Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: HD SOLUTION - Paint Repair Pointers?  (Read 7564 times)

DOOFUS

HD SOLUTION - Paint Repair Pointers?
« on: September 23, 2011, 11:31:58 AM »

My new 2012 FLTRU has a chip down to the metal.  11 bikes and I've never had a ding on the tank -- my fault -- I bet this was done at the dealer but too late to prove it now .  So, this ding is the size of a sesame seed times 2 -- down thru the clear coat and paint to the metal.  So please advise best way to repair -- do I get that little bottle of HD BLUE paint and carefully fill the spot or????? Thnx, Jim
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 09:17:05 AM by DOOFUS »

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
Re: Paint Repair Pointers?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 11:35:33 AM »

Curiously waiting for a response myself.  I've got a similar sounding chip on the edge of my front fender. 

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2007 Buell XB12SCg, 2000 FXSTD Deuce
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 04:27:59 PM »

I found the linked article quite interesting.
Using a tooth pick to place the paint into the chipped area.
http://www.autoeducation.com/carcare/paintchips.htm

It's all down to the preparation.

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 08:05:30 PM »

Get the paint and then buy a clear coat repair kit at wallyworld or auto parts store. I used one from turtle wax that had sanding pads and rub out liquid with clear coat paint. Take your time and work with it. As you go you will get better at it and by the time you figure it out nobody will ever see it. I did mine three times but it is perfect now.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

mark

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 08:22:46 PM »

x2 on the repair kit mentioned above...plus this:
Griot's Garage sells a paint repair kit that contains micro brushes, etc.  Use this kit and magnify your vision.  I've got a visor with magnifying lenses that you can flip down.  Must be something one would use to do detailed electrical work. 

I've used the visor to repair a rock chip on my fender...you'll be surprised how much it helps.

DOOFUS

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 03:25:55 PM »

Went back to dealer today -- they agreed it is a "bubble" cause -- they took pix -- now "Harley" decides whether it is a repair or replacement.  Will advise

DOOFUS

Re: HD RESPONSE - Paint Repair Pointers?
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 03:49:41 PM »

Jeez.  Just heard from dealer -- the dealer has sent pix of my tank"bubble" twice to HD.  Now HD "customer service" has said, "WE NEED TO EVALUATE THE TANK HERE.  TAKE IT OFF AND SEND IT."  So, I'm going to ask the GM at the dealer to intercede.  I cannot believe this is the only solution acceptable to HD.  Anyone else had this issue?

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 03:54:17 PM »

Jeez.  Just heard from dealer -- the dealer has sent pix of my tank"bubble" twice to HD.  Now HD "customer service" has said, "WE NEED TO EVALUATE THE TANK HERE.  TAKE IT OFF AND SEND IT."  So, I'm going to ask the GM at the dealer to intercede.  I cannot believe this is the only solution acceptable to HD.  Anyone else had this issue?

tell them fine.. send you another tank to ride with until they "evaluate yours" or have them give you a rental as the bike is unridable without the tank.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 05:04:39 PM »

tell them fine.. send you another tank to ride with until they "evaluate yours" or have them give you a rental as the bike is unridable without the tank.

Yup.  Why should you be without your ride while they "evaluate" it. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 05:28:24 PM »

If indeed that was an official Harley response and not some BS from a dealership employee, they have managed to reach a new low in my already low opinion of their customer service.  The company has service representatives who visit dealerships, and there is absolutely no need to send a part anywhere to get a decision.  Tell the dealer to get his rep scheduled in to the dealership and let you know when he or she will be there so you can have the bike there for review.  That's the proper way to do this stuff.  And if Harley can't afford to send their reps out to visit dealers, I'd suggest everyone take that into account when they get ready to buy the next bike or accessory.  Probably don't want to buy stuff from a company that can't afford to take care of basic business requirements, since that's usually a sign of bad things to come.

