Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Oil thru Crash Bar  (Read 4501 times)

Wildrat

Oil thru Crash Bar
« on: November 21, 2008, 06:29:27 PM »

I did a search on this here and got nothing but reports of crashed bikes. I have seen people routing their oil thru the crash bar. Does this really help much?

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

Re: Oil thru Crash Bar
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 07:41:47 PM »

Check out the Harley Tech Talk www.harleytechtalk.net website, their are a lot of members who have retrofitted their engine guards as oil coolers.

geezerglide

Wildrat

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 08:07:34 PM »

Roger, will do. I downloaded the info I found on another site. I will check this though to see if it has any improvements.
I know fellas have been doing this for many, many years and some guy decided he would be the inventor and get a patent on it. Here is his info maybe someone knows him.

Inventor: Kline, Steven C.

Address: 2232 Oaklawn Dr., Decatur, IL 62526
No. of patents: 1
Last patent issue date: 02/07/2006

Patent No.    Patent Title:    Issue Date:
6994150   Engine guard oil cooler

An integrated engine guard oil cooler is mounted to a motorcycle. The cooler is a hollow tube having an inlet, an outlet, a plurality of cross-sectional restrictions in its interior, and a plurality of radial cooling fins on its exterior. The tube has a shape such t..

kansaskim47

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 08:24:58 PM »

:coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue:

I routed oil through the crash bar for an oil cooler on my 98 Road King at about 30k miles.  I used the Harley thermostat and drilled and tapped the mount tabs of the bar for stainless steel pipe fittings.

It seems to work well, adding about 1/2 to about 1 quart of circulating oil when it is hot. 

It has added to the longevity of the engine, now over 105k miles.

One drawback is draining and refilling the crashbar to change oil completely, only do that in the spring and fall.

The other drawback is varying oil level in the oil bag. When the oil cooler is operating, there is a mixture of oil and air pumped by the scavenge oil pump. Since the crash bar holds a little over a quart of fluid without air, the oil level varies.

A standard oil cooler holds very little volume, so you don't notice the difference.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 10:00:03 PM »

Did it for a buddy and it works great, he was using it as a second cooler.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 08:36:51 AM »

engine guard oil cooler works great, but run some kind of metal etching through the inside to remove rust and other crap that my be in there.    axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 09:19:17 AM »

engine guard oil cooler works great, but run some kind of metal etching through the inside to remove rust and other crap that my be in there.    axil

:2vrolijk_21:   

Another suggestion or two: 

While the bar is off, test it for leaks.  Since it wasn't originally designed for this purpose, the part wouldn't have been rejected if there was a pinhole in a weld for instance.  Much easier to rectify that sort of thing before you fill it with oil.

While you're drilling and tapping the holes for the oil lines, also add one or two drain plug holes so you don't have to remove oil lines to drain the oil.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Wildrat

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 02:28:59 PM »

A friend of mine had his done by someone and they put something inside that coated it. Does anyone know what it might have been? I remember something about this sort of thing but can not remember any names.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 05:58:52 PM »

A friend of mine had his done by someone and they put something inside that coated it. Does anyone know what it might have been? I remember something about this sort of thing but can not remember any names.

whats the stuff they put in new gas tanks to seal them? 

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 06:34:10 PM »

whats the stuff they put in new gas tanks to seal them? 
Kreem
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Wildrat

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 09:30:11 PM »

I also found this. I read user reviews on both on a independent site on both Kreem and this item and it KBS seems to be the better of the two. Cost about the same. Some people like Pioneer, and some Sansui, and then their are some who like Fischer.

Does anyone know where their are pics of this mod? I have tried the links given in the post but I just get 404 error.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 09:31:46 PM by Wildrat »

REGGAB

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 10:13:49 PM »

Nifty idea.  Probably very clean in appearance.  Personally, I think the stock oil cooler is useless.  For one thing, how much air flow does it really get behind the front tire......with the wind vortex (dead air) right in front of it?  Second, how effective can a cooler be when it is constantly having road debris thrown at it from the front tire?  Third........the builder of my current engine tells me the stock cooler on CVO bikes "might" grant a cooling effect of roughly nine degrees.  Whoopty frickin' Doo!   :nixweiss:

So this engine guard cooler idea sounds pretty nice, BUT...............I think dual JAGGs on each downtube looks great and has a much........MUCH better cooling effect for the engine oil.  I was running one JAGG in parallel with the stock cooler until my recent engine difficulties, and I can tell you that the thermostat never opened for the stock cooler.  It was stone cold.  One JAGG cooler did the job.

