Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Duracell is Finally Here! (was New FLHTCUSE3 in Pennsylvania)  (Read 6630 times)

megavolt17

• Full CVO Member
Duracell is Finally Here! (was New FLHTCUSE3 in Pennsylvania)
« on: September 23, 2007, 10:08:36 PM »

Hi all,

I am new here but I have already posted a question.  My new anniversary FLHTCUSE3 is supposed to arrive at the dealer on 17 October.  Cool looking bike, I just couldn't bring myself to get a BMW (even though I could have bought 2 of them for what the Harley cost). A bike should look and sound like a bike, not a UFO.  I could not bring myself to even test drive a Gold Wing; a bike should not look and feel like a modernistic couch either.

The dealer (Appalachian HD) has a special if you order $1000 worth of accessories so I went for that too. I ordered the Harley HID lights (I am used to having 2 headlights on my FLTRI).  I was then going to get the Kuryakyn Panacea tail light and turn signals (like I have on my FLTRI) but the dealer could not guarantee that they would work with a 2008 bike. Then I was going to get the Stage 1 air intake kit and the race tuner, but that would have required changing the cool looking Screamin' Eagle air filter cover to a generic one I have never even seen (Air Cleaner Cover P/N 29121-07). Without the Stage 1 kit there is no present need for a race tuner for my bike.

To get to the $1000 level the salesman and technicians then suggested that I get the Screamin' Eagle® Street Performance Mufflers that are supposed to have just come out for the FLHTCUSE3.  I don't want really loud pipes and I was assured that these would be deeper toned than the stock exhaust and be a little better flowing but not much louder than stock.  I was also told that these are not so different from stock that they require a race tuner.  I was told that I would see a mild performance increase (since I will never ride the bike before they are put on I would have nothing to compare to).  Doesn't the FLHTCUSE3 come with high performance pipes to begin with?  I hope I am not wasting money just to hit the $1000 mark.

I hope I am happy with my bike and my add-ons.  I hate buying something that I have never ridden, or even seen in person.  I'll post my initial impression of my bike when it arrives! Wish me luck.

P.S. Thanks for the great web resource!

Megavolt17
 :cherry:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 01:34:08 AM by megavolt17 »
Megavolt17

2008 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FLHTCUSE3)
105th Anniversary Crystal Copper and Black Onyx
HD High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp
HD Illuminated LED Windshield Molding Kit
HD Air Wing Tour-Pak Luggage Rack with Smoked Lens LED Rack Light
Küryakyn Panacea Blue Dot Smoked LED Taillights and Turn Signals
"Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner
SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers
SE Race Tuner
Traxxion AK-20 cartridges
Bitubo HD 300mm shocks

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: New FLHTCUSE3 in Pennsylvania
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 10:24:59 PM »

Hi all,

I am new here but I have already posted a question.  My new anniversary FLHTCUSE3 is supposed to arrive at the dealer on 17 October.  Cool looking bike, I just couldn't bring myself to get a BMW (even though I could have bought 2 of them for what the Harley cost). A bike should look and sound like a bike, not a UFO.  I could not bring myself to even test drive a Gold Wing; a bike should not look and feel like a modernistic couch either.

The dealer (Appalachian HD) has a special if you order $1000 worth of accessories so I went for that too. I ordered the Harley HID lights (I am used to having 2 headlights on my FLTRI).  I was then going to get the Kuryakyn Panacea tail light and turn signals (like I have on my FLTRI) but the dealer could not guarantee that they would work with a 2008 bike. Then I was going to get the Stage 1 air intake kit and the race tuner, but that would have required changing the cool looking Screamin' Eagle air filter cover to a generic one I have never even seen (Air Cleaner Cover P/N 29121-07). Without the Stage 1 kit there is no present need for a race tuner for my bike.

