Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Author Topic: My Vote is to Ban Politics From This Great Site!!!  (Read 12424 times)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: My Vote is to Ban Politics From This Great Site!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 10:00:46 PM »

But to go completely off topic

:jack:

Hoist and I don't agree on much but,
Howie that is one damn sweet FXR you have.
There's a little Dyna in the garage here that needs a little exercising next time your down this way.
Pinks baby PINKS!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 10:01:53 PM »

I, being one of the offenders, would like to offer my apologies to most everyone. Although it's not entirely my fault, the Gov't didn't send me my Prozac this month. Seriously, I agree this is not the appropriate place for such venting and I do apologize to Osama supporters everywhere.
Hey, I'm taking baby steps.

Damn Mark...see if we had social medicine, you'd have gotten your government dose of Prozac, from Canada, but you'd have gotten it.   ::) :P

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 10:05:38 PM »

But to go completely off topic

:jack:

Hoist and I don't agree on much but,
Howie that is one damn sweet FXR you have.
There's a little Dyna in the garage here that needs a little exercising next time your down this way.
Pinks baby PINKS!

:2vrolijk_21:

Thanks, and funny I just said the same thing in another thread! :nixweiss:

Jim got Joy running great. Doesn't need any carb tweaking Jim. Running like a champ! Slow as chit, but running great. She definitely needs
pistons
compression
head work
cams

I hate agreeing with that guy! But the man knows HP! ;)

She's slammed way down, almost setup like my Pro Street, but without the HP! That can easily be rectified though! I'm thinking that I'll probably raise her with Traxxion, but wanna ride her some before deciding how (or if) to change her setup! :o ;)

She already has a Super E on now! ;)

My little baby FXR against that big bad TC Dyna! That's like bringing a knife to a gunfight. Maybe after I let her grow up. But right now for pinks, size being equal, I think my Pro Street will allow me to own Nancy's bike before ya know it! You sure she's OK with that! ::) ;)

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 10:13:56 PM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 10:05:46 PM »

I can't disagree with your thoughts, RedDevil...  When all is said and done, you are right...

It is just sad when emotions cannot be held in check and it is sad when the result is the loss of a long term member.  I enjoy the motorcycle talk and the friendly banter amongst the membership of the site, but I cringe when I read some threads...like the political threads.  I understand some members are passionate about politics and enjoy debating their views.  I chose to not participate in those threads...because for me it is not the time or place for these discussions.  It is not that I don't have views of my own regarding these topics - it just is simply not why I chose to participate in the site...

I have never met Terry.  No one can deny that he has made solid contributions to the site and membership for a long time.  His detailed instructional threads - complete with pictures were great.  I, for one, will miss him.  He did get extremly emotionally passionate regarding politics...and he sometimes shared some political views that are pretty contrary to mine...but the site was better with him then without him - IMAO.  I am sorry to see him leave.

Sadunbar,
I couldn't agree with you more.  I think this site will be poorer without Terry as a member.   Terry has helped me in the past and regardless of his political views, I would give that man the shirt off of my back.  I too hate to see him leave, and maybe after a while, he'll come back.  I sure hope he does.  I'll miss him and Diva a lot.

2012 FLHXSE3

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 10:13:30 PM »

I agree about being able to talk about anything without restriction. My reference to banning it in the title here, is for us to self control it, more than to ban something. I'm probably more Libertarian than anything else. And that would certainly be unconstitutional, even though this site is not a democracy. As a privately owned entity, I respect that Neal tries to let things flow as they may. Like many of you said, we're supposed to be adults here. But many of us maintain that we'll never grow up. Myself at the top of the list. No, I don't want arbitrary restrictions put on us. I might have gotten a little annoyed at the predictable outcome of today's events. But I'm really fine with things just as they are. If ya'll want me to change the tiltle of this, I'd be happy to do so! :2vrolijk_21:

But why can't we all just get along?!!! :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

So as I said earlier, "Get on your bikes and ride!" ;)

Hoist! 8)

Howie, I knew you wouldn't be for censorship...I just had my $0.02 about it.  I'll break bread and ride with any member on this site, if they want to.  (Except I probably wouldn't be able to keep up with you, Chip, or Hubbard :P) But hey, we'd still be riding, right?

2012 FLHXSE3

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 10:17:12 PM »

Howie, I knew you wouldn't be for censorship...I just had my $0.02 about it.  I'll break bread and ride with any member on this site, if they want to.  (Except I probably wouldn't be able to keep up with you, Chip, or Hubbard :P) But hey, we'd still be riding, right?