Works for me.

Wildrat

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 09:51:33 AM »

Call me stupid, but where on a Street Glide do the lines get hooked up. Am I removing and relocating the pressure switch and putting one line there or what? I am riding today so I will look at the bikes in the lot to see if any are doing this. The only other place to hook up is back there where the lines exit the oil pump. I have the service books so I can look at it if I have too, just my wife is trying to get me moving toward the bike. I'll give her enough time to clean my windshield first though. When I start my projects I will try to take pictures and post them here for you all.

On another note, I am a member of a few forums both HD related and my other hobby radio, electronics. electrical, etc.. I have only been a member here for a short time but no one here so far has been a smart a$$ like on some other forums and it is appreciated. I ask a lot of questions and to some it may appear that I don't know much. I ask questions usually to get differing opinions, take the good from all and make it better. So if anyone has a electrical problem, just ask I have my books here that go to 06 FL's so I can figure out the circuits if you are having problems, just bear with me because I am not fast, sometimes I am, most times not. Anyway, time to ride.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 10:27:29 AM »

Call me stupid, but where on a Street Glide do the lines get hooked up. Am I removing and relocating the pressure switch and putting one line there or what? I am riding today so I will look at the bikes in the lot to see if any are doing this. The only other place to hook up is back there where the lines exit the oil pump. I have the service books so I can look at it if I have too, just my wife is trying to get me moving toward the bike. I'll give her enough time to clean my windshield first though. When I start my projects I will try to take pictures and post them here for you all.

On another note, I am a member of a few forums both HD related and my other hobby radio, electronics. electrical, etc.. I have only been a member here for a short time but no one here so far has been a smart a$$ like on some other forums and it is appreciated. I ask a lot of questions and to some it may appear that I don't know much. I ask questions usually to get differing opinions, take the good from all and make it better. So if anyone has a electrical problem, just ask I have my books here that go to 06 FL's so I can figure out the circuits if you are having problems, just bear with me because I am not fast, sometimes I am, most times not. Anyway, time to ride.

Wildrat, you will need a Harley or an aftermarket oil filter adaptor plate, preferably one with a built-in thermostat, to make your cooler line connections.  Jagg has a nice one with the hose connections hidden under the filter.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

REGGAB

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 10:47:40 AM »

Wildrat, you will need a Harley or an aftermarket oil filter adaptor plate, preferably one with a built-in thermostat, to make your cooler line connections.  Jagg has a nice one with the hose connections hidden under the filter.

Jerry

Yeah Jerry, that adapter is nice, and it gets the job done.

2 things:

1)  As nice as it is, filter changes are frickin' messy.  I can't figure a way around it.  Cleanup afterward is a chore.
2)  That adapter needs to be put on and properly torqued.......and then when a filter is installed, one must strictly adhere to filter replacement guidelines.  Otherwise, when the filter is removed, the adapter will move before filter.  Nothing good comes of that.  Don't ask how I know.   :huepfenlol2:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 11:00:46 AM »

Henry, the rotation problem came to light fairly early in the life of the Jagg adaptor, and they came up with an optional part to eliminate the problem.  Would have been much nicer if they just included it with the adaptor, but it appears they embraced the Harley strategy of selling partially engineered products and then selling you additional stuff to fix the problems that surface. 
--------------------------------------
4600AR-A - For TC-88A & TC-96A
Touring and Roadking models.........................$15.95

Anti-rotation Device for Offset Oil Filter Adapters
Bolts to the face of Offset Oil Filter Adapter to lock adapter in place against the case. This prevents oil filter adapter rotation during removal of an oil filter that has tightened due to thermal expansion of the o-ring during the heat cycle.

