Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What Were They Thinking?  (Read 620 times)

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
What Were They Thinking?
« on: June 29, 2008, 05:41:50 AM »

Got the idea for this one while I was laying on my back in the garage at 4:30am today.

I recently had to replace my front rubber motor mount because it ripped.

I spilled some oil after the bike was back together, I pullled the oil cooler off to clean the mount so the rubber doesn't break down again like the last one.

The whole thime while I was cleaning I was thinking... "why the heck would they leave the oil filter over such a significant rubber part?"  :nixweiss:

You know that spillage has got to be the reason why they break down so quickly.

With all the money that these twits throw into research and development, you'd think that they would have smartened up?

We should start a list of other "what were they thinking" designs and ship it off to them.

Sean M Cary

Re: What Were They Thinking?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 04:32:51 PM »

Got the idea for this one while I was laying on my back in the garage at 4:30am today.

I recently had to replace my front rubber motor mount because it ripped.

I spilled some oil after the bike was back together, I pullled the oil cooler off to clean the mount so the rubber doesn't break down again like the last one.

The whole thime while I was cleaning I was thinking... "why the heck would they leave the oil filter over such a significant rubber part?"  :nixweiss:

You know that spillage has got to be the reason why they break down so quickly.

With all the money that these twits throw into research and development, you'd think that they would have smartened up?

We should start a list of other "what were they thinking" designs and ship it off to them.

My mount is starting to tear - how hard are they to replace??

Sean

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 04:45:54 PM »

My mount is starting to tear - how hard are they to replace??

Sean

Fairly easy, you'll need a jack under the case to lift it off the mount. Remove oil cooler, regulator and engine mount bracket to gain access to the mount bolts.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 04:48:50 PM »

Fairly easy, you'll need a jack under the case to lift it off the mount. Remove oil cooler, regulator and engine mount bracket to gain access to the mount bolts.

Velva ride or something like that - is that the best replacement?

Sean

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 08:41:30 PM »

The Velva feels like a different compound, I used it on the advice of others here.

H-D Dude is right... it's not hard, you just need longer bolts cause it's a little taller.

I started a thread about it before and I think there are directions and where to buy as well!

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 20 queries.