Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: What do you want in a club/Membership? (like HOG)  (Read 9321 times)

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
Re: What do you want in a club/Membership? (like HOG)
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 08:31:25 AM »

I think H.O.G. is going through a transition. Any organization with more than one million members globally has to. The size of most chapters nowadays is so big, that most people do not even know the others at meetings. Hence the "ride together, party together" portion becomes less and less. For me the H.O.G. and the local chapter (one of the largest in Europe) are very welcome service offerings. I can choose from many events, get safety training, information, and much more, and - most important - use both as communication platforms to meet people, coordinate rides and such. I have many friends, who do not ride. Can't make them riders. Hence the vice versa option works very well for me: Find people who ride (I prefer H-D) and become friends, associates, at least acquainted. And then ride together. I have made many new friends in the last couple of years through H.O.G. and I am happy about that. At our age it is not that easy to make friends, in my mind.
I do also like the part of H.O.G. which is the charity work, the toy runs, or meeting disabled children and more. I respect the people who volunteer to do chapter work, while I limit myself to ride the bike. The pins and patches are a very big attraction to many. been there, done that. I think it's okay to wear the stuff when riding as a group, it is part of the character and befits the purpose.
In summary, I see no other organization like H.O.G. in the bikers universe, and Harley's marketing is really doing a top notch job to give us even more reason to ride. And that's what's it all about, in my mind!

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 08:46:23 AM »

... "no friggin way I'm ridin w/Hoist! ;D ;D ;D ;) :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Hoist! 8)
My call is to never ride with Hoist                           (again)  Well, maybe if he'd agree to let me ride my own ride and not leave me lost.

What I really want out of my membership with HOG is to Ride and Have Fun!

No seriously,  I love the membership we have with our local HOG chapters.  There are three real close to us.  We don't belong to others, but there are at least three others we could belong to if we'd drive a little further and at least three others we could belong to if we'd drive further still.  All chapters are different.  All chapters are even different from year to year.  The membership changes, and so with that comes changes to the dynamics of the group.  Just like here.

To fall in step with Jerry, our favorite chapters have some great volunteers who really want to 'ride and have fun' - just like we do on this website.  Those friends we've developed over the years are fabulous.  Seems like no matter where we go locally, we find friends everywhere.  Always bumping into folks we know from one chapter or the other.  It is hard to keep straight as we belong to so many, and for some reason others only want to belong to one.  But again, it is whatever works for you. 

Jamey and I love to ride together, and if we can get one or two others that will ride with us, we like that too.  But giving back and helping someone not yet skilled to ride like we like to regularly is very rewarding too.  Best of all worlds...  Ride and Have Fun.  It is not always about the destination or even the ride.  Just being out and about on our bikes is enough for us. 

Oh.... and the roadside assistance is not horrible. 

We are both life members so the stuff just comes in the mail.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 09:08:21 AM »

My call is to never ride with Hoist                           (again)  Well, maybe if he'd agree to let me ride my own ride and not leave me lost.

What I really want out of my membership with HOG is to Ride and Have Fun!

No seriously,  I love the membership we have with our local HOG chapters.  There are three real close to us.  We don't belong to others, but there are at least three others we could belong to if we'd drive a little further and at least three others we could belong to if we'd drive further still.  All chapters are different.  All chapters are even different from year to year.  The membership changes, and so with that comes changes to the dynamics of the group.  Just like here.

To fall in step with Jerry, our favorite chapters have some great volunteers who really want to 'ride and have fun' - just like we do on this website.  Those friends we've developed over the years are fabulous.  Seems like no matter where we go locally, we find friends everywhere.  Always bumping into folks we know from one chapter or the other.  It is hard to keep straight as we belong to so many, and for some reason others only want to belong to one.  But again, it is whatever works for you. 

Jamey and I love to ride together, and if we can get one or two others that will ride with us, we like that too.  But giving back and helping someone not yet skilled to ride like we like to regularly is very rewarding too.  Best of all worlds...  Ride and Have Fun.  It is not always about the destination or even the ride.  Just being out and about on our bikes is enough for us. 

Oh.... and the roadside assistance is not horrible. 

We are both life members so the stuff just comes in the mail.

When have I left you lost? :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

I always ride other people's ride when I'm riding with someone! And I'd NEVER leave someone stranded! EVER!!!! Biker's creed! My creed! I've had so much help over the years and have given same. Sometimes it might even kill a trip. The only time I ride at Hoist speed is when I'm with others that do also, or when I'm alone. I'll pace ya to see how fast I can get the pace up. But once the max is reached by the person I'm riding with, I always at least keep em in my mirror!!! HeHe!!! ;D ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 09:12:04 AM »

I always ride other people's ride when I'm riding with someone! And I'd NEVER leave someone stranded! EVER!!!! Biker's creed! My creed! I've had so much help over the years and have given same. Sometimes it might even kill a trip. The only time I ride at Hoist speed is when I'm with others that do also, or when I'm alone. I'll pace ya to see how fast I can get the pace up. But once the max is reached by the person I'm riding with, I always at least keep em in my mirror!!! HeHe!!! ;D ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

You never lost me, but my hubby did make me slow down while we followed you.  I was only bustin your chops, just cause you black RK guys kill me. 

