Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: V&H Monster Rounds too loud on CVO  (Read 6670 times)

Barmats

• Junior CVO Member
V&H Monster Rounds too loud on CVO
« on: August 06, 2011, 10:59:14 PM »

Hello all - I recently upgraded from a 2011 RGU and had the V&H Power Duals and Monster Rounds moved over to the new bike. I've noticed a lot of right-leg heat on the new bike and know this can be a problem on the 110 motors. But the sound is totally different than what it was on the "old" 103 motor - it's no longer deep and mellow, it's just loud and noisy now. Too loud for me.

I asked the dealer what they'd recommend for the right-leg heat, which is painful at times, and they had me bring it in today to richen the AF mixture. But when I arrived and spoke with one of the techs, he said this wasn't the right approach. He said the pipes and headers were a poor choice for this bike, and were designed for a high compression motor, which this is not. Switching to true duals with a different slip-on would address some or all of the heat issues, and would alter the sound.

They have an in-house version of a fullsac core and header pipes, and I'm considering this. I'm hoping to hear this combo first. I didn't have a chance to test-drive or hear the CVO before I bought it, and have a few questions to ask:

1. What does the stock CVO exhaust sound like? Is it as mild/quiet as the stock RGU exhaust?
2. If I kept the Power Duals and put the stock mufflers back on, would this louder than stock or pretty much the same?
3. Is it possible to remove the cats from the stock muffler? What effect would this have on the sound and heat?

Looking forward to hearing your opinions and recommendations.

2020 CVO Limited

beechflyr

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: Flhtcuse6
Re: V&H Monster Rounds too loud on CVO
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 12:44:32 AM »

'11 CVO ultra. Same heat issues and choked performance.
Step 1 fullsac xpipe tts stock mufflers. Louder than stock mostly
during a load. Heat gone from right leg now at wife's right foot- new choke
point. Some heat from engine when ambient temps are over 80.
Step 2- 2.0 fullsac cores in stock muffler cans. Louder still but nothing like
my friends CVO with jackpot header and monster ovals. I hear him two blocks away driving
Towards me. Heat pretty much gone from exhaust. Still get some from engine
when it's hot outside. Noticeably improved performance even with
Stock cam. Very pleased with result. Hope this helps.

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 12:44:52 AM »

Sell the V&H set up and do this...

http://www.fullsac.com/sleeper-kit-110.html
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 01:19:41 AM »

Yep. The two inch baffles cut the heat and the B header helped even more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

Barmats

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 02:44:05 PM »

Thanks for the info. I've been reading up on the Fullsac product, and it looks interesting. I initially bought the V&H Monster Rounds because I liked the way they looked, and they did sound really nice and mellow on the other bike. I'm willing to go back to a stock look if it solves the heat and sound problems.

It looks like the Fullsac cores require some extensive rework to the OEM mufflers. I didn't see anything on their website which includes a service where they do this work for you. I looked through the link on what's involved, and I'm not sure if it's something I want to try. Has anyone done this themselves and found it to be a fairly straightforward process?

I also see the TTS tuner on the Fullsac website. I bought an SERT for my bike for about $450... I'm sure this can be used to tune the bike if any further intake or exhaust changes are made, but the dealer wants to put it on the dyno every time afterwards to fine-tune it. This ends up costing around $250 or so, depending on how much work is involved. From what I understand, the TTS tuner has multiple maps available for various combinations, and may be a simpler process? Perhaps dyno-ing the bike after changes is always a good thing for optimization, but it gets expensive!

Thoughts on this welcomed!
2020 CVO Limited

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 05:22:03 PM »

I'm sure Fullsac would do the cores for you if you contact them.  But, it's really not that difficult to do, if you just take your time.  If you've got a Dremel tool or even a variable speed drill and a metal grinding tool, it's not hard to do.

For me, the Fullsac X pipe and 2" cores, TTS and the canned map is an excellent combination.  You MIGHT be able to tweak another HP/TQ number or two out of it on a Dyno, but that's not really worth the money for me.  It runs just fine as is.

This will not totally SOLVE the heat issues on the 110...it's just a hot running motor...but it drastically improves the situation.

