Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TPMS Digital Tire Pressure Gauging (Sport CVO Cruisers)  (Read 682 times)

Jcarl08

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
    • SPIARTSgraphics
TPMS Digital Tire Pressure Gauging (Sport CVO Cruisers)
« on: March 21, 2019, 08:12:57 AM »

About eight months ago I saw a TPMS monitoring system flashed across my iMac. My cars have these digital systems mounted in the wheels, which works well until your tire need servicing and the technician and service center are responsible and guarantee their work.  This is a big problem in cars.  What was I thinking?  When this flashed on my iMac it was for motorcycles and the free download App for the iPhone.  I was sold and put it on my CVO.  The cap sensors and app worked great for several months. Once I became dependent on the digital sensors over several months the App no longer worked.  When Apple drops an App there is a problem.  Online I found a digital monitoring system that mounts on the motorcycle.  Great, I attempt to remove the previous cap and discovered it was fused to the stem.  I used the lock wrench that came with the sensory caps.  It was locked and the stem and cap turned together.  It is possible I locked it beyond what was necessary. The tire stem became detached as I turned the cap in my frustration with the process.  The only good thing about this process is I started on the front tire.  When I removed the sensor the valve was no longer operational.  I removed the tire.  I carried the tire to the dealer and replace the stem.  A good thing It was the front tire and the cost was less than $10.  When this happen to my or your car no one excepts the blame.  A dealership service center is ready to charge a fee to replace the monitoring system. The lesson for the motorcyclist, tradition has its place. I am back to HD caps.
Jcarl
• I picked up my pal October 12, 2007
This is my slogan coined years ago, "I love to ride and ride what I love" I am an artist and photographer down in Houston, Texas that loves the two wheel experience.

ultrarider123

Re: TPMS Digital Tire Pressure Gauging (Sport CVO Cruisers)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 08:34:00 AM »

I'm not sure what brand or system you were using but I've had the Fobo fobs on two different bikes now along with their app on two different phones and except for having to replace the battery in the fobs a couple times, fobs and app works great.  It still doesn't take the place of physically checking the pressure but it sure is nice having something showing pressure (and alarming when it gets below a set point) when stopped for quick refuel or rest.

Sometimes teknalagy is your friend instead of the devil it can be... :)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 10:07:28 AM »

NO monitoring system is a substitute for actually checking the pressure with a gauge you trust on a regular basis. The monitoring system should only be used as a "Monitor" and to warn you of a problem instantly when a puncture etc occurs while riding. I assume the caps for your system were aluminum and you screwed them on, they bonded to the valve stems over time and the threads "stuck". This happens all the time with aluminum decorative caps on cars bonding to the alloy stems. If you don't remove them occasionally they will stick and ruin the stems. If you do intend to not remove the caps on a regular basis, use just a touch of Never-Sieze on the threads when installing them, otherwise they will stick. Ever wonder why all OE valve caps are rubber/plastic?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 04:07:05 PM »

NO monitoring system is a substitute for actually checking the pressure with a gauge you trust on a regular basis. The monitoring system should only be used as a "Monitor" and to warn you of a problem instantly when a puncture etc occurs while riding. I assume the caps for your system were aluminum and you screwed them on, they bonded to the valve stems over time and the threads "stuck". This happens all the time with aluminum decorative caps on cars bonding to the alloy stems. If you don't remove them occasionally they will stick and ruin the stems. If you do intend to not remove the caps on a regular basis, use just a touch of Never-Sieze on the threads when installing them, otherwise they will stick. Ever wonder why all OE valve caps are rubber/plastic?

^^^^^^ What he said! ^^^^^^

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 05:57:58 PM »

TPMS is built into the new cvo's, I check mine every time I ride. Its usually within a couple of psi when cold whenever I've had to put air in the tires and checked with a digital tire guage.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 24 queries.