Thanks Charlie! You too pal! It was just my initial reaction when I came back with Joy, posted the pics, then found that stupid thread again, and saw how it crashed and burned! Just pissed me off was all! I don't like seeing ANY member leave! I'm over it now! :2vrolijk_21:

I just wanna be free to ride my machine and not be hassled by the man!!! :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 10:31:20 PM »

Most of the politics will either be gone or scaled down when the election is over,

this site has not seen an election cycle like this before.......

most members joined way after the 2004 election and this is the first election since the sites membership  grew so large.....

there is a diversity in this group and tempers do flare at times , but one has to remember why we are really here.............our mutual love of motorcycles and riding....

I am not afraid to mix it up with members on this site, but that is not the draw..............The politics can be amusing and at times sophomoric, but the real reason to come is

the knowledge of members and the free exchange of ideas and help related to riding  is why I keep coming back.....

I only wish at times that I could be more helpful to others at times........

Terry and I do not have similar views on politics and his opinions at times fell to harsh criticisms, but I never once challenged his knowledge about bikes and riding.

I see that he may have felt unappreciated, but I think he had issues going on himself and this site did not give him the refuge of understanding that he may have wanted.....

his experience will be missed and I wish him good will in his future endeavors. 

/color]
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 10:48:50 PM »

Terry and I do not have similar views on politics and his opinions at times fell to harsh criticisms, but I never once challenged his knowledge about bikes and riding.

I see that he may have felt unappreciated, but I think he had issues going on himself and this site did not give him the refuge of understanding that he may have wanted.....

his experience will be missed and I wish him good will in his future endeavors. 
/color]

:tekst-toppie:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 11:09:28 PM »

Unfortunately banning or restricting certain topics will not stop people's emotions only they can do that.

At times we all need just to step away take a few deep breaths and relax. It may mean that we close our browsers to do this, or do whatever it takes to not lot our emotions overwhelm us.

We all have opinions, and we need to respect others opinions whether we agree w/them or not.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

dido on that.. and by golly that is tough sometimes...

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 11:23:45 PM »

I hope Terry will peek in with his "Guest" status and read this thread.

I'm not insuating that we should all have a "Group Hug" or anything like that, but if I have gone too far in any of my post and pushed anyone's buttons to the point of anger.... well, I apoligize.  If this has been the case, it was not my intent to do so.

If Terry chooses not to ever come back, we will have lost an asset.  Terry was very helpful with his instructional post on motorcycle modifications.

Having said this, I too agree that we should not place restrictions on topics (as long as we follow the rules set within this forum - and are respectful of each other).  I enjoy and value the thoughts and opinions of the members here - whether I agree or not.  We need to keep the Brotherhood (y'all too girls) that we share.

I'm LRebel and I approve this message   ;D  
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:46:50 AM by LRebel »

T MAC

• Elite CVO Member
  • FREEDOM

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 - B/O
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 11:59:07 PM »

Unfortunately banning or restricting certain topics will not stop people's emotions only they can do that.

At times we all need just to step away take a few deep breaths and relax. It may mean that we close our browsers to do this, or do whatever it takes to not lot our emotions overwhelm us.

We all have opinions, and we need to respect others opinions whether we agree w/them or not.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

VERY WELL SAID.  WHAT IS IT SAID AMONG FRIENDS - DON'T TALK RELIGION, POLITICS OR MONEY.  

WELL YOU GUYS ALL HELP ME SEND LOTS OF MONEY ;D  

AND I THINK MOST OF US  BELIEVE OR HAVE FAITH IN SOME POWER GREATER THAN OURSELVES WE RIDE MOTORCYCLES AND THAT IS SPIRITUAL IN ITSELF. :angel:

