing you are talking about the 3M Protective Clear Film, but you didn't say.  If so, where did you get it done?

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010flhxse
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 09:31:36 PM »

You had your bike done with what?  I'm guessing you are talking about the 3M Protective Clear Film, but you didn't say.  If so, where did you get it done?
Yes,
3m
The outfit it called Chiprotect. The dealers here in the great NW offer this as an option when you buy a bike. I am sure you can get it done on any bike though. http://www.chiprotect.com/ I think its a good deal. It looks good. Best of all you don't have to cover the bag lids with leather, which usually scratches the pain anyway,in my experience.
TJ
TJ

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009, 09:37:53 PM »

Yes,
3m
The outfit it called Chiprotect. The dealers here in the great NW offer this as an option when you buy a bike. I am sure you can get it done on any bike though. http://www.chiprotect.com/ I think its a good deal. It looks good. Best of all you don't have to cover the bag lids with leather, which usually scratches the pain anyway,in my experience.
TJ
I know it's good protection, but it's kinda like putting seat covers on fine Corinthian leather seats.  These custom paint jobs are too pretty to mask.  JMHO.  har.  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Wanna ride

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 11:38:11 PM »

I have been using "Ivory" dish washing liquid diluted and sprayed on before washing. Works better than HD`s bug remover and it is cheap.
Dish soap is not good for paint, it removes wax. And WD-40 is great for removing bug juice, without hurting the paint.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 11:40:01 PM by Wanna ride »

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2009, 02:21:17 PM »

I use the wet towel trick a lot on trips.Just make sure to shower first or use your roommates towel.(unless you're traveling with your wife)
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 20 queries.