Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: selling my 08  (Read 5262 times)

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
Re: selling my 08
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2013, 08:51:59 AM »

I had a similar situation up here in Canada when I was selling my truck ,  I googled the e-mail address and phone number that the individual was using and all kinds of SCAM reports popped up.  You might want to try that to put your mind at ease.

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2013, 09:24:39 AM »

You only pay sales tax on the difference between the trade and the price of a new bike?
RayZ

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2013, 10:37:53 AM »

You only pay sales tax on the difference between the trade and the price of a new bike?

that is the law in Colorado, your state may be different.  You have already paid the taxes on your trade when you bought it.

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2013, 02:57:08 PM »

I didn't realize that.  Here in Michigan the state gets their pound of flesh every time you sell a vehicle, for the selling price not the difference.  Maybe I should go to Denver to visit my daughters and sell it out their.
RayZ

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2013, 05:43:51 PM »

I didn't realize that.  Here in Michigan the state gets their pound of flesh every time you sell a vehicle, for the selling price not the difference.  Maybe I should go to Denver to visit my daughters and sell it out their.

Re-read what i posted. That only works when you trade it for another. It does not work if you sell and then go someplace else to buy a new one. Trade only. Sometimes it works to your advantage to trade, and sometimes it works to your advantage to sell out right. Depends on what the market will bring on a sale compared to what they will give you on your trade. Plus it might be worth a few lost bucks on the trade, just so you do not have the hassle of Craigslist and e-bay buyers to deal with??

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2013, 06:38:13 PM »

That is what I understood.  I should go to Denver, trade the old for a new.  In MI. you pay the sales tax on the total cost of a new bike, if the bike is $20,000 and your trade in is $15,000 you pay the sale tax on $20,000 not $5000. Like I said MI. wants their pound of flesh, the rotten bastards!!
RayZ

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2013, 06:56:18 PM »

That is what I understood.  I should go to Denver, trade the old for a new.  In MI. you pay the sales tax on the total cost of a new bike, if the bike is $20,000 and your trade in is $15,000 you pay the sale tax on $20,000 not $5000. Like I said MI. wants their pound of flesh, the rotten bastards!!

That's crazy!  Even George Costanza doesn't "double dip".
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2013, 08:27:21 PM »

In Missouri, it doesn't matter if you sell your vehicle privately or trade it in, you only pay tax on the difference.  Just fill out a private sale form if you sell it yourself.  Oregon has no sales tax.  In Arizona, if you buy privately, you pay no sales tax.  From a dealer, they stick it to you.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

15CVOSG

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO FLHXSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2011 CVO FLHXSE2 (SOLD)
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2013, 10:28:32 PM »

In Missouri, it doesn't matter if you sell your vehicle privately or trade it in, you only pay tax on the difference.  Just fill out a private sale form if you sell it yourself.  Oregon has no sales tax.  In Arizona, if you buy privately, you pay no sales tax.  From a dealer, they stick it to you.

Cowboy

Correct....

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2013, 09:09:48 AM »

California collects sales tax on the entire purchase price, no break at all. You cannot go to a lower tax state to buy and then bring back to your state. When you go to register your bike they will charge you the sales tax for your state before issuing a license. No legal way to beat the system, best to pay your states sales tax and put the transaction behind ya.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2013, 01:07:01 PM »

California collects sales tax on the entire purchase price, no break at all. You cannot go to a lower tax state to buy and then bring back to your state. When you go to register your bike they will charge you the sales tax for your state before issuing a license. No legal way to beat the system, best to pay your states sales tax and put the transaction behind ya.

Short of moving to Oregon, you have the correct philosophy!

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 25 queries.