... POLITICS WELL... YOU KNOW THINGS ARE HARD RIGHT NOW IN THIS COUNTRY THERE IS SOMETHING IN THE AIR - A NEGATIVE SORT OF ENERGY THAT FOR SOME REASON SEEMS HARD TO SHAKE - EVERYWHERE YOU LOOK THERE IS FEAR BEING PROJECTED AND YOU HEAR THAT CHIT ENOUGH YOU START BELIEVING IT.  WE ARE A PASSIONATE GROUP AND WITH PASSION SOMETIMES WE CAN CROSS THE LINE.   MY WIFE IS A DEMOCRAT, I AM A REPUBLICAN I HAVE SAID THINGS THAT HAVE HURT HER FEELINGS AND I HAVE HAD TO APOLOGIZE TO HER FOR IT - MY INTENTION WAS NOT TO HURT HER FEELINGS I AM JUST PASSIONATE ABOUT HOW I FEEL AND THE CHANGES THAT "I" THINK NEED TO BE MADE TO IMPROVE OUR COUNTRY - I WANT A BETTER FUTURE FOR MY FAMILY AND MY FRIENDS.  SHE IS JUST AS PASSIONATE AS I AM THAT IS WHY I MARRIED HER.  YOU GUYS ARE PASSIONATE THAT IS WHY I LIKE BEING ON THIS SITE I WOULD HATE TO BE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COUNTER IF YOU WERE NOT SATISFIED WITH YOUR PURCHASE/REPAIR.  

THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT PASSIONATE PEOPLE IS WE NORMALLY FIND THE MIDDLE GROUND.  WE KNOW HOW TO FORGIVE AND FORGET - WE ARE ALL STILL BUYING AND RIDING HARLEYS AFTER ALL THE YEARS.  :2vrolijk_21:
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 11:59:58 PM »

I saw the thread title and decided not to read or participate in the discussion, I would rather keep my political opinions to myself. If an individual decides to read/participate/be offended, that is their decision. It is too bad that the discussion has to get to the point that an active, contributing member decides to leave the forum because of a disagreement of 1 topic. Some things are just better left alone, I just choose to stay out of the political discussions...I don't want offend anybody with my conservative viewpoints and I don't want get my nose bent out of shape because somebody wants to push their viewpoints on me.

elvislee

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 12:22:31 AM »

I'll chime in on this topic as well. Without going back and rereading all the posts made on this subject, I don't believe I posted anything in which Terry or anyone else should have been insulted. If it is determined I did in fact insult someone; I will gladly apologize to Terry or anyone else who may have been offended. My posts were always meant to be in a civil and respectful tone and in no way were meant to demean or insult anyone.

I do not know Terry personally and I must say I surely don't agree with his politics. Terry and I have in one instance in the past had a heated difference of opinion and like a man he came back and apologized for a remark he made about Alzheimer's and President Regan; I accepted that apology and I to offered to him an apology for my quick temper at that time. Since then, Terry and I have had a few short discussions here and there that I thought was the avenue to us understanding each other a little better and I would have enjoyed becoming friends with him and still would should the opportunity arise in the future.I have read many of Terry's posts concerning the topic of motorcycles; he's very knowledgable and most assuredly more so than I.

As far as I'm concerned, I was really surprised to see Terry delete out like that because I really didn't see the debate as getting out of hand. I actually thought things were relatively civil. So again, it surprised me when I returned to find all this had happened. I have learned a lot from Terry's informative posts as I have with most everyone on this site and I hope we ALL can continue to do so. Hell Terry....it was you who reminded me what year it was I attended the Jethro Tull Concert in Tuscaloosa  ;D ...I damn sure didn't remember  ;)

This site is a wonderful site and why is that? Because of the people who run and operate it and the people who present their views, opinions, knowledge, wisdom, and humor. To lock this thread is the right of the moderator(s) who have done an outstanding job of insuring the rules be followed (I know because the dood respectfully chastised me once  :vrolijk27:  ;D) But, It's just a cryin shame that we can't discuss grown up adult issues as grown up adults....Best to everyone  :2vrolijk_21:

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 12:48:55 AM »

D00d,

Did you get the Hoist restrictions in place yet?  :huepfenjump3:
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 09:33:39 AM »

i don't often editorialize on here and i usually wont post in any political discussions so that no one will assume that my political views are somehow the sites political views.

all of us here bleed orange and black, but when it comes to politics some lean to the right and some lean to the left. some see the world in red and some see it in blue.

it has never been site policy to ban any topics that effect our daily lives. if you feel that participation in a specific topic is pushing you toward leaving the site, then i encourage you to ignore that thread, find your blood pressure going up because of someone else's views on a topic, then ignore that thread. or reach out to another member via PM in a respectful manner and say your post offended me. such discussions don't need to be had on the 50 yrd line they can be had on the sidelines.

everyone here is an adult, and knows where the boundaries are when posting. when those boundaries are pushed is when a moderator will step in.

hopefully in time TC will have a change of heart and return. he wont be the first here to leave and come back, and probally wont be the last to do so either
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 21 queries.