Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GPS FOR Orange Crush  (Read 1592 times)

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
GPS FOR Orange Crush
« on: July 19, 2017, 09:05:37 AM »

All right Gang!! I need your sage advice!!!

I have never had a GPS unit on any bike, relying all these years instead on Hillbilly GPS which is kinda like turn left at the place where the big red truck used to sit. I am going to add a GPS unit to my 2014 CVO Road King. I really have no need for blue tooth, as I have no radio or other device to connect with, but understand that most units these days come with that capability.

So my question is what would you buy and why would you buy that particular unit?

2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: GPS FOR Orange Crush
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 09:38:34 AM »

Garmin units are by far and away the most popular. Their current motorcycle specific units are the Zumo 395/595. The Zumo 660/665 have been very popular and while no longer in production you can probably find them.  Get the Road Tech version which was sold by Harley dealers as it has a longer warranty period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 11:39:58 AM »

The only downside I see of the HD RoadTech version (Zumo 595) is it does not support the tire monitoring system unless that has changed recently.  I would have bought one because of the discount you can find with some HD dealers and the warranty.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange (sold 2020)
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 02:25:28 PM »

I had a Zumo 550 and now have a Garmin Road Tech 660 and I loved both of them. I would go with the 660. Seems they are available used every once in awhile on this board and the other one.

barrhill

• barrhil
  • Full CVO Member
    • AB

• CVO1: 2008 CVO RK gold and copper
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO RGC maple
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO RGC mako shark fade
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 06:45:12 PM »

I have  a 590 LM with tpms I love the thing but I see the 595 has a bit nicer screen so much more useful then a the Harley unit built in the new bikes .plus you can take it inside for trip planning
2019 road glide Mako 2012 road glide  in maple , GMR 117,600 gmr cams , fullsac pipes and slipons , S&S crank and oil pump , TTS ,Barnett scorpion , 58mm oval HPI ,DD7   2008 CVO road king in copper with 16 apes ,fullsac baffles, SE tuner

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 07:54:09 PM »

I have  a 590 LM with tpms I love the thing but I see the 595 has a bit nicer screen so much more useful then a the Harley unit built in the new bikes .plus you can take it inside for trip planning

And use it in your car and move it from bike to bike.  I am sure you can update the maps easier and more often at not cost.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 04:20:17 PM »

Mike, like you I road for years using Redneck GPS and road maps. Last year, before heading out to Eureka Springs Arkanas, I bought a Zumo 660LM. Mounted it to my left hand side ( clutch assembly ) with the screws provided with the unit. Love it long time! And when my Speedometer went out, coming back from NMITM, I used the Zumo speedometer.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 04:48:39 PM »

I have  a 590 LM with tpms

My current unit is the same.  Move it all over different bikes or cars.  Works great on the bike.  Best one I've had yet.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 04:52:02 PM »

My current unit is the same.  Move it all over different bikes or cars.  Works great on the bike.  Best one I've had yet.

Though..... come to think of it, the bitch in the box did weird out on me twice during the Arkansas Gathering.  Once with a group of heading north up the back side of the Pig Trail there was a road I knew that she just did not.  She would have had us going an extra 30 miles were it left up to her.  The other was in the after ride with Mike and Travis.  On the way to a motorcycle museum in a little town off the beaten path in Kansas.  About 10 miles from the place she suddenly lost track of where it was.  Just went stupid for about two miles.  It was really really (really) windy that day though.  I'm thinking it temporarily blew her brains out.

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 08:13:06 PM »

I certainly appreciate everyone's responses. I didn't realize just how behind the times I am with the motorcycle GPS thing.

I reckon I'm gonna have to break down and make a donation to Garmin, been looking at the 590, 390 and pre owned 660 online. I'll probably go with the non-road tech because they come with car and bike mounts and I can swap it too the truck.

2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ

National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 10:03:31 PM »

I certainly appreciate everyone's responses. I didn't realize just how behind the times I am with the motorcycle GPS thing.

I reckon I'm gonna have to break down and make a donation to Garmin, been looking at the 590, 390 and pre owned 660 online. I'll probably go with the non-road tech because they come with car and bike mounts and I can swap it too the truck.

Some of the models come in a variant not marked LM.  Be sure and get the LM.  Like 590LM versus just 590.  LM means free lifetime maps.  Don't even know what models anymore don't include the lifetime map updates for free.  Just make sure you don't see something a little cheaper and bite yourself in the butt later.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 10:53:54 PM »

the roadtech versions come with car mounts as well.  as least my 660 did, not sure on the new 590
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 08:04:08 AM »

Been poking around a bit more on the internet and can find refurbished 590lm for $699, 660lm for $449 and 390lm for $349.

In my application without need for some of the more blingy aspects available on the 590lm, am I better off to save $350 and go with the 390lm

Zen Master of Pondering

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 25 queries.