Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Hawg-Wired Amp's Rock!!  (Read 31992 times)

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
Hawg-Wired Amp's Rock!!
« on: September 14, 2008, 05:24:02 PM »

It's raining like &#!! in Chicago.  I can't ride, so I thought I'd create a video demo of my Hawg-Wired amp.  This thing rocks!  I peak out over 100db's of perfectly clear audio from only two speakers.   I have no problem hearing this one with my stock windshield ;)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Hawg-Wired Amp's Rock!!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 05:37:46 PM »

All I can say is WOW!!!! :shocked2: That is sweet. :bigok:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 08:59:06 PM »

Cool video.  But damn you Jim.  I never knew I needed a sound level meter from Radio Shack before this frigging post 8) .

HDCrazy

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '15 FLTRUSE Red (Sold)- '19 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: '15 FLTRUSE Blue (Sold)
    • CVO3: '14 FLHTKSE (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 09:00:27 PM »

That is great, you did exactly what I was thinking of doing. What set-up (part #) did you use, complete kit w/ speakers and amp ?  I also noticed you installed the rear bag guards on your bike. I was thinking the guards would not come down low enough on the SERG to look good because of the bag-extensions, are you happy w/ yours?
Thanks,
Greg

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 09:44:36 PM »

The Radio Shack sound meters are useful.  Not only can I use it to setup my home theater, I can also measure the db output of my pipes!  Of course I don't need a meeter to know the stock pipes are challenged by a weed whacker!

I installed the Hawg-Wired PSC/CX system that included the 150 watt amp (75x2) and the CX504 speakers.  The install is fairly easy.  The most difficult part is running the power wire to the battery. 

I got this baby to travel.  I like having the extra storage and a water bottle.  I use them all of the time.  They bars are not an exact fit, but it is close.  They just cut inside of the bottom corner of the bag a bit.  It looks fine to me.  Can't tell it isn't supposed to be that way.  The top of the bar fits the same as the stock bike.  here's a pic of the bottom of the bag and bar. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 09:52:10 PM by Jim Kerr »

HDCrazy

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '15 FLTRUSE Red (Sold)- '19 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: '15 FLTRUSE Blue (Sold)
    • CVO3: '14 FLHTKSE (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 11:22:39 PM »

That looks really good, thanks for the pix and info.

viaton

• Rockin' in Hellsinki
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2006 FLSTFSE²
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 07:53:45 AM »

Very nice! Thanks for the info!  8)

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 08:03:32 AM »

The system I purchased is the Hawg-Wired PSC/CX http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.php?products_id=78.  It includes a 2 channel 75 watt each amp (P/N: PSC1502) and 2 CX504-70 speakers.  The Amplifier and Speakers are matched.  You can't use the OEM or Hawg-Tune speakers with this setup. 

They also sell a rocking 4x75 watt 4-channel amp that is basically the same size for those that want hard-wired tour packs or lower speakers (P/N: PSC3004 - http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.php?products_id=50).  The nice thing about the PSC3004 is that you can start off with 2 speakers and expand it to 4 later.  It will run in 2-channel or 4-channel mode.  The PSC1502 is not expandable beyond 2 channels.  The cost difference, however, is substantial.  The PSC1502 amp, not including speakers, is $549.95 and the PSC3004 is $749.95. It isn't worth the $$ unless you need 4-speakers and don't want to use lower-power satellite amps.   

The system screws in or is double-sided tape mounted to the inner faring.  It is easy to install, but you do have to cut and splice the OEM wiring from the speakers and run a huge power wire to the battery.  The system can be grounded where the faring is mounted to the frame (just below the radio stack).  A good ground and power is critical. 

Below is a photo of the Hawg-Wired Amp install on my bike.  The system fits into the Road Glide Faring no problem.  The two or four channel amp easily fits under the right glove box (#1).  The speakers come with everything needed to install into the stock Road Glide speaker housing (#3).  The CX504 speakers also come with an external cross-over (#2) that removes frequencies that the speaker cannot reproduce.  The amp also has a built-in cross-over.  Combined you get pure undistorted sound to max volume. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 08:07:54 AM by Jim Kerr »

O4SEGlide

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 08:39:50 AM »

Very nice job Jim on the Sound System. What IPod mount are you using on the handlebars?

