Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vibration and shaking when grabbing front brake  (Read 7576 times)

jls1098

vibration and shaking when grabbing front brake
« on: April 22, 2012, 03:04:12 PM »

Hi, looking for your thoughts on this. At speeds over 35, grabbing a load of front brake gives me a lot of vibration and shaking. At 30 mph and under it stops smooth as silk. Pulled the fuse on the ABS seemed to make no difference. Dealer installed new front tire (old original one with 9000 mi. was beat up and had a slice in it from some unknown object ). Tech supposedly road tested the bike, I doubt it. Thanks.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: vibration and shaking when grabbing front brake
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 03:13:30 PM »

Make sure your axle is tight. could be a bad tire. :nixweiss:
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 04:24:02 PM »

I had a similar issue and replaced the rotors.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 08:46:33 PM »

Did the issue appear before or after of the tire was changed?  If before, I'd think foyers.  If after, think anything that tech touched at the time...  axel wheel bearings.  Have you put the bike up on a stand and rotated the front tire?

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 09:06:35 PM »

Did the issue appear before or after of the tire was changed?  If before, I'd think foyers.  If after, think anything that tech touched at the time...  axel wheel bearings.  Have you put the bike up on a stand and rotated the front tire?

Greg,

What do you mean by Foyers?      Rotors ???   :nixweiss:   :nixweiss:
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 09:07:31 PM »

I'd think foyers.

Greg, is that the iPad version of rotors?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 09:00:42 AM »

jls1098, please clarify your first post.  Did the problem occur only after the tire change, or was the tire changed as part of an attempt to fix the already existing problem?  Details like that make a big difference when requesting help.

If the problem started immediately AFTER the tire was changed, it's pretty obvious where you need to go.  If the problem existed BEFORE the tire change, then there are several other possiblities, the most obvious being rotors since they have been a known problem.  Measuring rotor runout is pretty simple with the right tools, and would be my first step. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jls1098

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »

Hey, thanks for the input.problem was there before the tire was changed and after. yes the rotors are the next step but I don't have the tools for that (yet). On a brighter note. When the service manager at Barnetts HD in Las Cruces, NM saw the tire he mentioned he has seen its strange wear pattern before,( tiny wrinkles around the face of the tire, ) He called the MOCO and they wanted to see the tire and replaced it under warranty and to send the tire to them for inspection, free new tire at 9000 mi. Scott deserves a big pat on the back. Also small tears are happening on the seat stitching, brought that to his attention. New seat is on order. any chance the rotor are under warranty?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 11:47:41 AM »

Hey, thanks for the input.problem was there before the tire was changed and after. yes the rotors are the next step but I don't have the tools for that (yet). On a brighter note. When the service manager at Barnetts HD in Las Cruces, NM saw the tire he mentioned he has seen its strange wear pattern before,( tiny wrinkles around the face of the tire, ) He called the MOCO and they wanted to see the tire and replaced it under warranty and to send the tire to them for inspection, free new tire at 9000 mi. Scott deserves a big pat on the back. Also small tears are happening on the seat stitching, brought that to his attention. New seat is on order. any chance the rotor are under warranty?

Absolutely they are covered by the warranty.  You don't need to buy the tools to check them, the dealership should do that.  In fact, they should have done it when they were working on the bike the last time, assuming you told them about the brake shudder.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 11:51:59 AM »

Greg, is that the iPad version of rotors?

DROID version.   :huepfenlol2:  Poor proof reading on my part.  Jerry said it well.  Since the problem preexisted the tire change, I'd suspect "foyers," um, roters.  Should be a warranty issue, especially if dealer failed to diagnose the problem.  

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 01:19:07 PM »

Mine (2011 RG) does same thing and it continues the viberation (also slowing it's pulse) until stopped if I'm applying pressure to the front brakes. I think I have warpage :D
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 09:51:20 PM »

If it only happens when you brake, then I'd suspect some rotor warping. But it's weird that it only happens at 30 MPH and up.

How many miles do you have on your brake pads? Just curious... if they are unevenly worn, this might be a contributing factor.

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

jls1098

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 11:27:14 PM »

just rolled 9000mi. as I stated the stitching is starting to come apart on the seat and that is being addressed but I'll be setting up an appt. this week for the brake issue, it is driving me crazy.. Also probably will order the WO517's Here, in New Mexico, it usually long stretches of road and the need to sit back and relax is what I'm looking for while rolling on the miles. guess I've out grown the Speed Races days.

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 22 queries.