As for the mess, I still haven't found a way around that even with the old style filter mount without any hoses above or below the filter.  I've just resigned myself to flushing the area with degreaser and water after every oil change, then doing a full wash.

Jerry

REGGAB

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 11:18:40 AM »

Henry, the rotation problem came to light fairly early in the life of the Jagg adaptor, and they came up with an optional part to eliminate the problem.  Would have been much nicer if they just included it with the adaptor, but it appears they embraced the Harley strategy of selling partially engineered products and then selling you additional stuff to fix the problems that surface. 
4600AR-A - For TC-88A & TC-96A
Touring and Roadking models.........................$15.95

Anti-rotation Device for Offset Oil Filter Adapters
Bolts to the face of Offset Oil Filter Adapter to lock adapter in place against the case. This prevents oil filter adapter rotation during removal of an oil filter that has tightened due to thermal expansion of the o-ring during the heat cycle.

As for the mess, I still haven't found a way around that even with the old style filter mount without any hoses above or below the filter.  I've just resigned myself to flushing the area with degreaser and water after every oil change, then doing a full wash.

Jerry

Jerry,
Man, I'm in the wrong business.   :huepfenlol2:  I've seen that device for both "A" and "B" motors.  Never needed it for the green bike since I don't go gorilla torque on the oil filter.  1/2 turn past contact means 2500 miles later I "might" need a 17mm to get it off.  But the mess...........argh.......aw.........man.........that just vacuums! 
So, with this new setup Rod is putting on Thump, I should be able to implement my dripless oil change regimen again.  Might take some tweaking, but it looks doable again.  I HATE that oil mess...............which is yet another reason I'm doing away with the stock oil cooler.  Pulling it part every 2500 miles to clean up the mess got real old.

Wildrat

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 05:07:13 PM »

I saw on this other forum a fella is using a 2 litre drink bottle with the bottom cut out and cut here and there on the bottom to fit and the top was cut also.
When I do my filter I use that socket style wrench with a 12-14 inch extension and ratchet. So I suggested putting a gasket at the cap end made out of rubber or even a piece of leather and have it fit snugly around the extension. That way any oil that gets in the bottle won't pour out. Does that make sense to anyone besides me?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 05:14:14 PM »

I saw on this other forum a fella is using a 2 litre drink bottle with the bottom cut out and cut here and there on the bottom to fit and the top was cut also.
When I do my filter I use that socket style wrench with a 12-14 inch extension and ratchet. So I suggested putting a gasket at the cap end made out of rubber or even a piece of leather and have it fit snugly around the extension. That way any oil that gets in the bottle won't pour out. Does that make sense to anyone besides me?
Yeah, you need to make one up.......test it and report back (with pics, or course) and then, if the prototype is a workable solution to this annoying problem, make up some for your CVO Harley brethren.  :) har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 06:23:11 PM »

I ran the oil cooler crash bar on my Ultra for a year. It has it's good points and not so good points. It did lower oil temps better than the HD one mounted behind the fender. On the inlet side, the bar got so hot that I could not touch it without gloves. On the outlet side, it was warm enough to touch, but just barely. If you accidentally rubbed against the inlet side, you would get a nasty burn. I kept my lowers on, and when I removed them, I found the paint on the plastic parts that contacted the bar melted and softened. So if you are going to run your lowers, wrap the contact area of the bar in muffler wrap.

I kept it on for a year until someone mentioned the possibility of oil pump issues to me. I was told that the oil pump in the engine is designed to pump a finite amount of pressure, and that perhaps the size of the crash bar orafice, the height, and the direct upwards angle may be too much for the oil pump to handle. In other words the oil passanges in the engine are smaller in diameter and the pump can more easily push oil through it, where as the larger diameter of the crash bar may make it harder. I understood it to mean that it's easier to blow and move a fluid through a drinking straw instead of a piece of PVC piping going straight up.  But, on the other hand lots of folks (including me for a year) run them with no problems. In fact I don't ever recall hearing about any problems with the crash bar oil cooler set up at all. So my concerns about that may have been unwarranted.