Call H-D Customer Disservice yourself and find out what's going on; this story doesn't sound kosher.  And make sure they understand that if they really want your tank returned they will have to supply a replacement tank or a loaner bike first, to avoid downtime. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 07:12:53 PM »

Wonder what any of the shipping companies would have to say about a gasoline tank that had - well gasoline in it  :nixweiss:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

DOOFUS

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 08:17:37 PM »

UPDATE:  I calmly reminded the GM about the 7 HD I have bought PLUS modes PLUS service PLUS etc, etc.  Magically, an hour later, I got a call from Service Mgr that the HD District Rep will look at my tank this FRI at noon.  Will advise. PS - great points GRC

If indeed that was an official Harley response and not some BS from a dealership employee, they have managed to reach a new low in my already low opinion of their customer service.  The company has service representatives who visit dealerships, and there is absolutely no need to send a part anywhere to get a decision.  Tell the dealer to get his rep scheduled in to the dealership and let you know when he or she will be there so you can have the bike there for review.  That's the proper way to do this stuff.  And if Harley can't afford to send their reps out to visit dealers, I'd suggest everyone take that into account when they get ready to buy the next bike or accessory.  Probably don't want to buy stuff from a company that can't afford to take care of basic business requirements, since that's usually a sign of bad things to come.

Call H-D Customer Disservice yourself and find out what's going on; this story doesn't sound kosher.  And make sure they understand that if they really want your tank returned they will have to supply a replacement tank or a loaner bike first, to avoid downtime. 

Jerry

DOOFUS

Re: HD SOLUTION - Paint Repair Pointers?
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 09:21:30 AM »

UPDATE:  On Fri the HD District rep looked at the paint bubble.  Here is the proposed solution:
- HD will pay for repair
- HD will not replace the tank
- The repair will be between the HD dealer and a local shop called SEVERE CYCLES in La Plata MD
I am awaiting a time to visit the repair shop to see some samples of his work.
Like many of you, I have been told that there is no "fixing" dings/bubbles thru the clear coat into the metal.
I'm told it will never look factory perfect.
So I'm looking forward to learning what technology and skill is used by SEVERE CYCLES.
DO ANY OF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH SEVERE CYCLES OR SIMILAR REPAIR SHOP?
Thnx, DOOF

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 10:56:10 AM »

UPDATE:  On Fri the HD District rep looked at the paint bubble.  Here is the proposed solution:
- HD will pay for repair
- HD will not replace the tank
- The repair will be between the HD dealer and a local shop called SEVERE CYCLES in La Plata MD
I am awaiting a time to visit the repair shop to see some samples of his work.
Like many of you, I have been told that there is no "fixing" dings/bubbles thru the clear coat into the metal.
I'm told it will never look factory perfect.
So I'm looking forward to learning what technology and skill is used by SEVERE CYCLES.
DO ANY OF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH SEVERE CYCLES OR SIMILAR REPAIR SHOP?
Thnx, DOOF

Where exactly is this paint defect located on the tank?  If it's in an area that you don't see under normal conditions, like the front of the tank near the inner fairing or down low where the tank wraps under, odds are that a good painter can blend a repair such that a person who isn't aware of the original defect wouldn't notice it.  If it's right up top where you and anyone standing nearby can see it easily, then that painter will have to be not just good but outstanding.  I have seen such spot repairs made in the auto business where even paint professionals couldn't identify the repaired area, so it is possible.

What did the rep have to say about the next step if this repair shop can't fix it to your satisfaction?  This would probably be a good time to get some stuff documented, before you possibly go from a little chip to a botched spot repair that Harley tries to walk away from by saying you have to deal with the painter and not them.  Don't let them put you in the middle.  If they require a repair attempt first and it fails, they need to commit to a replacement up front and not make you fight them and the dealer and the paint shop after the fact.

btw, as someone who had several parts replaced, including the fuel tank, I can tell you there is no assurance that getting the part replaced will result in a better outcome.  The painted parts vendor reuses parts that were returned for defects, so you could be getting a used tank with a repaint.  Knowing now what I didn't know back then, I think for most minor defects I'd prefer trying a repair first over possibly getting a worse part than I started with.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 11:34:20 AM »

Where exactly is this paint defect located on the tank?  If it's in an area that you don't see under normal conditions, like the front of the tank near the inner fairing or down low where the tank wraps under, odds are that a good painter can blend a repair such that a person who isn't aware of the original defect wouldn't notice it.  If it's right up top where you and anyone standing nearby can see it easily, then that painter will have to be not just good but outstanding.  I have seen such spot repairs made in the auto business where even paint professionals couldn't identify the repaired area, so it is possible.

