Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: They ride among us - but hopefully in front  (Read 2714 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
They ride among us - but hopefully in front
« on: February 09, 2012, 03:43:01 PM »

I was at one of the local dealers this morning.  After I parked another guy (maybe in his late 50s) drove up to the service entrance on a Softail Heritage.  After he got through with the service writer and came inside I happened to meet him at the coffee pot.  He complimented my bike (I was on the cuse7)and commented that while we were about the same size he did not feel he could comfortably control a big dresser.  He really wanted one especially since he rides two-up most of the time and knows it would be more comfortable on trips.

Further conservation revealed that he had been at the dealership the previous day for something (I don't recall what) and when the tech test rode his bike he noticed the front disc rotor was severely warped.  This was why he was back today - to have that replaced.  The fella commented that it really had not bothered him since he only used the front brake in case of emergency!  He even stated he knew that over 70% of stopping power resides in the front brake but he did not want to use it unless absolutely necessary to avoid being thrown over the handlebars.  I told him that I have been a rider coach for years and have heard that before but it is darn near impossible on a big bike like a Harley.  The most likely scenario (which I have seen way too many times) is that if you lock up the front wheel and don't release and reapply you will wash out and go down way before any chance of doing a stoppie.  I encouraged him to give some thought to using both brakes and maybe even take a rider's education course.  Hopefully he will.

I've not ridden a Softail Heritage much at all but I seriously doubt that its rear brake is all that much more capable than the rear brake on dresser.  The thought of having to haul down my ultra from any speed quickly using only the rear brake sends chills down my spine.

It is bad enough to be brake challenged due to lack of practice.  It is terrible to be brake stupid!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 04:15:35 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: They ride among us - but hopefully in front
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 04:09:23 PM »

Sounds like this guy is going to wind up as a story in the Darwin awards.   :nervous:   :nervous:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Fattbaggernknox

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 04:25:56 PM »

My wife rides a 10 Deluxe & I would hate to think that all she used was the rear brakes...It's sad the people that dealerships put on bikes that are one ride away from there last or possibly others...
2011 fltruse FBI wheels& hidden axle 574 Fuelling cams & lifters.J&M rocker series speakers & amp, Rb Racing black hole spyder 2-1, Aim-vpc92,SE 58MM TB, HPI 5.3 inj. Tuned by Strokerjlk 112.76/118.99 sae 115.42/121.85 std

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 04:30:57 PM »

My wife rides a 10 Deluxe & I would hate to think that all she used was the rear brakes...It's sad the people that dealerships put on bikes that are one ride away from there last or possibly others...
This guy is no newbie.  Bad enough that a newbie gets out there with no training but this makes it even more frightening.  He rides (and with his wife even) yet he has no understanding nor skill of proper braking technique.  Unbelievable (well, probably not and that too is frightening).

IBA member # 45520

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 06:13:58 PM »

The rotor was severely warped because he didn't use it? :nixweiss: ??? :confused5:

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 06:27:44 PM »

The rotor was severely warped because he didn't use it? :nixweiss: ??? :confused5:

Got me Brian.  I dunno.

IBA member # 45520

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 06:56:54 PM »

Hopefully the guy will take your advise and get some training before he gets himself or his wife killed.

jamnflhxse2

• 1K CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Arrived 12-19-14
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 07:08:20 PM »

I think something may have been warped, don't know about the rotor! :)

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 08:07:11 AM »

Someone please tell his wife to stay off that bike please.   :confused5:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 02:48:59 PM »

It is amazing how many riders are out there without a clue of how to actually ride a motorcycle.  This front brake thing is just one example of people who never even read about how to ride better, much less take a course.  Geez, you don't even have to go to the Library any more, just Google "how to ride a motorcycle" and thousands of hits come up.  What is equally amazing to me is how many people are out there riding who don't have any idea of how to steer their bike...never heard of countersteering, and insist they are "leaning" the bike over to turn by shifting their body weight, which many of them are doing, in fact.  It's pretty scarey knowing those people are riding around in places like TN and NC, and you might meet one of them in a curve somewhere. Accidents waiting to happen...

This guy will probably go over the handlebars alright, but not from using the front brake...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 05:30:56 PM »

OK, who remembers having a bike with a front brake that's primary purpose was to hold you on a hill?   :drink: :huepfenlol2: :pineapple: har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 05:52:25 PM »

OK, who remembers having a bike with a front brake that's primary purpose was to hold you on a hill?   :drink: :huepfenlol2: :pineapple: har.  spyder
I do :)  But it wasn't 860 lbs. and I wasn't riding into the 10's of thousands of miles a year either and alot of it loaded for bear and triple digits for speeds like I'm doing these days...
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 06:24:31 PM »

I remember having a bike that didn't even HAVE a front brake at all, but I didn't care at the time...  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :nervous:  It took a coordinated effort to stop on any kind of incline...left foot down, or you were chit out of luck.  I probably wouldn't even get ON that bike now...or, maybe I would.   :nixweiss:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 06:45:28 PM »

I do :)  But it wasn't 860 lbs. and I wasn't riding into the 10's of thousands of miles a year either and alot of it loaded for bear and triple digits for speeds like I'm doing these days...

