Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best way to lower my FLTRUSE  (Read 5558 times)

Barmats

• Junior CVO Member
Best way to lower my FLTRUSE
« on: September 04, 2011, 09:27:33 PM »

My FLTRUSE is slightly higher than my "old" FLTRU, and with my 32" inseam, I'm slightly on my toes while stopped. I love the seat, which seems to have more padding and hence the higher riding position, and wouldn't want to change it out or reduce the padding. I'm considering the lowering brackets for the rear shocks but am worried about bottoming out or rubbing. I ride 2-up with my wife frequently.

Looking for advice, recommendations or any similar experiences. I'm leaning towards the lowering brackets. Thanks in advance.
2020 CVO Limited

mark z

• 2012 CVO Road Glide Custom Candy Cobalt and Twilight Blue
  • Junior CVO Member

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: Best way to lower my FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 02:28:13 AM »

try a new seat :P

gmills

• Full CVO Member
  • from the new jersey shore
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 04:15:50 AM »

I agree with the new seat. remember if you change the hight you also change the lean angle and will start scraping in some turns you did not before. There are so many seat choices that it should make you more comfortable and keep your handeling
moose aka glenn at the New Jersey Shore

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 08:37:15 PM »

If your pockets are deep enough go with a legends or arnott air shock system. They are the best ride you will ever have and you can adjust the bike as you ride.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

Jerry/MD

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 01:04:13 PM »

My FLTRUSE is slightly higher than my "old" FLTRU, and with my 32" inseam, I'm slightly on my toes while stopped. I love the seat, which seems to have more padding and hence the higher riding position, and wouldn't want to change it out or reduce the padding. I'm considering the lowering brackets for the rear shocks but am worried about bottoming out or rubbing. I ride 2-up with my wife frequently.

Looking for advice, recommendations or any similar experiences. I'm leaning towards the lowering brackets. Thanks in advance.

I'm surprised with a 32" inseam you are on your toes. ??? My inseam is 30" and I'm completely flat-footed when stopped.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 01:22:26 PM »

My 2 cents...Don't lower the bike permanently unless there is no other choice, and if you do, replace the 13" shocks with 12" shocks (NOT HD).  I'd stay away from the brackets...they change the geometry of the rear suspension.  The main thing to know is that with suspension, you almost always get what you pay for, and the second thing to know is that the stock suspension leaves much to be desired.  The BEST way to lower the suspension is with something like Legend or Arnott, as it only lowers it when you need it lowered...otherwise you keep the maximum ground clearance and suspension travel and can adjust the ride on the fly.

With that said, IF you only lower it 1 inch, there is no fear of anything rubbing inside the fender on the rear.  The shock will bottom out first.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 01:47:04 PM »

Here is an option:  I just picked up a set of Suspension Technologies, F-Tech 120CC 12” Shocks with Chrome Springs and Chrome Spring Cups from hd-dude / Jim at Metal Dragon in San Leandro, CA.  He recommended them over Progressive though he recommended the Progressive Monotubes for the front.  Easy install and the rear shocks will lower the bike by 9/16" (due to the angle of the shocks).  Very nice ride /handling and my BSR loves them.  Jim gives a discount to CVO members and ST is a great firm.

BTW, you don't need to get the chrome...  can't see them anyway. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 01:51:41 PM »

Here is an option:  I just picked up a set of Suspension Technologies, F-Tech 120CC 12” Shocks with Chrome Springs and Chrome Spring Cups from hd-dude / Jim at Metal Dragon in San Leandro, CA.  He recommended them over Progressive though he recommended the Progressive Monotubes for the front.  Easy install and the rear shocks will lower the bike by 9/16" (due to the angle of the shocks).  Very nice ride /handling and my BSR loves them.  Jim gives a discount to CVO members and ST is a great firm.

BTW, you don't need to get the chrome...  can't see them anyway. 

If Jim recommends them, that's good enough for me.  They look like a well made product, and a great alternative to some other brands out there.   :2vrolijk_21:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 06:50:14 PM »

I bought a pair from Jim.  I love em.  Great ride and really handle well.  I notice the diffence.   :2vrolijk_21:

Barmats

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 09:47:11 PM »

Thanks for all of your recommendations. The F-Tech shocks seem relatively inexpensive and I'll probably pick up a black set For $490. The Arnott or Legend shocks look really nice but a bit spendy.

I'm not sure why my 32" inseam doesn't let me flat-foot on this bike. Its better with riding boots (1" heel), but I tend to sit further back in the seat where it's slightly wider and more padded.
2020 CVO Limited

AR4CE

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 06:19:56 PM »

I switched to a pair of cvo street glide shocks the day i bought the bike. I needed it asap amd its what they had in stock. 4k miles no issues and im flat footed

CTcvorider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2010 R1200RT
    • CVO3: 1985 Ducati MHR Mille
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 12:59:18 PM »

At 5'6", I have a 28" inseam.  I previously owned an 08 CVO Ultra which I had lowered by replacing rear shocks with 12" and the HD progressive fork spring setup that lowers the front 1".  My RGUSE felt slightly taller but I was never impressed with the 12" shocks, so this time around I did the same with the front forks, but replaced the rear shocks with the HD Premium Tour Shocks.  These are hand adjustable - no air.  They've been great.  The ride feels slightly stiffer than air shocks but handling is improved.  I think the seat is so comfortable that I wouldn't mess with it one bit.

BTW, this amount of lowering has little or no effect on cornering clearance.  I drag the floorboards about the same amount with or without the lowering.  You'd probably only notice the difference if you took your bike to a track day (which this bike is clearly not the right choice).

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.