Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1000 Mile Service  (Read 2190 times)

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide (Hard Candy Mercury)
1000 Mile Service
« on: September 05, 2016, 05:20:43 PM »

So am at 909 miles and thinking about doing my own 1000 miles service as opposed to 400.00 for the dealer to do.  I'm sure this subject has been beaten to death already but is there a good reason to just suck it up for the 1st service and let the dealer do it.  I always think about if they actually do what they promise and will they handle my bike like I do? 
Lastly, since I don't have the service manual, is there a list of things for me to buy if I go it alone?
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo
and 20 others I can't remember....

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
Re: 1000 Mile Service
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 05:41:38 PM »

Me personally.... I get trying to save a few bucks, but a few bucks isn't worth my life and safety.  I chalk it up to the cost of owning the motorcycle...  I replace tires at 10K and get all my services done through the dealership.  Yes, I know they are ripping me off, but on the flip side, if anything goes wrong they cant say you didn't get "certified" services, etc.  There's a track record of all operations completed in the database.

I have the ESP and Tire & Wheel warranty that have paid for themselves 20X over (particularly with my 2010 Road King when they replaced the transmission)...I just think its worth it!

Its an "expensive" thought process... but again, just my humble opinion!

Ride on my friend!
2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 06:11:00 PM »

I've got 30k on my bike and I've never let Harley touch it other than a couple warranty issues and a few tires. I do all my own maintenance and it's very easy to do, especially with a manual. If you like throwing your money away pay a dealer.  :2vrolijk_21:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 07:23:30 PM »

So am at 909 miles and thinking about doing my own 1000 miles service as opposed to 400.00 for the dealer to do.  I'm sure this subject has been beaten to death already but is there a good reason to just suck it up for the 1st service and let the dealer do it.  I always think about if they actually do what they promise and will they handle my bike like I do? 
Lastly, since I don't have the service manual, is there a list of things for me to buy if I go it alone?

The first thing you should do is to buy the service manual.  Without the manual, it's a bit like baking a cake without a recipe or instructions.  You might figure changing the oil and filter is so simple even the high school dropouts at Jiffy Lube can do it.  Well, many of them have been known to screw up peoples cars when they really didn't know what they were doing.  You need the manuals for the instructions on what to check, how to check it, torque specs for everything from drain plugs to those "critical fasteners" that are supposed to be checked during prep and then at every subsequent service interval, etc.  It's not just a simple fluid change if you want it done right.  Unfortunately at many dealerships that's all you actually get for your $400 to $550 first service.  Fluids changed and the belt tension adjusted, then possibly a quick wash job at some places.

To give you an idea of how important I think it is to have the manuals in hand, I'm a degreed automotive engineer who spent years as a field service engineer and service rep helping dealerships before moving on to the manufacturing side of the business.  I've worked on all my own vehicles since the age of sixteen.  And I don't work on anything, vehicles, appliances, you name it, without first getting the manual.

You will need all the standard hand tools, and some tasks are made easier with a few specialized wrenches.  For instance adjusting the rear belt tension means loosening the rear axle, and unless you want to remove the muffler you might want a special wrench designed for the purpose that works with the muffler installed.  Those are the things you learn as you go.  You also need a belt tension gauge to accurately measure and set belt tension.  How about an oil filter wrench to remove the filter?  How about torque wrenches, ft-lb and in-lb?

If you know anyone at that dealership you can trust, see if they can recommend a good tech who will do the job by the book.  See if he will let you watch.  Then decide if you want to buy the tools so you can do future services yourself.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 07:38:57 PM »

If you know anyone at that dealership you can trust, see if they can recommend a good tech who will do the job by the book.  See if he will let you watch.  Then decide if you want to buy the tools so you can do future services yourself.

JMHO - Jerry

Oh my wouldn't this be a treat. Haven't met one yet.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 07:48:32 PM »

Oh my wouldn't this be a treat. Haven't met one yet.

;D  Yeah, but there is always a chance.  The odds aren't good I agree.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 08:33:56 PM »

i just do my own services, its like grc says its a matter of having the tools and the skill set, the owners manual has most of what you need to check and adjust, and specs and such you can find on the web
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 08:51:56 PM »

""" I replace tires at 10K and get all my services done through the dealership.""""

Can I have them?

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 09:37:30 PM »

You need to order the manual....no doubt about that. Other than that if your mechanically inclined--and I think we had this talk--the service is not hard at all. Call me if you want the list of what to buy.

Mike

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide (Hard Candy Mercury)
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 10:11:30 PM »

You need to order the manual....no doubt about that. Other than that if your mechanically inclined--and I think we had this talk--the service is not hard at all. Call me if you want the list of what to buy.

Mike

Thanks Mike.  I believe the service manual is a great ideas to have.  And thanks grc as well!
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo
and 20 others I can't remember....

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.