Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: need tips for wiring accessory  (Read 1287 times)

RYANCVO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 O/B SE ROADGLIDE
need tips for wiring accessory
« on: January 10, 2009, 01:46:42 PM »

need any help. i am about to install my satalite radio on my 09 serg. what would be the best place to tie electrical in? is there an open fuse in fuse box?  would like it to come on with sterio or when bikes switch is on. also how is everyone running there aux input wire. any pics would help. thanks

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: need tips for wiring accessory
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 12:51:47 AM »

For power you can come off the cig lighter circuit or the orange/white wire that is tapped back with the headlamp lead. There is also a black ground wire there as well..

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 08:18:02 PM »

need any help. i am about to install my satalite radio on my 09 serg. what would be the best place to tie electrical in? is there an open fuse in fuse box?  would like it to come on with sterio or when bikes switch is on. also how is everyone running there aux input wire. any pics would help. thanks

HD-Dude is right on.  Tie into the cigar lighter or the daytime running light lead that runs up to the headlight.  It is not used on American bikes.  The only difference is the cigar lighter will be powered when the ignition is in on and in accessory.  The headlight power lead will not be on when the ignition is in the accessory position.  The cigar lighter is probably the easiest place to tap in. It just has a spade connector.  Just cut it and crimp two wires into the spade and you''re set (spade connectors are available at Radio Shack).  Forget about running all the way to the fuse box.  It's a pain getting under the fuel tank and there isn't an open slot when you get there. 

I ran my accessory lead down the handlebar and up to the radio.  I wire tied it at one point, but ended up removing them.  I store the lead in the saddlebag when I'm not using it. 

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 09:19:17 PM »

HD-Dude is right on.  Tie into the cigar lighter or the daytime running light lead that runs up to the headlight.  It is not used on American bikes.  The only difference is the cigar lighter will be powered when the ignition is in on and in accessory.  The headlight power lead will not be on when the ignition is in the accessory position.  The cigar lighter is probably the easiest place to tap in. It just has a spade connector.  Just cut it and crimp two wires into the spade and you''re set (spade connectors are available at Radio Shack).  Forget about running all the way to the fuse box.  It's a pain getting under the fuel tank and there isn't an open slot when you get there. 

I ran my accessory lead down the handlebar and up to the radio.  I wire tied it at one point, but ended up removing them.  I store the lead in the saddlebag when I'm not using it. 

The Head lamp lead (orange-white) that is not used on the non international models IS powered in the Acc position......There is also a ground right there and you can use insulated male spade connectors to tie into them. Also if your device that is being connected does not have an weather tight in-line fuse its a good idea to add one here

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 09:48:11 PM »

The Head lamp lead (orange-white) that is not used on the non international models IS powered in the Acc position......

Didn't realize the daytime running lights are designed to be on in accessory as well.  Good info.  Thank you,

RYANCVO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 O/B SE ROADGLIDE
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 10:32:37 AM »

anyone running an fm modulator. little scared about voiding warrentee on radio by opening up to add rear aux imput. is anyone running fm modulator. which one

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 22 queries.