The only other concern is that if you get into a minor accident (if there is such a thing), the bike could be rideable unless the accident leaves crash bar damaged and leaking or otherwise compromised.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Wildrat

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2008, 07:31:25 PM »

Yeah, you need to make one up.......test it and report back (with pics, or course) and then, if the prototype is a workable solution to this annoying problem, make up some for your CVO Harley brethren.  :) har!  :drink: spyder

You buy me the pop/soda (Dad's Diet RootBeer) and I'll even make one for your dog!

I will do some googling on pump problems.

I found the not temp control silver plate at M&M @ $88 and the temp controlled  in black for $119

Wildrat

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 08:27:05 AM »

Is -6 AN line big enough hose to run for this mod. The fittings on the Jagg adapter plate are they 1/8 npt?

Called Jagg, the man on the other end of the wire said -6 AN is plenty big, and the fitting is 3/8 push, 1/8 pipe. I'm wondering if that is why these instructions that are floating around out there on the different forums use 1/8 pipe on the crash bar, with the size of the crash bar tubing you could easily use 3/8 pipe.

If anyone has an idea why the 8th pipe on the crash bar let me know. I know putting the tank seal in the bar will be a lot easier with the bigger size.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 01:22:09 PM by Wildrat »

Wildrat

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 08:21:16 PM »

Anyone have any thoughts on using 3/8 pipe down at the crash bar? :stars:

I'm ready to order my fittings, hose and stuff from Summit Racing. Summit has their own fittings now and they are less expensive than Aeroquip, Earl's, or Accel. They also come in the standard blue/red, but also black, and nickel plate. I'm going to use black AN/8th npt on the adapter plate with black hose, then nickel plate AN/ 3/8th's at the crash bar not unless I should use the 8th pipe at the crash bar. It should be pretty stealthy not unless you look close.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 10:31:12 PM »

Guys,

I searched my PC for pics of my old install and could not find any to post. It was pretty simple, and I did it all on the bike. I didn't install a drain plug for it either since pulling the hose would produce the same effect. I have to say that it did a better job of lowering oil temps than the HD one ever did.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Wildrat

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 11:08:31 PM »

What about using a 3/8th's npt instead of 1/8th npt down at the crash bar?

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 11:09:34 AM »

O.K. Guys.. Here is the trick to your oil mess.. IT WORKS EVERY TIME::: TRUST ME  :2vrolijk_21:

First:
Find an old lower banjo brake bolt, the large hollow version used in the front brakes. Grind down a flat section on the bolt, starting mid section area of the bolt, so you end up with a very sharp threaded bolt. You want to make sure half of the bolt still has usable threads.

Next:
Find about 2-3 feet of hose which fits over the banjo bolt. Make sure you get a snug fit.

Next:
Find (i found some at home depot) a thick rubber gasket that bits the banjo bolt snug.

Next:
Loosen your oil filter to hand tight

Next:
Find a long socket that fits the banjo bolt. Drive the sharp banjo bolt into the back side of the filter. I do mine at top left will explain next.

Next:
Screw in the banjo bolt until the rubber grommet is snug. Now turn your oil filter so banjo bolt is at the bottom.

Wallah,

If your oil is warm, all the oil should drain within 10-15 Min's. Cold oil give it an hour.

This really works good,, should solve all your oil mess problems.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 12:32:18 PM »

O.K. Guys.. Here is the trick to your oil mess.. IT WORKS EVERY TIME::: TRUST ME  :2vrolijk_21:

First:
Find an old lower banjo brake bolt, the large hollow version used in the front brakes. Grind down a flat section on the bolt, starting mid section area of the bolt, so you end up with a very sharp threaded bolt. You want to make sure half of the bolt still has usable threads.

Next:
Find about 2-3 feet of hose which fits over the banjo bolt. Make sure you get a snug fit.

Next:
Find (i found some at home depot) a thick rubber gasket that bits the banjo bolt snug.

Next:
Loosen your oil filter to hand tight

Next:
Find a long socket that fits the banjo bolt. Drive the sharp banjo bolt into the back side of the filter. I do mine at top left will explain next.

Next:
Screw in the banjo bolt until the rubber grommet is snug. Now turn your oil filter so banjo bolt is at the bottom.

Wallah,

If your oil is warm, all the oil should drain within 10-15 Min's. Cold oil give it an hour.