Thanks

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 09:07:16 AM »

Any idea how many Dbs stock system puts out?

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 10:19:46 AM »

The stock system puts out about 40 or so db's.  The Hawg-Tunes speakers would bump it up 10-15 db's as well as make the stock system a million times better.  The OEM speakers are pathetic.  Every bike should at least change the speakers. 

I'm using a mount called Riders Claw on the bike (http://www.ridersclaw.com).  This is a small company that only accepts PayPal, but the quality is excellent and shipping was fast.  They only make mounts for the ipod Nano's. 

I like the Riders Claw/Nano combo because it is small and looks like it was designed for the bike.  It mounts to either the clutch or break housing via the existing two screws and is easy to control while riding.  The install is very easy.  The unit comes with longer screws and spacers. 

I also bought the connection cable.  The one I'm using is 3ft.  They sell a 1.5 ft, but it isn't long enough to reach the Road Glide radio.  I wire tied the patch cable to the clutch hose and then routed behind the spedo.  It isn't beautiful, but it does the job. 

What I'd like to do is hard-wire the patch cable into the radio.  This would clean up the install and look a million times better.  I'm sure this is possible, but I need a wire diagram for the OEM radio to figure it out.  Has anyone out there hard-wired an ipod into a factory radio before? 

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 10:41:49 AM »

Very nice set-up! Thanks for taking the time to post the installation pictures and the video.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 10:51:01 AM »

What I'd like to do is hard-wire the patch cable into the radio.  This would clean up the install and look a million times better.  I'm sure this is possible, but I need a wire diagram for the OEM radio to figure it out.  Has anyone out there hard-wired an ipod into a factory radio before? 

There's a thread in here somewhere with the directions. Just on my way out the door so I won't be able to find it for you.

Biscuit

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 02:05:44 PM »

Jim, Your radio sounds great. I guess that will be a mod I need to do on mine. Has anybody used the JM replacement speakers, and what do they think of them. http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=HRUS-06GT&PF=6

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 02:55:41 PM »

I saw a 2008 Anniversary Road Glide with the J&M speakers about a month ago.  They looked nice and sounded good.  One thing I wasn't keen on was that the tweeter is exposed.  I believe it would be easier to damage than one that is hidden behind the speaker mesh.  The J&M tweeter is also quite a bit smaller than the hogtunes speakers.  I'm curious how well it will perform.  To objectively compare these speakers, however, we need the complete specs.  Unlike the Hawg Wired, it doesn't appear that Hogtunes or J&M publish the dynamic range on their websites.  The bigger the frequency range the better it will sound.  Power claims are all subjective.  They only need to handle the max power output of the H/K (20 watts a channel). 

Before I would buy the J&M I'd get the specs.  I know of many HD drivers that have Hogtunes and are happy with them.  Hogtune speakers are also a bit less expensive.  $99.95 versus $109.99. 

arthurman83

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE Red/Black (sold)
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black (sold)
    • CVO3: 2011 FLHXSE2 Orange/Black
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 06:12:57 PM »

Jim, do you know what impedence the factory speakers are? I was thinking of just replacing the speakers with the ones you used, but read on the Hawg Wired website that some CVO's were 4 ohm and some were 8 ohm.
Thanks,
Andrew

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 06:31:19 PM »

Jim, that's very impressive!  As a music nut, I will have to consider it.  Have used the J&M's for years and believe they're a very good (required) upgrade.  ('04RG). They're an "outdoor" speaker so that should not be an issue though I would not spray them directly when washing the bike.  Same for the instruments.  Depends on how far you want to go.  Jim's Hawg-Wired PSC/CX system is that, an amp and speaker upgrade.  No doubt much better! Far different price points though. 

According to J&M, the new, HD (and theirs), two speaker system is 2 ohm.

Greg

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 06:33:36 PM »

Greg is right.  The factory speakers are 2 ohm.  It will work for awhile, but it will eventually overdrive your H/K radio and kill the internal amp.  Big $$ to fix.  The entire radio would have to be removed.  You'd be better off going with hogtunes or J&M if you are not going to change out the amp.  They both sell good speakers that will work with the stock system.  You could also probably find 2 ohm 5.5" Marine speakers that would work.  The mounting is standard, so any 5.5" speaker will do the trick.   

arthurman83

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE Red/Black (sold)
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black (sold)
    • CVO3: 2011 FLHXSE2 Orange/Black
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 06:41:03 PM »

Thanks for the replies. Hawg wired also offers 2 ohm speakers. What brand do you prefer ?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 06:44:54 PM »

The stock system puts out about 40 or so db's.  The Hawg-Tunes speakers would bump it up 10-15 db's as well as make the stock system a million times better.  The OEM speakers are pathetic.  Every bike should at least change the speakers. 

