Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: What do you guys think about Ducati?  (Read 12412 times)

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
Re: What do you guys think about Ducati?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 08:57:31 AM »

:coolblue:
I just got rid of a Multistrada it was a great bike 150hp great handling bike.  the electronic suspension has great adjustability.

Why did you sell it? Just curious.

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 05:28:53 PM »

Thanks for all the support so far and please keep it coming. I've been going so crazy thinking about this lately my head feels like the robot from "Lost in Space" on sensory overload. I don't have as much time right now to address everyone & everything, but I'd like to at least get started.

First off ... I'm real picky, meticulous, impatient, impulsive, PITA sometimes and trying my best to make the right decision this time. As much as I would love to keep mine and get the Ducati of my choice ... that's out of the question until I hit the lottery. I love the looks of the Diavel but I can kiss goodbye all my storage and tunes for all that power. The Multistrada is an awesome bike. I watched a National Geographic show all about it and was amazed at how much time, money, quality and engineering was poured into the making of it. While that bike also appeals to me I'm not sure if I can get past the funky look of it. The Grandturismo (thanks Terry, I knew what you meant) would give me back some of the storage loss and I doubt I would even notice a 12hp drop from the Diavel.

Maybe I should ride both if possible? One problem is the 1.99% financing isn't offered for the Multistrada like it is with the Diavel. Another downer is the riding season will be coming to an end here pretty soon and that rate is only offered til Dec. 31st this year so I can't ponder about it as long as I would like. I still owe about $13k for mine and was told he would most likely be able to give me payoff (or possibly a little more), but I'm afraid of making another impulsive decision I may regret.

I'm pretty sure the handling and performance of either model will not disappoint me so that's another fear. Insurance cost for a performance bike also has me scared, I have a lot to think about. I've rambled enough for now so thanks if you took the time to read chapter one of this novel.

Brian         
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 10:55:31 PM »

If you can only have 1 you really need to think about that! I have never regretted not buying the Diavel and I was getting it as a 2nd bike. Couldn't imagine not having the option of "cruising" with my music going not to mention what I would do with all my D
HD gear...
I spent a few nights on a couple of the various Ducatti/Diavel forums and for that reason alone don't do it...
Alan

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 01:57:30 AM »

Too bad they don't let you order the Diavel with a trunk, saddlebags, cigarette lighter and radio then I know exactly what I would do.

MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 01:12:15 PM »

I personally don't think you'd ever know the MTS has 12HP less than the Diavel.  Both bikes are scary fast.  I think the MTS is a more versatile bike overall, plus it has more bells and whistles standard.  It is probably more suited to some off road stuff too, like gravel roads, etc.  The MTS look is something you either like or don't...personally, I've always liked the look.  It looks like some kind of Raptor bird...like a Hawk.  There's a few things to be mindful of with the MTS: The seat height is pretty tall, so if you're a short person, that's something to be aware of.  It's not heavy, so it's not a HUGE deal, but takes some getting used to when stopping at lights, etc.  I had to sort of cock my ass off to one side of the seat in order to get a good purchase with my foot of choice (usually the left).  I understand they have improved the seats a lot, so an aftermarket seat might not be necessary now...the older models had seats that were like sitting on a 2X10.  I put a Corbin on my '05 and solved that problem.  Also, because I have a 32" sleeve length, I put risers on the bars to get them up a bit more...again, I understand they have improved the bar position now.  You have to be really aware of how fast you are going...the bike LOVES to run, and you'll be going much faster than you realize, really quickly.  I looked down one day on a long stretch of straight road (with line of sight for a good mile) and was doing 110mph and still had another gear left.  And that was on the old air cooled motor...the new one would be MUCH quicker.  The problem, if you want to call it a problem, is that the bike is so rock solid and handles so well, the perception of speed changes as you grow accustomed to the ride.  The suspension and brakes are so good that it actually improves your riding ability...in the twisties, there's nothing like it and I never came close to reaching the limits of lean angle, and I consider myself to be a pretty aggressive rider in the curves.  The accessories are kind of pricey...the full Terg exhaust system will set you back about 2K. But that includes the ECM modification, K&N filter, and the exhaust system. There are some other systems out there too, for a bit less money.  And you can just put slip on mufflers to get a bit more sound, with the stock header pipes.

The Diavel Strada has smaller bags and lacks a few bells and whistles.  I have tried to go on the Ducati site and see if it can be fitted with some of the things that come on the MTS, particularly a luggage rack or topcase, but the site is super slow today, or my connection speed is down.  The Diavel has a lower seat height and more upright sitting position, with the bars coming back a bit more, especially on the Strada model.