What did the rep have to say about the next step if this repair shop can't fix it to your satisfaction?  This would probably be a good time to get some stuff documented, before you possibly go from a little chip to a botched spot repair that Harley tries to walk away from by saying you have to deal with the painter and not them.  Don't let them put you in the middle.  If they require a repair attempt first and it fails, they need to commit to a replacement up front and not make you fight them and the dealer and the paint shop after the fact.

btw, as someone who had several parts replaced, including the fuel tank, I can tell you there is no assurance that getting the part replaced will result in a better outcome.  The painted parts vendor reuses parts that were returned for defects, so you could be getting a used tank with a repaint.  Knowing now what I didn't know back then, I think for most minor defects I'd prefer trying a repair first over possibly getting a worse part than I started with.

Jerry

All good points, Jerry...  A crystal ball would be helpful in trying to determine if a replacement tank or repair of the existing tank would yield a better result.  What I continue to find amazing in paint issues, is the randomness of the solutions provided by the MOCO...  What results in a replacement part one time often results in a local paint shop repair the next time.  And sometimes the offered solution is to pound sand.  Got to love the consistency!
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 08:35:26 PM »

I have to agree with Jerry and might add that you should try your best to remove yourself from the process as much as possible. Drop the bike off at the dealer and let them work with the paint shop and call you when they get it back. Otherwise, you will let them off the hook and allow them to turn their back on the problem if it doesn't end well or accuse you of messing up the repair while you are putting the tank back on the bike.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 08:02:33 AM »

If your dealer won't make this right by replacing the tank, I would inform them that #8 will be from another dealer. You should not have to settle for a repainted tank on a new bike. Call HD customer service #414-343-4056.

Good Luck!
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 08:07:40 AM »

Wild Card,

Check out thread about wheel weights slinging off & damaging front fenders.This might be the reason for the paint chip.  I just had mine replaced by the MOCO under warranty. Check to see if your wheel weights are missing. Then replace the weights  with Dyna Beads!
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

DOOFUS

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 08:48:25 AM »

Many good points here -- thank you.  Further info you requested =
- the bubble/chip is on the right side top of the tank
- right where your eyes are drawn to look at the bike
- on friday the rep had service put a glop of clear coat on it
- now it looks like a smear of rubber cement
- i hope I hear from the paint shop to go see his work this week
Thanks and will keep all informed --

DOOFUS

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 08:36:23 AM »

I visited SEVERE CYCLES yesterday -- the MD shop used to repair paint for HD.  W O W !!! Mike Owens and Junior have quite the set up:
- Professional set up (clean room)
- See the description on their site
- Their work product is impressive
- They will re-do the entire tank
- HD "owns" the color BIG BLUE PEARL so the dealer needs to buy it
- In addition, Mike's "custom" bikes are truly innovative
- He shld be on TV not those buffoons from occ.
- So, once the paint arrives, we'll get it done.
Will advise, DOOFUS

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 10:38:35 AM »

Sounds like you are going to be a winner. We'll cross our fingers for you...
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 01:12:47 PM »

Once again I feel the need to caution you, do not let this become a transaction between you and Severe Cycles.  Your warranty issue is between you and Harley-Davidson Motor Company, and you don't want them saying you have to deal with Severe Cycle if their repair starts to peel six months from now.  Deliver the bike to the dealer, not to Severe Cycles, and insist they handle the entire transaction.  And you definitely need to insist on a repair order copy from the dealer to document the transaction. 

For the life of me I cannot understand why Harley would pay more to an outside shop to do a repaint on a CVO versus just having their painted parts vendor ship a new tank and take the old one back, just like they have been doing with CVO parts for as long as I can remember.  It makes absolutely no sense, but if you get the result you want then that's all that counts.  Good luck.