This really works good,, should solve all your oil mess problems.
Hey   Sporty, I think I've got a mental picture of how you ground down the banjo bolt, but if you could post a pic of it, I'd be sure.  :2vrolijk_21: thanks, spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 12:46:08 PM »

will stake some pics tonight and post.

kansaskim47

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2008, 09:53:23 PM »

I used stainless steel 1/8" street els and 1/8" X 1/4" stainless steel barbed fittings. I polished the els and the hex on the nipples.  I didn't think the thru hole in the fittings was large enough, a little over 1/8", so I drilled out the inside to 7/32". 
I ran the hoses back along the frame rails to between the engine and transmission where the thermostat is tucked up in-between them. 
Remember mine is an evo, so I have some room there and was able to tap into the return line from the filter there too.
I originally tried the Jagg adaptor and didn't like the hoses and thermostat in front of the engine.
You fellas with the Twinkies may not have other options for thermostat and hose routings.
The install is very stealthy, you have to know what you're looking at to even see it.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2008, 12:38:56 AM »

Hey   Sporty, I think I've got a mental picture of how you ground down the banjo bolt, but if you could post a pic of it, I'd be sure.  :2vrolijk_21: thanks, spyder
Im not the worlds best photo taker so here is my best shot,, total 3 photos.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2008, 12:39:35 AM »

#2 shot

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2008, 12:40:09 AM »

last shot

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2008, 08:07:31 AM »

Thanks Sportygordy.  :) spyder

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2008, 11:15:17 AM »

last shot

That's an idea I'd never thought of before.  Will give it a go.  Thanks very much.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2008, 11:47:54 AM »

That's an idea I'd never thought of before.  Will give it a go.  Thanks very much.

I was thinking of this last night, and was wondering if semi trucks have larger bleeders which would improve oil drain flow and time. But being they use air brake systems not sure if bleeders are used. I'm sure now someone will improve on this, i only ask that they share so we can all benefit. As i explained earlier, this kit will drain your oil filter in less then 15 min with warm oil. It helps to lean the bike a bit towards the oil filter, kick stand works great. I've been using this for two years and never had them dreaded oil messes since.  I takes a whole five minutes to throw this together,,, good luck CVO members, I hope this works for you..  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 04:46:00 PM by sportygordy »

Wildrat

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2008, 02:21:50 PM »

I have a piece of thin gauge sheet metal that is 2 inches wide by 24 inches long. I slip it under the oil filter and have a gallon bucket at the other end to catch the oil in preparation for when it starts to flow. If you have completed the steps above you are ready to make it flow. It is real easy not unless you are a felon and not allowed to have firearms, if this is the case with anyone, I will address a method for you. OK, what you want to do is to get a hand gun, large caliber. I use a .45, now take a pliers and loosen the bullet in the case and gently pull it off. Dump about half the powder out. Put a little super glue around the bullet and put it back in the shell and allow to dry. Then load it into the handgun, wear goggles, aim toward the bottom of the oil filter and fire. If done correctly oil will begin to flow, if you missed try again. If you hit the case, just go down to the dealer and explain what happened, at this point they will tell you it's covered under warranty.
Now for those not allowed to have a hand gun for reason. Do all the steps except the firing part. Take your filter wrench and loosen the filter slowly allowing the oil to flow into the bucket.

Although the first method is the easiest, the no handgun method works equally well. I have even done the no handgun method and was not embarrassed doing it.
Good Luck!

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2008, 02:50:45 PM »

WILDRAT, thats funny. and you know some dumis is going to try.   axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Wildrat

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2008, 04:20:32 PM »

I received the KBS Coating kit today. It looks like I will have some cleaner, and rust inhibitor left. The kit comes with a small can of coating, hopefully I will get both crash bars done before it starts setting up. They say it is activated by air. I think if I pour half into one set of bars and put the lid back on coating, I will have time to do the other set of bars.

