Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Road Glide vs Street Glide  (Read 18834 times)

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
Road Glide vs Street Glide
« on: May 24, 2010, 11:53:22 PM »

If you have owned both, which do you like the best and why?

jb :mango:

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

Re: Road Glide vs Street Glide
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 09:49:29 AM »

If you have owned both, which do you like the best and why?

jb :mango:
:soapbox:
I actually bought a 2003 FLTRI and after 2 years of enduring the funnel reffered to as a fairing, I changed it to a batwing.  Best $1700 I spent on the bike.  Instantly made it enjoyable to ride.  I'm 6'1" and tried 4 windshields to the point it looked like I was driving the pope-mobile.  I also had 3 seats to use, too.  It's a shame, because I love the distinctive styling, but the bike was not functional for long distance riding and maintaining a decent amount of cool factor.  I'll never make that mistake again. 
Passenger said the difference was incredible, as well.  That may be even more important.
Big Lew
IBA #595

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 11:08:38 AM »

There are a couple of members here in Nor Cal that both own SEEGs (yes, two each) and a SERG (just one each) and they both prefer the SEEG over the SERG when it comes to touring.

Maybe iselbulls or ak will see this and weigh in......
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 03:27:39 PM »

I tried an Ultra and did not like the batwing at all.  6ft 1, 250 lbs and I felt like I was sitting on top of the handlebars like on a kids three wheeler.. and the windshield was too close and would move with the wind on the farmers fields and felt heavier

I bought the SERG... love it... so much better on a windy day.  took off the little poor excuse for a windshield and put the other one on that I had... it works great

Now I might be biased toward fixed fairings.... previous bikes were an 84 Venture Royal and a 98 Goldwing... I would have bought another Venture... but it has a batwing on the 3d gen

Frankly I think they are good bikes, each designed around the same basic bike for different riders.
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 07:48:13 PM »

I have had a street glide and sold it to buy a cvo springer ,then the 09serg came out and I got one and I think it handles better  in all aspects it may just be me but thats my opinion .....

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 08:50:17 PM »

I've had both frame mounted (86 Goldwing and 85 BMW K100LT) and didn't like the way they handled.  I've been riding bat-winged HDs since.  There's no comparison in my book.  I like having everything in reach with the batwing, and the "dead zone" behind the fairing is much better, IMO, than the more forward fairing mounted frames.  I won't ever ride another frame-mounted fairing bike again.   :2vrolijk_21:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 09:12:01 PM »

tr's might not be for everone, but in my book they are the best handling bike hd has in the fl line. once ya go fl you'll never go back. :orange:

my barhopper is a tr. ;D

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 05:44:45 PM »

The RG is much better once you get a shield that works for you.  That's why Willie rides one.  The front end is much lighter than the batwinged bikes.  It rides like a Goldwing, which is the undisputed king of touring.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Ron Hawkins

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG Stardust Silver
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 06:12:14 PM »

JB, Wife made me sell the 06 FLHXI after i bought the 09 SERG late last fall. AS of now I have 1k on the SERG and hands down i like the handling of the fixed fairing better.
Ron In ICT
Silver 09 SERG
I.B.A. 45113

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 07:13:06 PM »

SERG #1
a.k.a  Dent Dude

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 08:41:10 PM »

Handling, I vote for any road glide. Resistance to buffeting, bat wing far better.  Compromise =road glide with a face shield on helmet.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

wts

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG crush
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 09:28:17 PM »

I have both   ...   much prefer the RG

wts
someday- today-will be the good old days

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 09:20:31 AM »

Resistance to buffeting, bat wing far better. 

Have to disagree on that end.  The wind pushes the batwing around a bunch more than the frame mounted fairing.  With a batwing, it's pushing right on the handlebars.  Our SERG was MUCH more stable in Oklahoma winds than ANY of the Ultra's we've had.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 10:00:57 AM »

Have to disagree on that end.  The wind pushes the batwing around a bunch more than the frame mounted fairing.  With a batwing, it's pushing right on the handlebars.  Our SERG was MUCH more stable in Oklahoma winds than ANY of the Ultra's we've had.

The only place a RG might be better is in a crosswind situation.  I believe the buffeting on the rider (affecting comfort) is much worse on the RG.  As far as 'wind-steer', the bat-wing has a slight disadvantage, but having experienced both fairing on the same bike, I'll take the protection of the batwing over the shark-nose any day!  It doesn't make sense to me to have a fairing that makes you more uncomfortable than not having one.  Frankly, the Road King I had immediately before the RG was better at protecting the rider and passenger from the wind and elements.

I'll also add a bit about aerodynamics too.  I did two iron butt rides on that bike.  a 1K with the shark-nose, and a 2K with the batwing.  The MPG didn't change, so that tells me the fairings are similar in efficiency.

I will not accept that one or the other is the best.  One may be better than the other for a particular rider.  I've weighed the pro's and con's in a way that few  can, and I don't think there's any confuion about what opinion I came too.
Big Lew
IBA #595

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »

If one size fit all HD wouldn't spend the $$$ to R&D an entire lineup. There's an azz for every seat and I'm glide mine found the SERG  :drink:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.