Jerry

DOOFUS

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 05:26:09 PM »

Caution appreciated - but not needed.  The deal is indeed between dealer and repair.  After 11 bikes, NFW wld I ever take responsibility for a warranty repair.  New bike is not a CVO -- but the BIG BLUE PEARL is HD owned paint.  Thnx,

Once again I feel the need to caution you, do not let this become a transaction between you and Severe Cycles.  Your warranty issue is between you and Harley-Davidson Motor Company, and you don't want them saying you have to deal with Severe Cycle if their repair starts to peel six months from now.  Deliver the bike to the dealer, not to Severe Cycles, and insist they handle the entire transaction.  And you definitely need to insist on a repair order copy from the dealer to document the transaction. 

For the life of me I cannot understand why Harley would pay more to an outside shop to do a repaint on a CVO versus just having their painted parts vendor ship a new tank and take the old one back, just like they have been doing with CVO parts for as long as I can remember.  It makes absolutely no sense, but if you get the result you want then that's all that counts.  Good luck.

Jerry

DOOFUS

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2011, 09:21:04 AM »

Sorry for being MIA -- started that new job. Here is the update:
- 3 weeks ago the HD dealer said they were ordering the BIG BLUE PEARL paint from HD
- The repair Paint shop was waiting for the paint
- Last week the HD dealer told the repair shop that the paint shld be here in a week
- I called the HD dealer this week to check on the paint
- The dealer cannot find any record of the paint being ordered
- The paint guy is pretty frustrated - as am I
- I'm speaking with the GM today.
Jeez, so typical

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 10:08:01 AM »

as a past worker for a HD dealer you need to take Jerry's advice and distance yourself from this, it's better to be safe than sorry. No one is doubting this painters ability, it's just so many factors involved in paint and painting. Even the air pressure coming from the paint gun can make a difference. IMHO

DOOFUS

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 07:04:45 PM »

Uh.  Not sure where this is coming from, but,  I guess I need to keep saying it:
I AM DISTANCED !!!  THIS WORK ORDER IS BETWEEN THE DEALER AND THE REPAIR SHOP.  THERE IS NO PAPER OR WORK ORDER THAT INVOLVES ME. THE DEALER WILL BE TAKING THE TANK OFF, TAKING TO THE REPAIR SHOP, AND PUTTING IT BACK ON.
Are we clear now???

as a past worker for a HD dealer you need to take Jerry's advice and distance yourself from this, it's better to be safe than sorry. No one is doubting this painters ability, it's just so many factors involved in paint and painting. Even the air pressure coming from the paint gun can make a difference. IMHO

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • U.S. Navy (30 years); Delta Air Lines (22 years)
    • FL

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 08:39:12 PM »

Okay so what was the outcome??  :nixweiss:
Current Stable:
2021 BMW R1250 GSA Rallye
2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited w/392 Hemi
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2012, 09:45:44 PM »

Don't you just love the legendary motor company's outstanding customer service!  I believe I got better customer service on my first minibike my pa got me from Western Auto when I was 8.  It's sad to see such an icon as H-D having this kind of disdain toward loyal customers. What took a hundred and ten years to establish being flushed down the toilet like a turd. I hope the MoCo learns where there bread gets buttered before it's too late.
Jesus is Lord

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 11:07:47 PM »

I find this all very fishy, GRC is right, cheaper to send tank for exchange with HD's Supplier, I really doubt this hole deal is on the up & up. This sounds like a dealer deal and not a HD deal. Very strange, would make me nervous.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2012, 10:35:44 PM »

Ive had a few small dings over the years on the seeg. I used the factory touch up kits and they seemed to work good. A couple of them i didnt fix perfectly so i had the pinstriper stop by and stripe over them. These were road chips from rocks etc. Good luck

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2012, 07:12:45 PM »

Went back to dealer today -- they agreed it is a "bubble" cause -- they took pix -- now "Harley" decides whether it is a repair or replacement.  Will advise

Good Luck with this,,, i hope this works your way   :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 21 queries.