I'm using a mount called Riders Claw on the bike (http://www.ridersclaw.com).  This is a small company that only accepts PayPal, but the quality is excellent and shipping was fast.  They only make mounts for the ipod Nano's. 

I like the Riders Claw/Nano combo because it is small and looks like it was designed for the bike.  It mounts to either the clutch or break housing via the existing two screws and is easy to control while riding.  The install is very easy.  The unit comes with longer screws and spacers. 

I also bought the connection cable.  The one I'm using is 3ft.  They sell a 1.5 ft, but it isn't long enough to reach the Road Glide radio.  I wire tied the patch cable to the clutch hose and then routed behind the spedo.  It isn't beautiful, but it does the job. 

What I'd like to do is hard-wire the patch cable into the radio.  This would clean up the install and look a million times better.  I'm sure this is possible, but I need a wire diagram for the OEM radio to figure it out.  Has anyone out there hard-wired an ipod into a factory radio before? 
Check out this thread - "How To" HK 06 and up Aux Jack to back of radio

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »

Thanks Fired00d, this is the post I was looking for; however, it is intense.  Have to pull the entire radio and get into it big time.  This would no doubt kill the warranty.  I'm hoping someone has a wire diagram for the H/K radios.  I know there has to be a better way to do this.  There are a million unused connectors inside of the faring.  If I could get a schematic I'm confident I could figure out how to create a harness that would trick the system to work.  Could use the intercom circuit, cb circuit, remote cd changer, etc.  These radios are very capable units that can probably do a lot more than moco cares about. 

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 07:14:34 PM »

I was looking through my photos and found this one.  It is a shot of the OEM speaker before I pulled it out and threw it in the trash.  It is a joke.  It has a small magnet and does not have a tweeter.  This is an easy remove and replace project.  Anyone could do it.  4-screws and two wires. 

BTW, the wire plugs on the speakers are polarized (e.g. + & -).  HD uses a smaller spade connector on the positive lead (white plug in this pic).  If you change speakers you may need to change the positive connector to a larger size.  Radio Shack sells everything needed to do this. 

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 07:19:33 PM »

Pic of Hawg-Wired Speaker replacement...

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 07:25:45 PM »

Pic of hogtunes speaker taken from their website.  This one has a good picture of the smaller spade connector I referenced above. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 07:27:18 PM by Jim Kerr »

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 07:44:01 PM »

I just installed the J&M speakers this weekend and they are better than the stock speakers, but they are still limited IMO. With the short windscreen the sound quality degrades above 50 mph. I am installing a taller windshield later this week so I will see if that improves the ability to hear the radio/CD at higher speeds. I figure that if I want better quality sound that I will have probably have to intall an amplifier and maybe another set of speakers.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008, 08:22:14 PM »

Jim, Your radio sounds great. I guess that will be a mod I need to do on mine. Has anybody used the JM replacement speakers, and what do they think of them. http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=HRUS-06GT&PF=6

I have had the very one's in your link and the model before those. Save your money and add the HW speakers only to start then build from there.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008, 08:29:42 PM »

Greg is right.  The factory speakers are 2 ohm.  It will work for awhile, but it will eventually overdrive your H/K radio and kill the internal amp.  Big $$ to fix.  The entire radio would have to be removed.  You'd be better off going with hogtunes or J&M if you are not going to change out the amp.  They both sell good speakers that will work with the stock system.  You could also probably find 2 ohm 5.5" Marine speakers that would work.  The mounting is standard, so any 5.5" speaker will do the trick.   

Nice post Jim. I think you are going t be very useful around here!  :2vrolijk_21:

Reading the above quoted post, are you saying I could not use the HW speakers t start and then add the amp later? Can I do this without hurting anything?

