Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Author Topic: So how do you keep your bike clean between washing??  (Read 46835 times)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Re: So how do you keep your bike clean between washing??
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 03:01:24 PM »

I've been known to push mine outside during a good rain to let mother nature wash the dust off.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 03:34:11 PM »

My $.02:

The Griot's Garage Products are pricey but fabulous.  My '08 F-150, after multiple trips to Mammoth in the snow, mud, etc., looks new after using their orbital polisher.  Their Speed Shine is  great too.   After washing the bike, I use the spray wax and then dry the bike.  Works great. 

The product I always take with me, though, is Protect All Spray Cleaner Wax.  It's like the Honda product above but also has Carnubba wax in it.  Great for paint, chrome, plastic and even your seat.  Help's bugs not stick too.  A lot of HD shops carry it and though it's more $$ than the Honda product, one spray can lasts for months. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Glenncarp

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 01:28:28 PM »

http://www.aceitpolish.com/shop/

Found this stuff at vendor booth in Daytona for bike week. Works great on paint, chrome and even windshield and the most impressive part is that after you aply it, you CAN NOT leave smudge marks on windshield. spray on and wipe off with micrfiber cloth. Leaves a "wax feel" on bike. Not sure why they sell a chrome polish as vendor rep told me that this is not leave residue on chrome and I have found it does not. Little expensive but worth it in MH0. But two small sample bottles at show and recently purchased two larger bottles as I like this product.

duranh

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • Random photos
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 12:35:40 AM »

X2 use it all the time and it works great!

When they first rolled out the Harley Gloss it was actually Honda Shine, with a new label and a higher price tag. The Honda stuff is real good.

BIGNICK

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 10:29:30 PM »

A clean microfiber towel and Pledge

Harley Guy 5

• Full CVO Member
  • Hard Work will get you everything
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 11:40:22 PM »

My $.02:

The Griot's Garage Products are pricey but fabulous.  My '08 F-150, after multiple trips to Mammoth in the snow, mud, etc., looks new after using their orbital polisher.  Their Speed Shine is  great too.   After washing the bike, I use the spray wax and then dry the bike.  Works great. 

The product I always take with me, though, is Protect All Spray Cleaner Wax.  It's like the Honda product above but also has Carnubba wax in it.  Great for paint, chrome, plastic and even your seat.  Help's bugs not stick too.  A lot of HD shops carry it and though it's more $$ than the Honda product, one spray can lasts for months. 

Been using Protect All for years,
I have tried others but I fine Protect All works best.
I do fine if i get it on my hands it drys them out,
but works great on leather
2011 FLHTCUSE6
Do I Need To Say More
Aspen Classic Camp Trailer
Bushtec Turbo II
Looking Forward To Counting the White Lines

rdk

• CVO1: FLSTSE
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 07:32:01 PM »

I like Wizards products, Mist n Shine as a quick detailer, Wipe down for Denim finish, they also make Bug Release, and Bike wash.All are excellent.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 08:26:03 PM »

I don't. I only do complete washes. If the bike is dry I don't rub on it with
anything.

X2   :2vrolijk_21:   I try not to touch my paint or windshield ever, between washes.  Have just learned it the hard way over the years, with a number of new bikes and new windshields. :2vrolijk_21:  Anything else, you're just rubbing the dust and dirt around with a rag on your paint.

Funny story........having said that.  Most people that know me know that my bike is always clean.  Except when I'm on the road.  On several occassions, some of you have ribbed me about the way that my bike looked in some of the pics that I've posted.  After we all returned from Ariz. Bike Week a little while back, Terrie and I stopped at Eagle's Nest HD on the way home, to get new tires (no appt. needed).  As they finished up, I got on my bike in the service dept. and got ready to ride out.  A guy walked up to me and said "why don't you wash that bike......people like you don't deserve a bike like that".  I was waiting for him to wind down when the service writer told him "chill dude, they just rode in from Arizona".  I spent all day the next day detailing both of our bikes. ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:28:04 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 09:22:44 PM »

X2   :2vrolijk_21:   I try not to touch my paint or windshield ever, between washes.  Have just learned it the hard way over the years, with a number of new bikes and new windshields. :2vrolijk_21:  Anything else, you're just rubbing the dust and dirt around with a rag on your paint.Funny story........having said that.  Most people that know me know that my bike is always clean.  Except when I'm on the road.  On several occassions, some of you have ribbed me about the way that my bike looked in some of the pics that I've posted.  After we all returned from Ariz. Bike Week a little while back, Terrie and I stopped at Eagle's Nest HD on the way home, to get new tires (no appt. needed).  As they finished up, I got on my bike in the service dept. and got ready to ride out.  A guy walked up to me and said "why don't you wash that bike......people like you don't deserve a bike like that".  I was waiting for him to wind down when the service writer told him "chill dude, they just rode in from Arizona".  I spent all day the next day detailing both of our bikes. ;D

X2!!!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:32:08 PM by petewerner »
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

limited1432

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 10:07:31 PM »

TRY Bug SLIDE   its fantastic  ITs The GOODS

Try it you will like it......................Great on black
Support Our Troops
Thank a Soldier

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 04:43:10 AM »

I'm in the "never put my bike away dirty" crowd....most of the time I just give it a light touch with a clean, soaking wet wash mit and remove the bugs...I even have a separate new clean mit just for the windshield to avoid scratching.  My shield is crystal clear with no scratches and is now 46K miles old.  I'll clean the chrome front wheel this way (with a wet mit) unless I've ridden on wet roads, but not the rear wheel, that always needs a full wash, so my rear wheel doesn't look too good for long periods, but it's not too visible anyway (proof I am not quite the purist on cleanliness!!)
T

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 02:24:59 PM »

I'm not a big fan of wiping the bike down dry.  I usually give it a quick wash if it's that bad, followed by a spray detailer to brighten things up.
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2011, 06:09:25 PM »

I like to get bugs off before the bug juice etches into the paint and they get hard and try to bond with the paint.  Some road splatter that contains who know what will also soften paint it seems, like tars, leaked fluids, etc.  It's not always possible to wash with soap & water which is the best, so my next best approach is the steaming hot towel layed on the paint only after lightly dusting the top layer of dust with a feather duster.  This softens the bugs enought that with a good under-layer of glare, they just wipe off w/o soap.  Then there's not really any grit left to scratch as you dry it off with another towel.  If it works on a black finish w/o leaving scratches/swirls, it'll surely work on most anything else.  That's my drill at the present for on the road spit baths when you don't have the time, energy, or materials for a proper clean-up.  I think there are more differing opinions on this subject than what type of oil to use.  ??? har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 01:47:53 PM »

After each ride I use Wizard's Mist and Shine for a quick wipe down. And Opus 1 on the windshield.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Proctor

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2011, 02:07:25 PM »

I use a quick detail product in between washes. actually I wipe the bike down before and after each ride.  The only time I wash the bike is when I get caught in a rain storm and about three times a year I completely wash it and polish it.  I also have a product for removing bugs if I have a bunch.  Always use a micro fiber towl and never wipe it dry.  Dry wiping causes fine scratches in the clear coat.
Ported 11.1 heads, Wiseco pistons, T-mans 662-2 cams, SE 58mm T-body, SEST, V&H power duals with Hi Output, Timken bearing, welded and balanced crank .     129.62hp 127.22tq
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 21 queries.