SuperMario

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2008, 11:53:34 AM »

I'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination, but a crash bar (engine guard) is nothing but a hunk of pipe!  It can't really do much, if anything, to aid in the cooling of engine oil since it has no finned areas to allow ambient air to pass through like a real oil cooler does. I would surmise that it's only benefit to helping cool your oil would be simply the increased engine oil capacity. Just my .02.           :soapbox:
Officially old enough to be a Geezer Glide pilot.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2008, 12:53:37 PM »

I'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination, but a crash bar (engine guard) is nothing but a hunk of pipe!  It can't really do much, if anything, to aid in the cooling of engine oil since it has no finned areas to allow ambient air to pass through like a real oil cooler does. I would surmise that it's only benefit to helping cool your oil would be simply the increased engine oil capacity. Just my .02.           :soapbox:

Did anyone on the site stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?  They'd know for sure...

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2008, 01:44:29 PM »

Did anyone on the site stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?  They'd know for sure...

I think you were successfull in sparking off curiosity with anyone that didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.. So what happened at Holiday Inn Express last night.. a free night???

Wildrat

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2008, 02:35:55 PM »

I'm not an engineer and I did not stay at the Holiday Inn Express but I did Google and reviewed information at various other Motorcycle forums and some of the fellas that are not engineers and they did not stay at the Holiday Inn Express either but have a oil temp gauge installed said the oil temp dropped on average around 10 degrees F. I would say that's a 10 degree drop I do not have now, and from reading temp drops when the tiny little coolers they sell for the bikes do about the same. One other thing to think about is this, some individuals do not wear helmets so they can keep their head cool, they do not have finned areas on their head to allow ambient air to pass through like a real oil cooler does but their heads stay cool. I will say this though. There is a good chance that if you choose not to wear a helmet to keep your head cooler, there is a good chance your head will have fins installed when it goes thru the front grille and radiator of an automobile.  :vrolijk_24:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2008, 02:41:39 PM »

I'm not an engineer and I did not stay at the Holiday Inn Express but I did Google and reviewed information at various other Motorcycle forums and some of the fellas that are not engineers and they did not stay at the Holiday Inn Express either but have a oil temp gauge installed said the oil temp dropped on average around 10 degrees F. I would say that's a 10 degree drop I do not have now, and from reading temp drops when the tiny little coolers they sell for the bikes do about the same. One other thing to think about is this, some individuals do not wear helmets so they can keep their head cool, they do not have finned areas on their head to allow ambient air to pass through like a real oil cooler does but their heads stay cool. I will say this though. There is a good chance that if you choose not to wear a helmet to keep your head cooler, there is a good chance your head will have fins installed when it goes thru the front grille and radiator of an automobile.  :vrolijk_24:

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Jerry

SuperMario

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2008, 03:59:19 PM »

Okay.....I just got off the phone with the guy at the front desk of the Holiday Inn Express.  His brother-in-law's mailman's nephew knows a guy that went to college with a girl whose uncle read somewhere on the internet that there were some motorcycle guys, one of which knew some Harley dude who ran oil through his crash bar and absolutely SWORE up and down that the reason his oil temperature dropped ten degrees was due to the increased oil capacity. After my phone call, I pondered it for awhile and then said to myself, "self........could this BE?"  Of course it could!!
Officially old enough to be a Geezer Glide pilot.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2008, 04:44:46 PM »

Heat transfer does not require a finned surface.  If it did, we could all save a fortune on insulation for our homes, and we could place our hands on the smooth surface of a wood stove without a subsequent trip to the emergency room.  Fins improve the transfer efficiency by increasing the surface area.

The "crash bar" oil cooler will reduce oil temps for both reasons.  It will transfer some heat to the surrounding air through the pipe, and it will also provide more oil volume which will in turn allow more time for the oil to cool between trips through the engine.

Jerry

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2008, 05:14:03 PM »

and when you thing about the amount of surface area that much 'pipe' has and it's right out there as the leading edge for the most part cutting thru the breeze......it's gotta work even w/o considering the increased capacity.   8)spyder

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2008, 05:29:58 PM »

Well my best friend is an engineer, and I have stayed at Holiday Inns while on the road. But more to the point I have had an oil cooler crash bar on my Ultra and can say first hand that it does lower oil temps. In fact it does a better job than the HD one mounted behind the fender. I know it works because the oil temp guage reading dropped. Furthermore the inlet side of the crashbar was scorching hot, and the outlet side was just hot. Like I said in my eariler post it radiated enough heat to melt the paint and plastic on the contact areas of the lowers. While the increased oil capacity is a benefit, I believe it is a secondary factor to lowering the oil temps.

