Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011 RGU CVO = 1977 Huffy with Banana Seat  (Read 1797 times)

Mogulbumm

• Tiger Blood and Adonis DNA

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
2011 RGU CVO = 1977 Huffy with Banana Seat
« on: June 30, 2011, 11:10:54 AM »

Just had to vent on this.  I finally got around to doing my Hogtunes amp and lower fairing speaker install.

All I can say is that for 35K+ the front fairing design is a piece of s--t.  It never sits right the first time, you need to really take the headlamps out to see the catch, and then make sure that there are no wires/cables behind the lights, try to weasel those back in, line up the fairing, line up the holes, make sure you don't break the plastic... I thought I was being smart on keeping the windshield on but while putting the fairing back in place one of the windshield bolts got caught on the top of my inner fairing and I have a small scratch (nothing that touch-up and some wet sanding can't cover, but damn!).  Couldn't they design it with some clips, or channels where it lines up and slides back in place or something...

It is a horrendously crappy design. I love the looks, but just made like junk...  I compare it to my 1977 Huffy with a banana seat in terms of quality  ;D
2011 FLTRUSE CVO Rio Red
Fullsac Stage 1 and 2 on Order

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: 2011 RGU CVO = 1977 Huffy with Banana Seat
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »

There are a few threads here about taking the road glide fairing on and off.  Some of us have had the fairing off more than a dozen times without a problem.  It seems to drive others crazy.    It is a question of weight don't forget.  Taking out the headlights does make it easier; especially when you have extra wires and components inside the fairing.  I hope you feel better after venting.  Good luck!

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Mogulbumm

• Tiger Blood and Adonis DNA

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 01:15:38 PM »

There are a few threads here about taking the road glide fairing on and off.  Some of us have had the fairing off more than a dozen times without a problem.  It seems to drive others crazy.    It is a question of weight don't forget.  Taking out the headlights does make it easier; especially when you have extra wires and components inside the fairing.  I hope you feel better after venting.  Good luck!

Lol... it wasn't so much about the on and off.  The threads here have been great (especially the advice to remove the headlights).  I just think the fit and process leaves a lot to be desired, but I do feel better about venting!  I still love my bike though :)  Thanks!
2011 FLTRUSE CVO Rio Red
Fullsac Stage 1 and 2 on Order

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 11:43:40 AM »

Just had to vent on this.  I finally got around to doing my Hogtunes amp and lower fairing speaker install.

All I can say is that for 35K+ the front fairing design is a piece of s--t.  It never sits right the first time, you need to really take the headlamps out to see the catch, and then make sure that there are no wires/cables behind the lights, try to weasel those back in, line up the fairing, line up the holes, make sure you don't break the plastic... I thought I was being smart on keeping the windshield on but while putting the fairing back in place one of the windshield bolts got caught on the top of my inner fairing and I have a small scratch (nothing that touch-up and some wet sanding can't cover, but damn!).  Couldn't they design it with some clips, or channels where it lines up and slides back in place or something...

It is a horrendously crappy design. I love the looks, but just made like junk...  I compare it to my 1977 Huffy with a banana seat in terms of quality  ;D

If you hire a wrench to do this sort of thing for you then you could vent about the cost rather than the struggle  ;)

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 08:51:54 PM »

Mog,

I've also had mine off multiple times...first time it went on first try and I wondered why people had so much trouble with it...the next time I'd spent an hour trying to "stab" it and just walked away before I ended up stomping the thing into the ground!  >:(

I've finally decided finesse is the way to go with a gentle but firm push-lift-and drop...or was it the other way around :nixweiss:

There are dark forces involved indeed :coolblue:

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 24 queries.