The SERT is fine, but like you said, it get's expensive to put it on a Dyno every time you change something.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 11:21:44 PM »

Thanks for the info. I've been reading up on the Fullsac product, and it looks interesting. I initially bought the V&H Monster Rounds because I liked the way they looked, and they did sound really nice and mellow on the other bike. I'm willing to go back to a stock look if it solves the heat and sound problems.

It looks like the Fullsac cores require some extensive rework to the OEM mufflers. I didn't see anything on their website which includes a service where they do this work for you. I looked through the link on what's involved, and I'm not sure if it's something I want to try. Has anyone done this themselves and found it to be a fairly straightforward process?I also see the TTS tuner on the Fullsac website. I bought an SERT for my bike for about $450... I'm sure this can be used to tune the bike if any further intake or exhaust changes are made, but the dealer wants to put it on the dyno every time afterwards to fine-tune it. This ends up costing around $250 or so, depending on how much work is involved. From what I understand, the TTS tuner has multiple maps available for various combinations, and may be a simpler process? Perhaps dyno-ing the bike after changes is always a good thing for optimization, but it gets expensive!

Thoughts on this welcomed!

This is Fullsac's install instructions... Right from this site  :2vrolijk_21:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=28086.0
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 11:25:01 PM »

It's not extensive. You can knock it out with a dremel as advised a good drill bit sharpe with self starter tip to hold in place. Easy couple hour job from start to finish.

Basically remove two spot welds and tap out the old drill one hole slide in new and bolt up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

LoneStar CVO

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide Ultra CVO
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 02:59:40 PM »

I recently acquired a 2011 CVO Road Glide and am going with the Fullsac stage 1 setup based on exhaustive reading of the topic here and other places.  It is being delivered today and I hope I can get around to installing it shortly.

But in direct response to your first question - the stock exhaust is real quite - almost Goldwing quite when riding.  I don't hear anything but the wind noise unless I really roll on it.  I'll have to admit, it is nice at times, but it's just too quite.

Can't speak to question #2.  As to question #3 - you can remove the cat but it needs to be cut out and the pipe welded back up.  My dealer actually said they would do it if I requested it for say "racing" purposes, but they recommended a tuner also be done to compensate for the change in the air flow.

I went with Fullsac since it is a dedicated setup and most all here seem to like the results.  I'll post a follow-up once I'm done with it.

Good luck with your process!

Barmats

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 06:14:50 PM »

Is the cat in the header pipe or inside the slip-on(s)? If it's in the header and I keep the V&H Power Duals, I would have to think that putting the stock CVO mufflers back on would give me a little more volume than bone-stock...? Then, I could do the Fullsac cores down the road. I'm sure I would have to retune and dyno for any of these changes.
2020 CVO Limited

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 06:53:33 PM »

the cat is in the head pipe, in the collection tube where they come together
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Barmats

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 08:09:52 PM »

Thanks all for the info. I read through all 21 pages of the "Installing Fullsac Baffles..." and it was pretty interesting. Would welcome any insight on sound quality with the OEM pipes and power duals.
2020 CVO Limited

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 07:01:45 AM »

OEM won't give you ANY sound. now power duals and fullsac 2" baffles is a great combo, but no more than the stock catless head pipe.

Barmats

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 09:00:24 PM »

I called Vance & Hines today and was told that the Monster Rounds are the quietest pipes they make. Anything else, even with quiet baffles, will be louder than what I have. I think the EC (European) pipes may be quieter, but they are not sold here in the US.

So my options are to keep the Power Duals and MO pipes, or put the stock SE mufflers back on with the Power Duals. I think the 2nd option will provide slightly increased sound levels over bone stock but will still be pretty quiet. I'm not sure I'll like that combo.

A question to ask you guys - will a dyno tune make a difference in sound levels? When the dealer installed the pipes, they did not dyno tune the bike - they just loaded the "appropriate" map. I'm hopeful this may bring the sound levels down a bit, not to mention reducing the right-leg heat a bit!
2020 CVO Limited

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 07:36:50 AM »

will a dyno tune make a difference in sound levels?
Nope!

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.