Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Adaptive headlight question  (Read 1337 times)

bgdv1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
Adaptive headlight question
« on: January 18, 2022, 12:36:24 PM »

Is anyone running one of the adaptive led headlights in their bike and your thoughts on it. I have the day maker in my 17 cvo ultra and not happy with it. I was looking at the Pro Beam, JW Speaker and Daymaker all in adaptive formats.
'17 CVO Ultra
'11 SG

Glenncarp

Re: Adaptive headlight question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 05:59:05 PM »

Is anyone running one of the adaptive led headlights in their bike and your thoughts on it. I have the day maker in my 17 cvo ultra and not happy with it. I was looking at the Pro Beam, JW Speaker and Daymaker all in adaptive formats.

I am of no help. I am a 54 year old Type 1 diabetic who has had diabetes for 47 yeaqrs now. I have had 4 eye surguries. Because all of the suguries to save my vison relulted in the removal of the cones which is what is needed to see in the dark, iI get home/hotel before dark.

I can see 20/30 out of both eyes in daylight, blind as a bat at night Lol.

bgdv1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 09:28:34 PM »

I am of no help. I am a 54 year old Type 1 diabetic who has had diabetes for 47 yeaqrs now. I have had 4 eye surguries. Because all of the suguries to save my vison relulted in the removal of the cones which is what is needed to see in the dark, iI get home/hotel before dark.

I can see 20/30 out of both eyes in daylight, blind as a bat at night Lol.
Thanks for the reply, Sorry to hear about your condition. I had figured someone may have already upgraded their lighting.
'17 CVO Ultra
'11 SG

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 06:11:18 AM »

I think you'd be better off spending the money on a set of driving lights like Motolights or a set of Clearwater Darlas. I've seen the adaptive lights that you're talking about and while they add some cool factor to the bike, I really don't think you're going to see improved light output at speed.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 06:49:29 AM »

Just another reason to ride a TR, with two lights it's double the lumens in front of ya.  :bananarock:

Sorry couldn't resist, adding some other lights as suggested is prolly the best way to go.
Wut the hell was that maneuver

bgdv1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 07:46:24 AM »

Just another reason to ride a TR, with two lights it's double the lumens in front of ya.  :bananarock:

Sorry couldn't resist, adding some other lights as suggested is prolly the best way to go.

I got rid of this
'17 CVO Ultra
'11 SG

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 10:50:19 AM »

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an "Adaptive Headlight"?  What is it adapting too?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 11:03:28 AM »

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an "Adaptive Headlight"?  What is it adapting too?

Think of it as a light that leads you through or steers around corners ahead of you.   What's actually happen (with modern lights) are parts of the LED array are illuminating such that they can lead through the turn a little.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 11:07:36 AM »

Short answer, from JW Speaker:  "These lights have an on-board intelligence that senses leaning when cornering to dynamically fill in dark areas while turning."

We have these on a roadster we have owned for a few years & they do a great job filling in the corners when turning at night.  The lights shift left or right to fill in when you are turning.  Some people like them (we do) some don't.  Can see why they would be a plus on a MC.  I have used Motolights for years to fill in the ditches & corners at night, but they are not adaptive.  For me they get the job done.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 11:10:46 AM »

Think of it as a light that leads you through or steers around corners ahead of you.   What's actually happen (with modern lights) are parts of the LED array are illuminating such that they can lead through the turn a little.

Saw your answer as soon as mine posted.  My original thought here, such as these thoughts go was:
Do these lights adapt because they have to in order to survive - Darwin's theory?  If they do not will they go extinct?  Evolve or burn out?  :nixweiss:

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 11:30:46 AM »

So they are fixed lights that cast a wider beam into the corners, or do they actually turn and pivot from a mount to cast light ahead of the rider into the corner?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 11:40:04 AM »

They turn - or shift - to follow you through the corner.  On bikes they have a lean angle sensor, on cars the sensor is in the steering mechanism & the shift is about 15 degrees to the side.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 12:21:13 PM »

They turn - or shift - to follow you through the corner.  On bikes they have a lean angle sensor, on cars the sensor is in the steering mechanism & the shift is about 15 degrees to the side.

Wow,...that is trick!  I'd like to see some mounted on a motorcycle in action.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 01:25:25 PM »

It is cool to watch, even for something as simple as turning into a dark driveway in the evening.  Saves one from all sorts of mishaps that conventional headlights don't illuminate.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2022, 01:34:30 PM »

It really is.  But for those that never ride at night there's no benefit.  As a DRL there is no benefit.  So when thinking where the accessory dollars can be best spent that is another consideration.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.