Wildrat

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2008, 05:42:11 PM »

I know several people who went to college including me and they even gave me a degree in something. They even gave me a job that had something to do with electrical/enviromental system parts flying thru the air. These things flying thru the air had wings. After doing that for awhile they let me go and they give me a check every month so far and they fly thru the air also. When the mail man puts the piece of paper in the mail box and it is cold outside, and the door of the mail box is closed with no air flow over the paper and I go outside to get the piece of paper it is cold also because it absorbed the cold air around it. After doing that for awhile I got bored and went back to college and did something to do with Thermodynamics, I know it's a big word but all I learned was how to spell it. While I sat in the classroom I would look at the refrigeration lines for the A/C unit wondering why the big one had insulation and the little one did not. I also saw this squirrel sitting on a tree limb so I decided to sniff a little freon and ask the tree rat if he knew why it was like that. The squirrel told me that  when the A/C unit is running that the freon is a gas or should be when it goes in the compressor, the freon gets very hot thru something they call heat of compression as it exits the compressor it goes thru a coil and starts to cool the freon as it exits the coil as a hot liquid, it travels thru the little line being cooled more by no more than just the cooler air around it, as it approaches the indoor coil it reaches a metering device of some kind. Squirrel said he would have to climb out of the tree to see what kind of metering device was being used. Anyway he continued and said when the freon goes thru the metering device it is sprayed into the coil as a vapor then it starts going thru the indoor coil where a fan blows air thru the coil causing the vapor to pickup heat from inside the building throwing the cool air into the building, by the time the freon reaches the other end of the coil it is suppose to be gas again if the no good for nothing A/C man has the superheat or subcooling adjusted correctly, if at all, because some A/C guys think adjusting it to 70psi on the low side +- a few pounds depending on who showed them this scientific method of adjusting the refridgerant. Anyway the squirrel said the  freon exits the coil thru a bigger line because when a liquid turns into a gas it expands and that's one reason the line is bigger, he said it has insulation around it because it is still cool and if not insulated it would absorb heat and the coolness would go outside which would cause the home owner to call a A/C company moaning and whining and bi***ing that their A/C is not cooling like it was before I chewed off the black, soft insulation to line my nest. He said then the freon travels thru the suction line/big one back to compressor to start all over again. The squirrel said he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express a few years ago and he may have forgotten a few things. He did say that although some motorcycle guys may not have college degrees they would not run their oil thru the crash bar if it did not help. Anyway, the freon I sniffed was starting to wear off and class that day was nearly over. Oh, by the way they gave me another fancy piece of paper which means absolutely nothing if you cannot use practical everyday experiences with it to prove anything. If you just have a piece of paper without life experiences your just a smarty pants, if you don't have a piece of paper but can run oil thru your crash bar and it cools the oil enough to see it on a gauge and you pass that info along and your Bro's do the same and it works for them they'll think your pretty darn smart. Heck, I'm just a dumb Southerner and I don't know anything, never knew why they let me near them flying machines either. Ok, now I'm ready for the Engineer that stayed at the Holiday Inn Express to come rip this apart and tell us it won't work again. Remember this is for fun! s for Google it is the best thing around since the door to door man selling encyclopedias. Oh, those were books with words in them. :huepfenjump3:

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2008, 10:08:23 PM »

I just booked a room at a Holiday Inn Express for tomorrow night. Hope i get a good nights sleep.  :confused5:

Wildrat

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2008, 02:24:56 PM »

I was going to stay at Disney this weekend figuring if Holiday Inn Express helped so much I figured staying where Mickey Mouse lives would even be better, but that plan has been nixed. While thinking about it though I had this idea that I would install a pair of those CPC QD's down at the crash bar connections. They sell them in NPT at this site I found that is less expensive than those EBAY sellers, and shipping is half the price of the EBAY thieves.

http://quickcouplings.net
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.515 seconds with 21 queries.