Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Knocking from primary  (Read 2046 times)

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2016 SE Streetglide
Knocking from primary
« on: September 11, 2018, 09:54:33 PM »

Ever since I installed my 117 kit my primary has had a loud knock at idle. It  runs great with no other ill effects, but it sounds awful at idle! I don’t recall it making this  noise  when it was a stock 110.

vtwinjim

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
Re: Knocking from primary
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 11:14:46 PM »

Twin Cams had issues with getting enough load from the compensator nut.
It would bottom out before loading the compensator. Had it happen to mine after a repair.
Dull knock at idle coming from front of primary case is typical symptom.

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 06:00:00 AM »

Twin Cams had issues with getting enough load from the compensator nut.
It would bottom out before loading the compensator. Had it happen to mine after a repair.
Dull knock at idle coming from front of primary case is typical symptom.

In attempt to help the OP, what was done to fix this?
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 08:05:08 AM »

The thread locking compound Harley uses must be completely cleaned from the internal threads as well as the bolt threads before installing the compensator bolt with fresh thread locking compound.  Otherwise you will reach the specified torque on the bolt before you achieve the correct clamping load, due to the old hardened thread locker.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2016 SE Streetglide
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 08:56:55 PM »

My comp wasn’t taken apart during the motor work. R and R cycle did mention on washer/spacer but when I brought it in to them their tech must have been in a rush and never did it. Have people had success with this?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 08:35:48 AM »

My comp wasn’t taken apart during the motor work. R and R cycle did mention on washer/spacer but when I brought it in to them their tech must have been in a rush and never did it. Have people had success with this?

He may have been referring to the flat needle bearing "washer" Harley uses on the latest compensator version instead of the old simple thrust washer.  The new part tends to be noisier than the old simple washer, and many folks have changed back to the older part.  However, if your bike didn't have this knocking problem before the work was done, and if they didn't take the compensator bolt out, I don't see how the thrust washer could be your problem.  You need to verify if they changed the washer or not, if they did then in fact they had to remove the crank bolt and it's possible they didn't remove all the old thread locker as mentioned previously.

Another issue I've seen mentioned after having engine work done is the tune.  If the idle is too low and/or rough, it can cause a knocking type of noise in the primary or trans at idle.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 25 queries.