Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Watch out Harley here comes Indian  (Read 5815 times)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: Watch out Harley here comes Indian
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2019, 07:33:19 PM »

After adding options - a nice feature but looked like they were added at full price? - price went from $28,200 to $34,500.  No allowance for take off parts?  Or just charging full price from the factory because they can?  Doesn't matter to me.  The Indian RG is not anything I would want & am not a fan.   
That's the Darkhorse edition.

Here's Indian's website. Looks like entry level is at $22k.

https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/challenger/
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

mark

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2019, 08:54:50 PM »

After adding options - a nice feature but looked like they were added at full price? - price went from $28,200 to $34,500.  No allowance for take off parts?  Or just charging full price from the factory because they can?  Doesn't matter to me.  The Indian RG is not anything I would want & am not a fan.
I'm not sure I understand your post.  You took the Challenger MSRP and then started adding items from their parts catalog and are surprised at how much those add-ons increased the cost.  Then you mention no discount for take off parts.  I've never seen a feature on a manufacturer's site that allowed a discount for turning in stock parts.  Ive never had this offered by any dealer either...just a discount on new parts.  What would a dealer do with take off parts (stock a/c, slip-ons, etc), there's no market for them.

Just curious, if you went to the HD website, looked up the cost of a RGS ($27,299), added the features you selected for the Challenger, would the website show a discount for turning in replaced parts?  Also, what would the cost of the RG be if you added the same items you selected for the Challenger?  Let's make sure we're comparing apples to apples.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2019, 10:29:38 PM »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2019, 11:33:00 PM »

I'm not sure I understand your post.  You took the Challenger MSRP and then started adding items from their parts catalog and are surprised at how much those add-ons increased the cost.  Then you mention no discount for take off parts.  I've never seen a feature on a manufacturer's site that allowed a discount for turning in stock parts.  Ive never had this offered by any dealer either...just a discount on new parts.  What would a dealer do with take off parts (stock a/c, slip-ons, etc), there's no market for them.

Just curious, if you went to the HD website, looked up the cost of a RGS ($27,299), added the features you selected for the Challenger, would the website show a discount for turning in replaced parts?  Also, what would the cost of the RG be if you added the same items you selected for the Challenger?  Let's make sure we're comparing apples to apples.

These are not "take off parts" because they are added on the initial order of the MC.  Not taken off if they are OE parts added with the website "Build" feature.

Not surprised at the cost, I ride with several friends who have Indians, they are at HD level and higher as to accessory cost.  Just made a comment above on how they do their parts additions - a nice option - and the way they do this it's a very profitable one for them as well.  Indian took HD's prices and decided + was better. 

As to what the cost of a HD is compared to an Indian RG it cannot be apples to apples - the 2 bikes have different features, are different bikes, and as a rider am not interested in purchasing either one. 

This remains an HD website, Indians have their own websites and are filled with their fans.  To me Indian is a curiosity and their value as I see it is to hopefully push HD as a competitor.  I do not like the styling or the ride or anything on any Indian enough to consider a purchase.  Others feel differently, to each their own.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 11:57:24 PM by iski »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 08:06:59 AM »

The Challenger is miles ahead of the road glide which it copied from HD  :huepfenlol2: this bike alone should bring HD's design staff heads out their ass. Hate to see the price of their version of The Challenger.

I'm waiting for one to hit my local dealer for an extended test ride, not just around the block, and see for myself. I predict it's a winner BWTFDIK.  :drink:

Not sure what a tattoo artist can do with my bar & shield on the side of my neck.   :D

Just Ride!
Wut the hell was that maneuver

ultrarider123

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 09:15:21 AM »

It will be more interesting to see one in person.  No matter whether you like it or not, it's a big step.  So far I like the look and specifications sheet.  Hope it does well for Indian and is used to revitalize something in the MoCo besides the Livewire... ;D

GQ_Knuckle_Draggerz

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2019, 09:23:12 AM »

If you think it looks familiar, you’re probably right.  There’s your 1st take-off part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2019, 09:40:43 AM »

These are not "take off parts" because they are added on the initial order of the MC.  Not taken off if they are OE parts added with the website "Build" feature.

Not surprised at the cost, I ride with several friends who have Indians, they are at HD level and higher as to accessory cost.  Just made a comment above on how they do their parts additions - a nice option - and the way they do this it's a very profitable one for them as well.  Indian took HD's prices and decided + was better. 

As to what the cost of a HD is compared to an Indian RG it cannot be apples to apples - the 2 bikes have different features, are different bikes, and as a rider am not interested in purchasing either one. 