Thanks,

Rob

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2008, 09:45:25 PM »

Rob, you are correct.  You can't use the Hawg-Wired speakers with the factory H/K stereo.  The factory radio is 2 ohm and the HW's are 4. 

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2008, 11:03:16 PM »

Rob, you are correct.  You can't use the Hawg-Wired speakers with the factory H/K stereo.  The factory radio is 2 ohm and the HW's are 4. 

Thanks buddy. I have a call into Jim (HD-Dude) to order the 4 speaker set-up for my new Ultra.

Rob

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 02:30:08 PM »

Hey Jim,

That was great information, thank you very much!  I saw the Hawg web site has very detailed directions on the installation and think I'll try when I pick up my SERG in mid October.  Did you also install an internal antenna?  I've had good luck with the Dakota Digital.  Curious as to your experience.  Thanks again! 

Greg

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2008, 05:22:43 PM »

Any bass in that system?

Rob

wenchal

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRU
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC - SOLD
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2008, 05:29:02 PM »

Can't you use the 2ohm HW speakers with 1 amp then run the rear's with the stock radio when the tour pak is on?  That's what my plan was.

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2008, 05:56:20 PM »

Did you also install an internal antenna?  I've had good luck with the Dakota Digital.  Curious as to your experience.

Greg, I agree with you on the Dakota Digital.  Many people have issues with that one.  I went with a Tune Trapper hidden antenna (http://www.ecshylites.citymax.com/catalog/item/604191/721930.htm).  It had good reviews and is not a powered unit (tuner already has an fm preamp).  I've found it works a bit better than the external stock antenna.   No problems at all with it and it's only $40. 

FYI, if you guys have issues with a hidden antenna, you can actually connect two antennas at the same time using a Motorola Y-adapter (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=265-584).  You can then remove the stock antenna when you don't need it and screw it back in when you do.  I haven't needed to do this yet, but will if I have distant reception problems with the TT. 

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2008, 06:14:10 PM »

Jim, you're my new CVO stereo consultant / guru!  Thanks again for the info.  I looked at the Tune Trapper 2C2 and it seems like a great option and better price. 

BTW, I'll be in Chicago (Orland Park) the weekend of 9/26-29. Have to attend a Christening on the 27th.  I'm to be a Godfather (not the Italian version).  Would love to see your bike if you're out and about. 

Greg

Sawyer Brown

Biscuit

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2008, 06:30:55 PM »

One more thing I thought of, I read one review that states the CVO Road Glide comes with satalite radio as standard equipment, any truth to that?

MikeD

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2008, 07:16:28 PM »

One more thing I thought of, I read one review that states the CVO Road Glide comes with satalite radio as standard equipment, any truth to that?

no

I wish!

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2008, 07:17:24 PM »

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2008, 08:08:27 PM »

The Hawg-Wired system has decent base response.  Turns out that the Road Glide faring makes a darn good speaker enclosure.  It sounds like a ported enclosure you'd find in a car.  However, the speakers are only 5.5".  They can only do so much.  They are primarily optimized for mid range (vocals) to highs since that is what you can hear at high speed. 

Here's the tech of it... The Effective Frequency Range of the CX504-70's is 60Hz - 20KHz.  To compare this with a subwoofer, which as a typical frequency range of 20Hz - 20KHz.  In other words, the HW speakers basically start where a sub ends. 

FYI, the HW amps do support sub-out if you are so inclined.  You'd just need a dedicated amp to power the sub.  :pepper:

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2008, 08:15:39 PM »

The Hawg-Wired system has decent base response.  Turns out that the Road Glide faring makes a darn good speaker enclosure.  It sounds like a ported enclosure you'd find in a car.  However, the speakers are only 5.5".  They can only do so much.  They are primarily optimized for mid range (vocals) to highs since that is what you can hear at high speed. 

Here's the tech of it... The Effective Frequency Range of the CX504-70's is 60Hz - 20KHz.  To compare this with a subwoofer, which as a typical frequency range of 20Hz - 20KHz.  In other words, the HW speakers basically start where a sub ends. 

FYI, the HW amps do support sub-out if you are so inclined.  You'd just need a dedicated amp to power the sub.  :pepper:

Thats all I need to know! Saw a bike at the Fat Bagger tent when I was having my RG done that had a pair of speakers in the bottom half of each saddle bag. He had one of those flip out stereo's like Puzzled has. That thing sounded bad azz!