You're so right.....a few thousand miles a year was a lot.  Fact is, you could ride a bike in todays traffic and speeds without a front brake, but you'd have to be extremely good (and lucky) to survive long.  And, I don't know how this guy is doing it on a softtail unless he's a traffic jam all unto himself.  ??? spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 06:47:37 PM »

Rode with a friend long ago that lost his left arm in Vietnam. He had a hook for his left arm so had a eye bolt attached to the handlebars. Had the throttle and clutch rigged on the right side. We gave him plenty of room for situations since he didn't have a front brake. Every now and then the hooked arm would come loose and dangle from his eye bolt. He managed to ride quite well like this.

SilveRT8

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 01:42:41 PM »

I just sold my 03 Heritage softail and let me tell you the front brake on those is one of the bike's weakest point, scary in an emrgency situation.
I had the rotor and pad replaced by better parts and it still felt lame.
A night and day comparo with the new 12 CVO Ultra

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 01:56:04 PM »

You're so right.....a few thousand miles a year was a lot.  Fact is, you could ride a bike in todays traffic and speeds without a front brake, but you'd have to be extremely good (and lucky) to survive long.  And, I don't know how this guy is doing it on a softtail unless he's a traffic jam all unto himself.  ??? spyder

Haha, u r so right!

I just sold my 03 Heritage softail and let me tell you the front brake on those is one of the bike's weakest point, scary in an emrgency situation.
I had the rotor and pad replaced by better parts and it still felt lame.
A night and day comparo with the new 12 CVO Ultra

Do u have the ABS with your '12??? That would be like Flintstons vs. the Jetsons - (anything, tires brakes, highways haha)
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

SilveRT8

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 11:03:34 PM »

Yes, the '12 Ultra has ABS and braking power is astonishing for this heavyweight + my 235 lbs on top

mark

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 03:16:18 PM »

This is why I dislike going on those HOG rides, etc., with 30+ bikes...I'm not worried about my ability, but have no control of the goofballs around me. 

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 11:26:30 PM »

I agree with you 100%!
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 05:56:34 PM »

I have been talking to my neighbor about this same thing, he just doesn't like the front brake. Both his father and I have been telling him that he is going to get hurt if he doesn't use the front brake all the time. Using it only in an emergency you won't know how to handle it... Of course he is only 5 and rocking his little 50  :2vrolijk_21:

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 08:39:53 PM »

Hell, spyder, I remember not even having a front brake on 'nem ol' Springers and 12" over FL's!  I been ridin' Harleys since 1967, and I just don't use it, to speak of.  Hard for Ol' Hub to take advice from somebody that ain't been where I been on a Motorsickle, know what I mean there Dad?  I got my style of ridin', (while it may appear unacceptable to those who don't understand), that's the way I roll, and that's the way I will continue to.  Been in some real bad situations on a Motorsickle, some my fault and some somebody elses, but will still put Ol' Maudie where I want her, as long as she's right side up.  I know the limits of my Machine, and I got a pretty good handle on my own.  I try not to exceed either.  I'll call you when I get to Daytona.  8) Later--HUBBARD     
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 05:02:28 PM »

I grew up on dirt bikes, motorcycles, and snowmobiles.  It was a long time between bikes.  When I was getting ready to buy my first HD, first thing I did was go to the motorcycle safety class.  Best money ever spent!!!!  That bike was a 2002 Softail, and the brakes worked fine if you applied the rule 70-80% front/20-30% rear.  Back tire would lock up in a heart beat if you over used the rear brake.   

Everyone that asks me about getting a MC that has never had one, or it's been a long time since riding one - tell them to do the same thing....invest in the class, learn how to ride.  Then go into a parking lot and practice what you have learned on your new ride.  Better to drop it in the parking lot then on the road.  Better to learn how to stop fast without a car in front/back of you. 

Evasive maneuvers, slow turns, and quick stops were worth every penny!  How they have paid off! I will say that I am now spoiled by the ABS system too - but you still have to follow the rules.

It's incredible that you don't even need a MC license to purchase one.  That's not limited to HD dealerships. Texas has made it mandatory to take the MC Safety Class now to get your endorsement on the license - best thing they have done.  Too bad over 70% of the riders don't have the certification on their license.  That ticket is pricey!
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 07:27:43 AM »

Wait...I thought it wasn't cool to use the front brake...I saw it in that cartoon video. Now I'm really confused. Crap.      ;D
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 21 queries.