This remains an HD website, Indians have their own websites and are filled with their fans.  To me Indian is a curiosity and their value as I see it is to hopefully push HD as a competitor.  I do not like the styling or the ride or anything on any Indian enough to consider a purchase.  Others feel differently, to each their own.
From what you've posted, are you misreading the Indian website?  You can't order or buy a new Indian with any of the parts shown on their website.  Just like HD, you'd have to buy the stock bike and then get the add-ons separately.  Regarding your other comments, the reason this thread is of interest on a HD site is because IM is HD's main competition now.  Go to an IM or BMW website and you'll see discussion about HDs.  Nevertheless, this new Challenger should be a wake-up call for HD to step up their game ASAP...they have nothing, including CVOs, that compete with the Challenger, FTR, or even the Scout.  This is Indian's third water-cooled bike with 100+ HP...they seem to be leading the way on domestic bike manufacturing.  The rumor is IM will be introducing a naked sport bike and adventure model based on the FTR platform...tick tock HD, tick tock...       

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2019, 12:02:08 PM »

From what you've posted, are you misreading the Indian website?  You can't order or buy a new Indian with any of the parts shown on their website.  Just like HD, you'd have to buy the stock bike and then get the add-ons separately.  Regarding your other comments, the reason this thread is of interest on a HD site is because IM is HD's main competition now.  Go to an IM or BMW website and you'll see discussion about HDs.  Nevertheless, this new Challenger should be a wake-up call for HD to step up their game ASAP...they have nothing, including CVOs, that compete with the Challenger, FTR, or even the Scout.  This is Indian's third water-cooled bike with 100+ HP...they seem to be leading the way on domestic bike manufacturing.  The rumor is IM will be introducing a naked sport bike and adventure model based on the FTR platform...tick tock HD, tick tock...     

When I saw the Build option I figured Indian was offering factory customization - something that a lot of folks have wished was available for a long time.   My mistake, if they offered that they could really boost sales #s.

Anyway, have said here & elsewhere that I am interested in Indian - as a competitor to HD but not as a customer.  I already visit other websites and am well aware of the fanboy status that Indian is enjoying as well as the usual suspects who enjoy dumping on Harley - the dumping which Harley has earned & continues to earn by it's flatfootedness in the marketplace.  I have test ridden Indians & looked them over carefully.  Pass.

As to HD stepping up their game - I expect they will do something but looking at the MoCos latest moves am not sure if that will be a step up or a step down.  They seem to be mostly clueless at the corporate level & as long as the same Inspector Gadgets remain in charge there I would expect that cluelessness to continue.  No reason to see why HD will not continue to lose sales and give up market share & Indian will get their slice of that pie as will others.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2019, 08:58:19 PM »

It will be more interesting to see one in person.  No matter whether you like it or not, it's a big step.  So far I like the look and specifications sheet.  Hope it does well for Indian and is used to revitalize something in the MoCo besides the Livewire... ;D
I will definitely give the Challenger a very good look when its time to trade my CVO road glide.  If its as good as its spec sheet, its a winner. 

That said I have been looking hard at the FTR 1200S.  Its quite the bike. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2019, 10:16:56 AM »

Real rear wheel horsepower and torque off Jett Tuning’s dyno, 113.3 lb-ft of torque at 3,500 rpm and 107.6 horsepower at 5,600 rpm, with redline at 6,500 rpm
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

ultrarider123

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2019, 12:56:46 PM »

I will definitely give the Challenger a very good look when its time to trade my CVO road glide.  If its as good as its spec sheet, its a winner. 

Very nice looker in person (and sounds good with different pipes, too) but too tall in the saddle for my short legs.  Vickie likes the dark red/charcoal color combo... ;D

mark

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2019, 09:34:24 AM »

The FTR is a nice, well engineered bike.  The only two minor concerns are the seat height (it's taller than similar bikes, so those 5'9 or shorter may not be able to flat foot the bike while seated) and if you're going to push the twisties, a set of street tires would be better than the faux flat tracker tires that come standard.  I just bought a Ducati Monster 1200S, if the FTR is anything like that, strap on...you're in for one heck of a fast ride.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2019, 03:30:36 PM »

Interesting new video. The Challenger has a governor at 112 MPH. I wonder why?

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2019, 04:31:03 PM »

Interesting new video. The Challenger has a governor at 112 MPH. I wonder why?

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

My guess is tires - speed rating.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 25 queries.