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2008, 09:39:21 PM »

Puzzled's system sounds pretty cool.  Would love to see some pics. 

The HW amp's have three settings.  No cross-over, cross-over and sub.  No cross-over just amplify's 100% of the signal that enters it.  This is a waste of the amp.  You only want to send in what you can hear out.  Anything else unnecessarily wastes power.  The amp has a screw that lets you adjust what you want to hear (set to speaker capability).  The sub setting locks the unit in the low range. 

Soon it will be your turn to do a YouTube video! 

monkeyhuey

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2008, 03:37:30 PM »

here's a couple of ideas for those of you that really want to push the limits of sound (and money!)..

check out www.loudlids.com (or www.streetstardesigns.com) - they make saddlebag covers that hold 6 1/2 " speakers without taking up much storage space.  You can get the lids primed for $499, add paint for an additional $175 (one color) - or you can get an entire setup including covers, paint, speakers, amp, wiring harness with quick detach for $1525.  I would think these things would rock!!

Now if you want to juice the entire bass response, check out the Blaupunkt THb 200A 70 watt powered 8" self-contained subwoofer.  It is perfectly sized to fit in a tour pak.!  even a chopped tour pak!! You could easily slide it into a saddle bag as well - maybe custom cut some stryofoam padding or something around it.  The amp sells for $199.99 on crutchfield.com.  Kenwood also make a self-contained powered sub, the KSC-SW10 for $249.99, but I doubt it sounds as good as the Blaupunkt....

I have a '01 FLTRSEI2 - pulling the motor and tranny as we speak - juicing the motor to over 100 HP over the winter, and adding a SE 6-speed tranny.  While I have it all apart, I want to drop in a SONY in dash with a Biketronics wiring kit (www.biketronics.com - so I can use my factory handlebar controls), run the Hawg-Wired speakers and amps, and add the blaupunkt sub.  Pez at HOGTUNES made me a custom pair of rear speaker pods for my chopped tour pak and I currently have them loaded with the J&M speakers, but I'm not a fan of them.  My stock radio can't be helping at all though.  I'm not crazy about the HOGTUNES speakers either - but same story - maybe an after market radio will improve the performance of those...  You can get Hertz speaker through Biketronics and I've heard that hey rival the Hawg-Wired stuff - serioiusly heavy duty magnets!  maybe I'll try those..

BUT - my question is, do I have enough power to run all this stuff?  I believe my bike only puts out 35 amps - newer bikes are 45??  right?  anywa I can 'up'my bike to 45 amps while I haev it all apart?

any help on the electrical implications would be greatly appreciated...

thanks

cola

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »

My Hog-wired showed up. I went with the 4 - speaker setup.
Jim do you think there is room for a sub inside the fairing ????
Thanks, Mike

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2008, 11:54:34 AM »

BUT - my question is, do I have enough power to run all this stuff?  I believe my bike only puts out 35 amps - newer bikes are 45??  right?  anywa I can 'up'my bike to 45 amps while I haev it all apart?

any help on the electrical implications would be greatly appreciated...

thanks

Stock is 38 amp.  You can up to 45 by just changing the rotor.  It'll be apart in your hands with the other work you're describing anyway.  Good source at good price here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110293937639

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2008, 12:57:53 PM »

My Hog-wired showed up. I went with the 4 - speaker setup.
Jim do you think there is room for a sub inside the fairing ????
Thanks, Mike

It would be very tight to put a sub in the faring.  It would have to be very small and you'd probably have to drill holes through the faring to mount it.  You'd probably have more luck mounting it in a saddlebag or tour pack. 

cola

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2008, 12:59:19 AM »

I'm not giving up the storage. The wife brings extras, well me too.
Mike

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2008, 09:05:57 AM »

Mike

Yep, this is why I didn't install a sub.  It would be nice to have a sub, but it is not a have to have component like storage.  We can only put so much on the bike before we take away its versatility.   I don't even like dealing with removable speakers.  The extra wiring, having to store them in a safe place when off of the bike, etc. is a PITA.  My two-speaker HW amp pulls over 100 dbs and it is crystal clear.  I can hear it at any speed and driving condition.  Sure two more speakers would be nice, sure a sub would be nice... However, if I needed all of that stuff I would be customizing a car, not a Motorcycle.   