I would not hesitate traveling on either bike, but probably would not be doing many 500-600 mile days on either.  But, I'm old and stiff, so the leg/feet positioning would start telling on me after 300 miles or so.  But a 300 mile day is, to me, a nice, reasonable distance to travel in one day, particularly if you stop and smell the roses a bit.  With either bike, you'll need a GOOD Full face helmet...something like the Schuberth C3 would likely be a good choice.  Not having external speakers on a bike is not a big deal for me...even on my CVO bikes, I usually listened to the stereo through the headset in my helmet.  So using an Ipod or something similar and streaming via Bluetooth would work fine for me.

Both bikes are engineering marvels, and if you like something "different", excellent bikes.  But they are 180 degrees different than a HD.  Personally, I have probably owned my last HD bike.  The Ducati forums are also different...some good technical information, but don't expect a lot of great social interaction like there is here.  But this site is unique in so many ways, not even other HD sites compare, IMO.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 04:41:33 PM »

I like the MTS also but was concerned about the seat height being too tall for my short legs.  The Diavel's fit is just right but having the MTS's ability to do some off road riding is a nice plus.  There have been many times I've come across a dirt or gravel back road that I've wondered where it went to but didn't take it out of fear of bottoming out the suspension or scratching my springer's delicate surface. (she's kinda funny about stuff like that)  I'm about ready to make the switch to one of the ducs.  Wife says that I'll be sorry but I'm not so sure.
Jesus is Lord

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 11:13:36 AM »

Well I finally had a chance yesterday to try out the Diavel Strada and was completely blown away and amazed ... what an awesome machine. The power is just unreal when you're so used to a 103 with no more tweaks other than exhaust with a generic tune. This thing probably has twice the hp than mine. I couldn't agree more that they are a totally different animal from a Harley, but that's a good thing. They gave me no limitations on the time or mileage so trying not to be too greedy I spent maybe a little over 30 minutes with it ... one of the best half hours of my life. I almost didn't want to bring it back ... yes, it's that addictive.

I'm 5'10" and the bike fit me very well ... both feet flat on the ground while stopped if I wanted, comfortable upright stance with a relaxed reach to the bars ... kinda felt at home on it. I think the bars are a bit less of a reach for better comfort over the other models. The single switch for the signals goofed me up at first until I remembered it's not a Harley. The digital or led gauges are a different look but simple to read and were starting to grow on me. Doesn't take long to toggle through the three different performance modes on the fly, you just press a button to have them come up on the screen and then hold in the signal cancel switch to select which one you want provided the throttle is completely closed ... and it spells that out for you if you didn't know about it. I didn't really play with some of the other features like trip meters, avg. mpg ... etc. One feature highly missed is cruise control unless I just didn't know how to work it ... if it even has it, not sure ... didn't inquire about that. I constantly use it on mine because my throttle hand always goes to sleep on me and have to shake the blood flow back into it periodically.      

I threw a few scenarios at it ... a little city cruising, a few minor twisties and a quick blast up/down one exit on I-79. Fire it up and the first thing you hear is a pretty decent rumble at idle for stock pipes. The real eye opener is how really, REALLY responsive the throttle is, it's instantaneous like nothing I've ever felt before. Pull in the hydraulic clutch, click it in first and smile because it doesn't feel or hear like the trans. is going to explode like I'm used to. The hydraulic clutch action has a light feel and works smoothly, a couple fingers is not a problem. The bike easily walks away from a dead stop practically idling without constantly blipping the throttle while feathering the clutch like I see so many people do (just makes me cringe). Start toeing (no heel shifter) up through the gears and you're treated with shifts as smooth as the clutch operates. The same goes for downshifting, but you have to be careful rev matching or you'll catch yourself over-revving it ... just a VERY slight blip is all that's needed. The throttle is like a hair trigger compared to a HD, especially because I left it in the touchiest (sport) setting most of the time. Sport and touring modes both give you all 162 ponies on tap while urban mode cuts it back to 100 hp (never tried it). There is a noticeable difference between sport and touring ... sport has a much faster, racier feel while touring is more gradual and not as abrupt. The engine has plenty enough low-end grunt around 3k for just putting at a nice steady pace, but lay into it hard from there and it feels like you're lugging it, so for that no strain feel just drop a gear and pin it ... although it still lunges forward ok without a downshift if you're in no hurry, just doesn't feel right. The engine's sweet spot seems to be closer to the 4-5k range for those quick blasts of throttle without that laboring feel. Watch the tach's bar graph slide over to around 7-8k and hang on because the engine feels WIDE awake there ... like you turned on the afterburners, what a rush! I almost shat myself on that brief highway blast as I quickly glanced at the speedo showing 140+ mph while noticing how fast I had caught up to traffic and had to get on the binders ... and it didn't take long to get it there or slow down. I'm sure there was much more left, but that was enough for me. Not sure what the speed or rev limiter is set at because I never touched either one and no desire to. You could easily lose your license or life in no time on this bike. It's scary how this bike tempts the little kid out of me because the feeling is so irresistible and it's hard to restrain myself ... that worries me the most.

MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 11:14:55 AM »

CONTINUED ...

Handling is also great for a part-time muscle cruiser, but I never came even close to pushing the limits there. It gave me good confidence through the curves and easy to flick around, but I didn't want to get carried away. I'm sure this wasn't meant to be a canyon carver like a sport bike however it felt like one compared to mine. The brakes are awesome and haul you down nicely although I didn't have a need to use them too agressively. I could use just my middle finger on the front lever without the need for anymore than that. At first I had trouble finding the rear brake since the pedal isn't as big as a Peterbilt, but after a couple tries I got it ... sort of reminded me of a dirt bike the way it's tucked in. The suspension was ok for me although I didn't really have time to thoroughly see how it handled every situation, most of the roads I traveled were fairly smooth and I didn't ride it like a crotch rocket either ... except for that one quick, straight line thrill on I-79.

The only dislikes I had was the lack of c/c and wind protection from the shield and the one on the Strada is a little bigger than the rest of the Diavels. I'm used to it blowing over me, not in my face. I wore my half-shell so my uncovered big ears amplified all the wind noise. I couldn't really hear the exhaust at speed unless I turned my head sideways. A nice full face or 3/4 would take care of that problem if I liked them but I don't. Maybe an aftermarket shield could help that. I would prefer hard, lockable bags over the soft zipper ones and also a trunk, not sure if that's possible. Yes, I would miss my tunes as well ... until I spent that $2k for full exhaust and that would be all the music I need on this beast.

All in all ... I absolutely, positively LOVED it, very exhilarating to ride, looks tough (got a couple "What is that? Looks mean!" at a few red lights) and a technical marvel compared to a HD for about three grand less than I paid for mine (both in stock trim, no goodies). Still not sure if I could own one as a primary bike for fear of losing my license or if they don't scrape me off the pavement with a shovel first. They were also going to let me try a Multistrada out if the battery wasn't dead and said to stop back again. I think I'll take them up on that offer today and sit down and pound out some numbers on each bike and go from there. I've ridden quite a few different bikes over the years and this ranks at the top of my list ... most fun I've EVER had on a bike! I almost had to learn how to ride big blue all over again as I left because it felt like a heavy mini-bike with a 5 hp Briggs & Stratton.    

MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 11:27:22 AM »

Nice review on the Diavel. Glad you liked it. Keep us posted if you ride the Multi.

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 11:34:53 AM »

Thanks and I'll do that ... I think that was my longest post ever on here. I never had to cut anything before and had to call the wife at work so I didn't lose this novel, i'm not computer savvy. I even took pics with my phone cause there was no way I was re-thinking all that if I lost it. I don't contribute here as much as some, but when I do I try to be thorough. Gotta get ready to head up there now so I'll keep those of you posted that are interested in these bikes like I am.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 12:47:45 PM »

Too bad they don't let you order the Diavel with a trunk, saddlebags, cigarette lighter and radio then I know exactly what I would do.

Same here!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 12:55:47 PM »

I am looking forward to your MTS review.  I stopped by my only local dealer but he doesn't have a bike to demo/test ride as my commuter/second bike.  Kind of hard to sell if you don't let people ride it!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 04:03:57 PM »

Don't know anything about them but had a friend come up on one to ride the the Black Hills. With all the tight and frequent twisties he could not get revs up to where the bike was comfortable and he had to stop a few times so it could cool off...

jb

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 04:27:42 PM »

Phantom309, great review.  I knew you would be blown away after riding one.  I think I could get used to the Diavel.  :2vrolijk_21:
Jesus is Lord

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 05:02:38 PM »

Don't know anything about them but had a friend come up on one to ride the the Black Hills. With all the tight and frequent twisties he could not get revs up to where the bike was comfortable and he had to stop a few times so it could cool off...

jb

Say what?  :nixweiss:  That has to be the strangest thing I've ever heard happening while riding a bike of any type.  Even the old air cooled Ducatis had ample power and response from 3500-8000 RPM.  That's a pretty wide margin of RPM with a 6 speed transmission, and I cannot imagine not being able to find the engine's happy spot with gear ratio and power band like that.  I think that had more to do with the rider being either unfamiliar with the bike, or simply refusing to downshift the bike when needed.  The same would be true of ANY bike...brand has nothing to do with it, and rider ability does.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 21 queries.