:coolblue: :cherry: ;) :huepfenjump3:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 09:13:54 AM »

You never lost me, but my hubby did make me slow down while we followed you.  I was only bustin your chops, just cause you black RK guys kill me. 

:2vrolijk_21: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 09:21:08 AM »

HeHeHe!!! Well I love it Candy! And you're doing GREAT with that line! Keep em coming!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 09:29:10 AM »

What's Hog?  :nixweiss:

Did an exhaustive search involving many variables & found this:

It appears to be an eagle perched on a bike wheel over a banner.  Also the eagle appears to have been eating ®'s since one plopped out next to it.

HOG is not for every Harley owner & does not pretend to be.  There are good chapters, bad chapters, and everything in between.  Some like to ride in groups, some ride solo.  Some are new to bikes & HOG offers them a way to meet folks who like to ride.  Sometimes they stay in HOG & other times they leave to form their own clubs/cliques.  HOG is NOT any 1% type club & it meets with the major 1%ers across the USA occasionally - just making sure they are never involved in any altercations with other bike clubs, basically.  That's why there is NEVER a lower rocker on ANY HOG patch.  Part of an agreement they have with clubs as to territory.  Don't know any HOG members who think they are badazz due to being a member - agree with BB that the general public has very little clue as to what HOG or other bike clubs are about & do not differentiate that much. 

As long as it's riding & having fun, I enjoy HOG & HOG events. I do ride with other groups & enjoy riding solo.  :2vrolijk_21:

A live action animated HOG logo would be nice (eagle flapping wings & screeching as the banner waved & the wheel turned with a HD rumble maybe) with a solar battery to keep replacement battery costs to a minimum.  :nixweiss:

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

hdhog1

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: Autumn Haze CUSE
    • CVO2: Canyon Copper SEFB2
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 12:08:45 PM »

I have been a HOG life member since 1980.  Other than receiving stuff in the mail, I had no involvement.  In 2007 I joined a local chapter, attended 1 ride and it was ok.  The group thing is really not my scene.

I have been on several other organized rides and other than the sound and sea of machines, I consider them very dangererous places to be.  Too many variables.
  I too think HOG is a great marketing theme and many fine things have come of it.

I have used the fly & ride program several times.  I Used the towing one time(stranded in Key West for 7 hours on a rented Ultra) not very happy.  The patches & pins :nixweiss:  I know you can get $50 off the purchase of a new bike. :huepfenjump3:

I don't know what I expect.  It's easy to ask for something, but that has a price.  I do not like more rules and regulations, I want less...  So I guess with my Lone Wolfe attitude, I am not qualified to expect anything at all.  That should be more for members who want to be involved.

I must say, without yet having met any CVO members, this is what I would want from a HOG membership.  A forum to speak my mind and ask questions.  A place where I could read what others have to say, without any expections one way or the other.
  Besides owning and riding HD motorcycles for 29 years, this group "CVO HOG" is the only group I need.
                                                        Randy

have learned

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 12:28:44 PM »

Hoist! 8)

That's my style.............. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 12:42:56 PM »

Some general musing here.  If Candy can lose me pulling out of her driveway and Howie can lose Candy before the ride even starts where does that leave me if Howie and I attempt a ride together this summer when I'm in Maine with LD ?

B B

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 12:44:08 PM »

Some general musing here.  If Candy can lose me pulling out of her driveway and Howie can lose Candy before the ride even starts where does that leave me if Howie and I attempt a ride together this summer when I'm in Maine with LD ?

B B
Don't adjust your rearview mirrors until you are underway... 

And I never lost you, silly. 

:coolblue: :cherry:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 12:50:47 PM »

B B

Right by my side B B! Or maybe even passin me!!! ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2009, 01:02:39 PM »

Right by my side B B! Or maybe even passin me!!! ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

Only for as long as it takes you to get the feel for those reverse banked corners on the roads around the lake Howie

B B

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 01:14:55 PM »

I personally have tried the HOG club meetings and HATED it! 
I like talking to other riders...but the whole meeting, organization, schedule crap makes me puke.  I ride on my days off where I want when I want and with who I choose.
IMOP Too many people who have a need to be IN CHARGE at those organizations.
JUST GO RIDE!

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2009, 02:22:11 PM »

i`m a life member, i now live 1000km away from my chapter, the chapter was great initially but succombed to bitching and politics after i emigrated, although it seems to have recovered a bit in recent times, i am still in regular contact with my click of hog friends, i do still (after 5years away) make an effort to meet up with them at various rallies, and act as road captain when any of them want to venture far enough into europe. But apart from the annual european hog rally i dont wear my patchs anymore. The yearly patchs n pins just pile up under the dust 2gether with the various best in show trophies. I have made many friends from as many different chapters, and thats the best part of hog, i ride alone mostly, somtimes my wife any i even take different routes to meet up at an event. Mainly because our  bike gas tanks or our bladders dont have the same needs. I have no worries about attending any rally that i choose to attend, cus there will always be somebody there that i have met b4.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 24 queries.