cola

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2008, 11:30:51 AM »

I added the rear speakers & amps because I'm running a King Tour Pac. It is already drilled for the pods. The HD wiring allows my wife to work the music also.
My painter is working on the paint now, we'll see how it comes out.
Mike

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2008, 02:29:20 PM »

Mike

I just remove mine for the longer trips where we need more storage. I keep it in the trunk.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2008, 04:42:42 AM »

i have the plug and play system with the 2-speaker system set up.  sounds great and plenty loud and clear..   they guys there are great also... will always help.    can't ever be without it.

mtbronco

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG Silver/Titanium
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2009, 11:22:50 AM »

IMHO don't waste your time or money on the Dakota Digital antenna.  I have had two in my 05 and 06 RG and they sucked.  I am going with the Tune Trapper model which costs $40 and it works.  Was just down in AZ a few weeks back and ran into another SERG 09 and he had it, asked what he thought, he loves it.  So we ran out of town about 30 miles and it was still holding strong. 

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2009, 11:29:35 AM »

Stock is 38 amp.  You can up to 45 by just changing the rotor.  It'll be apart in your hands with the other work you're describing anyway.  Good source at good price here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110293937639

Yeah thanks Don, just so your other post RE this the other day, of course right after I bought the HD version of the kit ....................................
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2009, 11:30:13 AM »

Can't quite place it - Tangerine Dream by any chance?

MV 2013

NW_FLSTRSE3_2009

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 O&B
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2009, 09:55:42 AM »

Great job on this thread, you should send it to Hawg Wired for some advertising comp.  The video is what sold me mine.  Mine will be installed tomorrow.  Thanks Jim!
Servin our Country since 1980.
USMC 1980-1992
Since then workin on the border...

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2009, 10:20:16 AM »

Great job on this thread, you should send it to Hawg Wired for some advertising comp.  The video is what sold me mine.  Mine will be installed tomorrow.  Thanks Jim!

Hear that Hawg-Wired?  Show me the $$ ;)  Seriously, the system is excellent.  When I ride with others they can hear the words of the song when cruising behind me -- even on the freeway!  The HW system is awesome.  It doesn't consume a lot of electrical power, the amp is small and easy to mount, the speakers are loud and clear and the install keeps the bike looking stock. 

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2009, 11:33:37 AM »

So the version of Rising Sun  :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

MV 2013

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2009, 11:36:19 AM »

Hear that Hawg-Wired?  Show me the $$ ;)  Seriously, the system is excellent.  When I ride with others they can hear the words of the song when cruising behind me -- even on the freeway!  The HW system is awesome.  It doesn't consume a lot of electrical power, the amp is small and easy to mount, the speakers are loud and clear and the install keeps the bike looking stock. 

Somethings wrong with mine then.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2009, 07:11:57 AM »

I've heard the same thing
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2009, 07:27:32 AM »

Somethings wrong with mine then.
You should have that thing looked at ! :P  :huepfenlol2:
a.k.a  Dent Dude

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2009, 07:28:24 AM »

I've heard the same thing
See above ! :P :huepfenlol2:
a.k.a  Dent Dude

vtyanqui

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SERK Anniversary Model
    • CVO2: 09 SERG "Silver"
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2009, 07:48:26 AM »

Hey Jim - those speakers sound fantastic; not to mention your talent as a photog.  Man if your not in the film business you should be.  Again kudos for a great job and a great looking scoot.

Hope the rain stops soon.

Rob

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2009, 08:48:12 AM »

Hey Jim - those speakers sound fantastic; not to mention your talent as a photog.  Man if your not in the film business you should be.  Again kudos for a great job and a great looking scoot.

Hope the rain stops soon.

Rob

Thanks Rob!

Rain stopped, now it is freezing and the roads are iced over!  I'm ready for spring...

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2009, 10:46:27 AM »

You should have that thing looked at ! :P  :huepfenlol2:

I'm hoping to find a rep at Daytona next week to check my settings and my system. I had a sound place install it for me so I wouldn't have any problems but you never know.  :nixweiss: :)

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2009, 07:36:23 AM »

I keep thinking about the lack of bass with the HW system (I've heard the 150 amp system -- it is loud and clear, but truly lacks bass).

