Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No more CVO  (Read 3126 times)

IowaCajun

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

• CVO1: 2020 RGS Zephry blue
No more CVO
« on: June 26, 2020, 02:38:22 PM »

Well it is with much regret that this will be my last post. Last weekend I got the bad news that my 110 has lifter damage. Since it could cost a lot to fix we have decided to get rid of it. This forum has been one of my favorites. Everyone has always been cordial. Thanks to the admins.Ride safe

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: No more CVO
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 02:47:48 PM »

Well it is with much regret that this will be my last post. Last weekend I got the bad news that my 110 has lifter damage. Since it could cost a lot to fix we have decided to get rid of it. This forum has been one of my favorites. Everyone has always been cordial. Thanks to the admins.Ride safe

Not having a bike (any bike) has nothing to do with hanging around the site.  Just sayin'.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 02:58:39 PM »

Not having a bike (any bike) has nothing to do with hanging around the site.  Just sayin'.
X2 on what Don said. Stick around and hang out for a bit.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

IowaCajun

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 03:45:00 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I didn't think i could offer much input since i no longer have a CVO.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 03:49:17 PM »

The lifter failures suck on the 110s.  Best of luck to you.

BTW, this is one of the few places on the internet not over run with cutesy cat videos.  Stop in once in a while if ya want.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 04:10:51 PM »

The lifter failures suck on the 110s.  Best of luck to you.

BTW, this is one of the few places on the internet not over run with cutesy cat videos.  Stop in once in a while if ya want.

Should have known better Mike.  At least this one has a socially positive soundtrack :2vrolijk_21: .

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 04:27:05 PM »

This doesn't sound like a very good economic decision. Trying to sell a bike that doesn't run will probably result in you taking whatever the dealer will give you which we all know is the absolute minimum. Having a motor rebuilt, either by the dealer or an independent, and then selling, will probably net you a lot more cash. Also, rebuilding the motor is a lot cheaper than replacing the bike.

Just my $.02   :nixweiss:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 04:30:54 PM »

Should have known better Mike.  At least this one has a socially positive soundtrack :2vrolijk_21: .

Me?  Know better?  I have antibodies by the million to prevent that. 

Ima Social Distance from this pus... I mean kitty post Don.  More cowbell, less Cat Scratch Fever.

;D :huepfenlol2:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 05:02:26 PM »

This doesn't sound like a very good economic decision. Trying to sell a bike that doesn't run will probably result in you taking whatever the dealer will give you which we all know is the absolute minimum. Having a motor rebuilt, either by the dealer or an independent, and then selling, will probably net you a lot more cash. Also, rebuilding the motor is a lot cheaper than replacing the bike.

Just my $.02   :nixweiss:

That was almost exactly my first thought also Greg.  Almost to the word.  Then I wondered.

KBB (as good a reference as any I guess) currently shows a 2015 CVO Street Glide at average trade in of just under $12k and average owner sell price of just under $16k. 

Just a wild assed guess but could probably sell a bike with a bad engine on the open market for $11-12k.  Even if that's high maybe $10k.  I know if I was in the market for a good project, especially if I was thinking I'd be doing engine work anyway, I'd be tempted around there. 

Then have to consider what's the dealer going to charge to do a thorough job rebuilding the engine.  Top and bottom, cleaning the pan, etc.  It may not work out to be that much of a difference selling as is and you wouldn't have the upfront money spent of fixing the engine. 

Plus, if you fix the engine and get the bike home you might have the new and until then unforeseen problem of deciding to keep it after having promised the wife/gf that that g*&%)&(ed   money pit would be gone.

joe98

• Junior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 01:21:06 PM »

Sorry to hear about your luck with the lifters Iowa.... just out of curiosity...how many miles do you have on the motor ?   I sold my 12 FLHXSE3 last October after having surgery for a double hernia.   Just way to weak to ride most of last summer and still felt lousy after surgery.  In hindsight I do regret selling that bike as it only had 5,500 miles on it and it was clean as they come.  Like a couple of folks here mentioned.... it doesn’t hurt to stop in and do some reading on these forums.  I actually find it comforting.  I can’t offer any mechanical advice unfortunately, but if you can find someone who can fix the bike at a much more affordable rate than a stealership....maybe try that route ?   Just my honest advice.....

Good luck to you sir....

walris

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 10:11:21 PM »

What caused the lifter failure?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 09:13:44 AM »

The OEM lifters on the 110s is a poor design.  They fail (well known on this forum) & it's best to get them out sooner than later & get some decent ones in.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 06:45:54 AM »

What caused the lifter failure?

Many say its because of the heavier than needed valve springs in combination with the lifters HD uses and the 255 cam. More pressure on the lifter rollers than needed and it causes them to have metal flaking. 

Some people switch to beehive springs when they change the lifters to a better aftermarket lifter.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

IowaCajun

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2020, 09:08:51 AM »

For those that want to know. My CVO had 29,000+ on it. The engine wasn't destroyed by any means but it being riding season we wanted to move away from it before it got really expensive. We loved the bike.We always wanted to own at least one CVO in our life. Never dreamed we would have a 1st world bike on a 3rd world budget. It only had 1,200 miles on it we we bought it. Couldn't pass it up at the time. I'll pop in from time to time.Thanks for all coment's.

Tberg725

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2020, 12:06:55 PM »

For those that want to know. My CVO had 29,000+ on it. The engine wasn't destroyed by any means but it being riding season we wanted to move away from it before it got really expensive. We loved the bike.We always wanted to own at least one CVO in our life. Never dreamed we would have a 1st world bike on a 3rd world budget. It only had 1,200 miles on it we we bought it. Couldn't pass it up at the time. I'll pop in from time to time.Thanks for all coment's.

If it's just the lifter that crapped out why not look into replacing it yourself I've had lifters fail before and there was no damage just replaced the lifters bolt back together and was good to go the job can seem intimidating at first if you're not vary mechanically inclined but once you get into it not too bad and the internet now days has a video how to of everything

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 24 queries.