Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I test drove the 2011 CVO Convertible  (Read 2195 times)

kerdmann

• Prayer Works

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
I test drove the 2011 CVO Convertible
« on: April 18, 2011, 08:34:33 PM »

Looking to trade in my 2008 Dyna Screamin Eagle w/V&H Big Radius pipes. My bike looks and runs great but I could not talk my wife into getting her own bike because she likes to ride on back rather than drive. Dyna's really are a one person bike so I thought I would check out the CVO convertible. I have been wrestling with the dealer and I have gotten the price down as low as I can. Now before I buy I would like to get some input from the experts (the ones who own them know). I have been reading as many of the threads as I can but still have some questions.

When I test drove the 2011 the first thing I noticed was how difficult it was to find neutral. I supposed it was because the bike was new. What do you think?
For my height the windshield is worthless because the air flows over the windshield and directly into my face. I would need to do just like many of the others have done and change it. I thought about getting two different sizes. One shorty for summer use and one about 6-8 inches taller than what comes with the bike for cold weather use. What do you think? I also know several bikers who prefer the windshields with the little wickerbill on the top of the windshield. Does anyone have one for the 2011 convertible?
After reading many of the threads I am now concerned about the bags falling off. Has it been determined that the problem is simply forgetting to secure them or is there a defect in the clips?
Most importantly, how is the ride for the passenger? If mommy snot happy nobody is happy.
How does the sound system sound at highway speeds?
I appreciat any help you can give me.

Smoker1

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
Re: I test drove the 2011 CVO Convertible
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:29:54 PM »

My Convertible is a 2010, but i don't think there are enough differences between mine and the 2011 to render my oppinions useless.  ;D
As for the windshield, I am easily looking over the top of the factory one but am still pleased with the performance of it. But before this bike I had no desire for a windshield so anything is an improvement over what I've been riding with.
 My wife and I take 600 - 800 mile weekend trips on my convertible at least once a month through Spring, Summer and Fall and she is extremely comfortable on it, and so am I! And I wouldnt describe us as a young petite couple either!  ;D
 I added the H-D sound system to mine which is very similar to the one that comes as original equipment on the 2011 and I am very pleased with it! The sound is great up to 65 mph, and really good up to 75 mph. After 75 you may as well turn it off!
Overall after owning mine since July of last year and putting 7500 miles on it since then, my wife and I are very pleased!!

Mount'nman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE2 (Sold)
    • CVO2: FXSBSE (2014)
    • Family Web Site
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 11:59:36 PM »

I have a FLSTSE2... The shifting problem you mentioned is the fault of the shift linkage rod.. it has ball and race joint on each end and the ball is pressed into the race way too hard...  I have checked the joints on a few new cvo bikes and all are that way...  I took the rod off and pressed the ball against a socket in my vice... just a little pressure on each side of each end...  Got it so I can rotate the ball in the race with my fingers but no side to side slop... now the bike shifts like a Harley!  

I find that the wind screen keeps the wind off my chest but I get my hair ruffled.. I like that so no complaints but a long trip might be too much.  Same for the seat.. after two hours I find it uncomfortable... I'm ordering a seat from Corbin soon.  I can not see how the small passenger pillion would work for long trips either.

The problem with the bags is that the locking lever MUST come up to the full horizontal position and often, it the bag is not pushed all the way forward in the clips, the lock moves up but not all the way... it should snap smartly as it seats and the black plastic knob pops into the locked position. the knob should not turn unless you pull it out first.

It's a cool bike but it's no touring bike... IMO  

Ride ON!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 12:05:16 AM by Mount'nman »
Bike... and family protected by Ruger

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 06:38:07 AM »

Windshield needs to be taller, even if the buffeting misses you it will hit your mommy right in the face. Going 4" taller on mine.
Seat is good for small trips with stops, the Sundowner two up or Corbin will fix this.
Neutral find will loosen up and be just fine.
Mount'nman is correct the ball / socket is way too tight and makes shifting hard.
I don't use the sound system so no comment on that.

IMO..... there is nothing wrong with the bags. The problem is that no one (MOCO or Dealer) takes the time to center all the washers / spacers on the mounts AND align them with the locks so that the locks slid in smooth and easy. Once this is done the bags and locks work perfectly. It's very easy to do and takes about 20 minutes to do all 4 mount locations. Once this is done the locks work like they are supposed to. If this is not done and the lock work hard..... they might not "snap" into the final locking position. If the owners have never seen them in the correct locking possition they might not even know that they are not working correctly and the bags could fall off.

In my opinion, this is not a great touring bike but it is a great "sport touring" bike.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 03:44:13 PM »

getting into neutral is not perfect but it is getting better at 2500km,s , i tend to put it into neutral while rolling to a stop at lights,
windscreen is perfect for me as i am 5,6,, and i rode without a screen for the last 15 years, love the sound system but have to remem,ber to turn the i pod off as no power comes to it

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 01:20:33 PM »

After owning several Fatboys and setting them up for touring, the ConV was a natural step for me.  I had an '09 Ultra inbetween my last Fatboy and my ConV.  I thought the Ultra was OK but my wife did not like it.  She loves the ConV.  I got the King size windshield and a bigger backrest for long trips and we are totally comfortable.  I added a luggage rack so we use the Saddlemen bag for all our clothes and gear.  Sell the Dyna and buy the Convertible.  You and your wife will love it.

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 22 queries.