I'm wondering about a couple 6x9's (dedicated to bass response) on the sides of the inner fairing.  The speakers would face the triple tree.  Would that work?  Or does HW make another set of speakers, with good bass response, to mount in that same inner fairing location?

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2009, 08:11:31 AM »

I keep thinking about the lack of bass with the HW system (I've heard the 150 amp system -- it is loud and clear, but truly lacks bass).

I'm wondering about a couple 6x9's (dedicated to bass response) on the sides of the inner fairing.  The speakers would face the triple tree.  Would that work?  Or does HW make another set of speakers, with good bass response, to mount in that same inner fairing location?

I looked at that location as well.  You may be able to get away with this, but the glove box and the faring engine mount are located in that area.  The magnet and speaker footprint would have to be somewhat small.  You also have to mount the amp in the faring somewhere.  I put mine on the right side basically where you are looking to place a speaker.  You could probably do one speaker and get a small amp that has 4 outputs to save space -- wiring two of them to power a small sub. 

That said, however, it probably isn't going to do what you want.  Subs needs to be enclosed around you or very powerful (300 watts or more) to hear on a bike.  Convertibles have the same issues. Most small speakers cannot handle this much power. 

If bass is critical, then I would recommend changing the main fairing speakers to components.  You can find good 5-1/4" 4 ohm marine speakers that do not have a tweeter mounted in them -- crutchfield.com is a good place to look.  Alpine has some nice component marine speakers.  Then locate the tweeters so they point toward the rider.  It will be a lot easier to relocate a tweeter than to mount a sub.  You could then get a 4 speaker 300 Watt amp (4x75) and bridge the connections.  This will push 150 watt/channel to the front speakers.  Install a good crossover and bypass the one on the amp to fine tune the output.  This will get you rocking hard with loads more bass.  Not a sub, but it will make a material difference.   

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2009, 04:30:22 AM »

All right, after much waffling back & forth between going cheaper with the Hog Tunes, or going big with the Hawg Wired... I went with the go-big or stay home theory!

I've got the DCS/SX Direct Connect headed to my dealer for install! Can't wait to hear it in person!  :bananarock:

All right, I've had a change of heart... I am only going to have 4 days with my bike, and then have to put it into storage for up to 6 months... so I don't want to do anythign that might delay me getting to get on it and get some miles on it. If anything went wrong, I'd miss picking it up on Saturday, and then not be able to get it until Tuesday... and fly back to Japan Wed night.

So I emailed Hawg Wired and asked if I could cancel my order, since it hasn't even processed yet. Hopefully they will hook me up.

My ulitimate plan is to get with a GPS that does Bluetooth/music/cell phone, and get a stereo bluetooth helmet. So if that works out, I probably won't use my external speakers too often. We'll see how it goes... but for now, no HW for me...  :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 07:17:33 AM by Crusty »

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2009, 09:19:29 AM »

I had some fun with my HW system yesterday.  I was at a light and the car beside me was playing their boom-boom music.  When I stopped they looked at me with contempt (they didn't appear to be classic rock fans). They then turned up their radio and gave me the look as if they were schooling me on proper music selection.  I proceeded to crank HW blowing their stereo away!  They kept reaching for their volume, but couldn't hear the music inside of their car.  They had to roll up the windows.  Love it !!

:carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2009, 10:07:24 AM »

I had some fun with my HW system yesterday.  I was at a light and the car beside me was playing their boom-boom music.  When I stopped they looked at me with contempt (they didn't appear to be classic rock fans). They then turned up their radio and gave me the look as if they were schooling me on proper music selection.  I proceeded to crank HW blowing their stereo away!  They kept reaching for their volume, but couldn't hear the music inside of their car.  They had to roll up the windows.  Love it !!

:carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

Thats too funny! Finally had mine readjusted and removed the bass speaker from the trunk. Sounds like it should now..... (but I still want the bass!!!)  :cucumber:

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2009, 06:11:04 PM »

So I emailed Hawg Wired and asked if I could cancel my order, since it hasn't even processed yet. Hopefully they will hook me up.

Hawg Wired cancelled my order quickly & easily! While I'll go with HD Dude when I decide to make the upgrade, I figured I'd pass along the good feedback for the folks at HW!
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.785 seconds with 21 queries.