To get to the $1000 level the salesman and technicians then suggested that I get the Screamin' Eagle® Street Performance Mufflers that are supposed to have just come out for the FLHTCUSE3.  I don't want really loud pipes and I was assured that these would be deeper toned than the stock exhaust and be a little better flowing but not much louder than stock.  I was also told that these are not so different from stock that they require a race tuner.  I was told that I would see a mild performance increase (since I will never ride the bike before they are put on I would have nothing to compare to).  Doesn't the FLHTCUSE3 come with high performance pipes to begin with?  I hope I am not wasting money just to hit the $1000 mark.

I hope I am happy with my bike and my add-ons.  I hate buying something that I have never ridden, or even seen in person.  I'll post my initial impression of my bike when it arrives! Wish me luck.

P.S. Thanks for the great web resource!

Megavolt17
 :cherry:

Megavolt,
You can change the backplate (HD part #???) on the A/C to increase air flow and keep the SE A/C cover.
Don't know about the slip-on's you mentioned.  I went with the V&H Big Shot duals and then switched out the baffles > went to the quite baffles.  If you don't want loud, this set-up is probably still too loud for you.  You probably would think the Rineharts are too loud also.
I would still suggest that you get the SERT (or PC or TMax) and have the bike dyno-tuned.  Factory set-up is going to be too lean... and you will most likely notice a marked improvement in performance after having the bike dyno-tuned.

I hope your new scooter arrives on time or better yet, early.  Post a pic when you get it.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 11:00:47 PM »

Megavolt,
Welcome to the site glad to have you join us. :2vrolijk_21: Congrats on the new bike, and don't forget to share some pictures when it arrives.

:worthless: :worthless:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 06:01:44 AM »

megavolt17 welcome aboard  :2vrolijk_21:

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 07:07:31 AM »

Hi Megavolt,
I replaced my stock mufflers a couple weeks ago with SE Pro Performance slip ons.  I have 5,200 miles on the bike.  I took it around the block to see if there was any popping or check engine light at first.  Since then I've put about 700 miles on and it runs absolutely fine.  I'll replace the breather and have it tuned in the spring.  It's louder than I thought it would be.  More of a good rumble.  I like it.  I received several complements on the sounds over the weekend.  There are a lot of threads here about members looking for an exhaust that is more "Harley" sounding than stock.  For them, it seems that the D&D Police Interceptors are a popular choice.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard from Western NY.  :cherry:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 09:17:16 AM »

Welcome to the site.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

bisounours

• SMF Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 09:38:37 AM »

Good morning megavolt17

:welcome_005: on the CVO website.

I send you the  :welcome_005: from FRANCE.

Best regards

:vrolijk_26: Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 10:05:38 AM »

Welcome from Salem, Oregon!

SEEG Geezer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 10:24:38 AM »

Welcome to the CVO site..........hope your bike comes in early........enjoy the ride. I went with the D&D FatCats, but I like it reasonably loud. I also had the SERT installed along with the high flow AC and it made a huge difference in the performance.

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 02:44:38 PM »

laissez les bon temps rouler - from Bourbon St, New Orleans!    :drink:
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

pumkinownerswife

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 06:54:04 AM »

Welcome Megavolt17, It seems as if you have have already found out how much help the site is so I hope you will enjoy your new bike when you get it!

Helen :carrot:

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 08:27:35 AM »

Welcome Megavolt,

Try this thread for info on the A/Ccover. 

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=16173.0

I followed Mr. Magoo's advice and have the stock A/C cover on with the high flow A/C back plate and filter.  Just used two rubber hose washers with a metal washer in between to make a 1/4" spacer.

I Haven't changed the pipes so can't comment on that, but if you do maybe I'll run into you somewhere here in PA (I'm 50 miles north east of Appalachian in Sch County) so I can hear them.  I like a quite bike but would like a deeper tone if I could accomplish it.  I've heard alot of the popular after market systems everyone on here likes and they're too loud for me.

Good Luck with the Bad Motor Scooter,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

courter

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoying the RIDE!!

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon/Silver
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI Purple/Silver Flames
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 11:12:45 AM »

Welcome from West Michigan!  Hope your bike comes in early!

rogerkmac

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 05:04:04 PM »

Welcome from Indiana.  I hope your bike comes in sooner rather than later.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 06:41:59 PM »

Welcome from VA!  :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 21 queries.